Erm, I'd say the longest proportion of diesel under wires, ermm.....
Birmingham - Scotland!
I agree on that and was supprised no one mentioned it. About 3hr 40ish from Wolvo' so add on 20mins from B'ham.
Chris
Erm, I'd say the longest proportion of diesel under wires, ermm.....
Birmingham - Scotland!
It isn't a 'short line' though as it carries on to Carlisle and there isn't a justification for electrifying the whole route that I can see.
sprinterguy said:Heaton: The final outpost of the Pacer railbus. It has a nice ring to it, and I can fully imagine that it'll be the case.
It isn't a 'short line' though as it carries on to Carlisle and there isn't a justification for electrifying the whole route that I can see.
Erm, I'd say the longest proportion of diesel under wires, ermm.....
Birmingham - Scotland!
For the sake of argument, I'm not talking about services that are 100% electrified (STW 158s on the Lymington branch, Virgin's Birmingham - Edinburgh Voyagers) - this is a "stock" issue and could be resolved with EMUs. I am talking about the diesel services which could become EMU if little gaps are electrified.
Erm, I'd say the longest proportion of diesel under wires, ermm.....
Birmingham - Scotland!
If you read the original post then you'll see that routes entirely under the wires are discounted from this discussion, as they are simply an issue of insufficient rolling stock as opposed to an infrastructure issue, where a short unelectrified section is holding back electric operation on the route.I agree on that and was supprised no one mentioned it. About 3hr 40ish from Wolvo' so add on 20mins from B'ham.
Chris
If you read the original post then you'll see that routes entirely under the wires are discounted from this discussion, as they are simply an issue of insufficient rolling stock as opposed to an infrastructure issue, where a short unelectrified section is holding back electric operation on the route.
EDIT: tbtc beat me to it.
Do mine still count then
Manchester - Bournemouth XC (OHLE Manchester - Coventry (Birmingham NS if via Solihull) then 3rd rail somewhere in the south (at a guess Basingstoke - Bournemouth)
what about harrogat trains, leeds harrogate isnt far?
Out of interest, how would Birmingham - Walsall - Rugeley - Stafford compare time-wise with the busy route through Wolves?
Birmingham New St - Rugeley TV takes nearly an hour and then Rugeley TV to Stafford takes about 10 minutes. So about twice as long assuming you have a direct connection at RGL (such as when they used to run to Stafford), otherwise longer.
So plausible diversion route then?
You put it better than I did!
Another example I'm wondering about is the famous Liverpool - Norwich
Liverpool station is electrified
Unelectrified as far as Deansgate
Electrified Deansgate - Hazel Grove
Unelectrified Hazel Grove - Grantham
Electrified Grantham - Peterborough
Unelectrified Peterborough - Ely
Electrified at Ely
Unelectrified Ely - Norwich
Electrified at Norwich
Thats a lot of gaps to fill - sadly the main one from Hazel Grove to Grantham is too long to ever consider EMUs on this service in the short/medium term.
If you mean travelling from BHM to STA via WVH or RGL then:
Birmingham New St - Wolves - Stafford takes ~35 minutes
Birmingham New St - Rugeley TV takes nearly an hour and then Rugeley TV to Stafford takes about 10 minutes. So about twice as long assuming you have a direct connection at RGL (such as when they used to run to Stafford), otherwise longer.
Well, wind it on ten years, assume that Liverpool-Deansgate is done as part of the NW scheme and the MML is wired as far as Fitzwilliam (which I hope will happen). Suddenly it looks more like this:
Liverpool station is electrified
Electrified as far as Hazel Grove
Unelectrified Hazel Grove - Dore
Sheffield station is electrified
Electrified Dore - Nottingham
Unelectrified Nottingham - Grantham
Electrified Grantham - Peterborough
Unelectrified Peterborough - Ely
Electrified at Ely
Unelectrified Ely - Norwich
Electrified at Norwich
Filling in the Ely-Peterborough gap can be justified as diversionary route for the ECML, Hazel Grove-Dore maybe as part of an electric freight route, same possibly for Nottingham-Grantham. Ely-Norwich is more spurious, but it counts as a "might as well finish the job" section. Electric Norwich-Glasgow anyone?
I went away and did the maths...
Gatwick to Reading 41% electrified
London Bridge to Uckfield 46% electrified
Brighton to Ashford 62% electrified
All three together incur less than 80 route miles of electrification by my count.
Ore to Ashford electrification would be a good one, not so much for the Brighton service (which is very popular and often full) but for Javelins reaching Hastings, which would be a really good boost for the town.
Potentially, but my suspicion is that it will be only cleared for 170/153 units (and maybe some others too) as run down the line from New St to Rugeley Trent Valley (and then used to continue onto Stafford)
Potentially, but my suspicion is that it will be only cleared for 170/153 units (and maybe some others too) as run down the line from New St to Rugeley Trent Valley (and then used to continue onto Stafford)
I've not heard of the likes of Voyagers ever running down the Chase Line.