anti-pacer
Established Member
As the question asks... but I'm talking in the UK, not just England.
How do you define "busiest"?
Do "services" include all rail (including light rail) or just National Rail services?
If you're talking pure numbers, and including light rail, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't Manchester in that case.
Bristol = almost zilch. The main station is too far away from the commercial/cultural/retail/educational areas of the city.How do the following fare for commuter flows;
Birmingham
Bristol
Cardiff
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Newcastle
Sheffield
Bristol = almost zilch. The main station is too far away from the commercial/cultural/retail/educational areas of the city.
I wouldn't call the Glasgow Subway "a bit useless". It does a great job of covering areas of the city with no heavy rail station.Out of the most people passing through the main city centre stations per day Birmingham I think has the most although the figure is hard to calculate as both Birmingham and Glasgow both have light rail systems but the railway more popular to commute as the light rail systems are a bit useless. In Manchester and Sheffield though the light rail systems go to many parts of the city and are a good way to commute as the can reach many people.
I would say overall Birmingham would have the highest number of overall commuters but on a weighted ratio it will be somewhere small.
I wouldn't call the Glasgow Subway "a bit useless". It does a great job of covering areas of the city with no heavy rail station.
That's what Glasgow's heavy rail does.I know it does but it doesn't go out into the suburbs the same as the Manchester Metrolink or the London Underground and the Sheffield Supertram.
The opening times on Sundays could do with being improved, though.I wouldn't call the Glasgow Subway "a bit useless". It does a great job of covering areas of the city with no heavy rail station.
Agreed, this should be sorted in the next couple of years once new rolling stock is bought and full automation is brought in.The opening times on Sundays could do with being improved, though.
How do you define "busiest"?
Do "services" include all rail (including light rail) or just National Rail services?
I think the Hyndland East Junction - Finnieston West Junction section of the Argyle/North Clyde lines (with over 30 tph in the peaks and 28 tph outside of the peak on weekdays) can lay claim to that title, at least in Scotland.Or you could express the busiest services as passengers per hour per track.
I think the Hyndland East Junction - Finnieston West Junction section of the Argyle/North Clyde lines (with over 30 tph in the peaks and 28 tph outside of the peak on weekdays) can lay claim to that title, at least in Scotland.
I still think its got to be Birmingham if we were doing conurbation then the largest one has to be the West Midland as it also includes Wolverhampton, Walsall and Solihull which all have a fair few commuters as well as Birmingham.
Varies between 6 and 3 car EMU's, you do the maths! 318/320/334's all operate this line. My local station, Partick has a train roughly every 4 minutes peak. And that's just one Glasgow station, never mind the lines that go elsewhere all over the city.and how many seats are there in those trains?