• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When will Scotland return to some sort of normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2014
Messages
6,295
Shops to open but not malls. Crazy.

I guess that gives Edinburgh an advantage as most shops are in Princess Street and outdoors so I guess most of these shops will open?

Fine if you want tartan tat, useless if you want anything else.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2014
Messages
6,295
Malls require queueing indoors which is higher risk? That said, I can't help but think that one is just to be that little "better" than Bozza.

It's nonsense. The malls near me (The Gyle and Livingston Centre) are already open because the essential shops within them are!
 

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
So Huntergreed be a devil and cross the Border - no one is waiting to catch you.
I can assure you I already have done and plan to again this week, however the arguments that I give on here are based from the view of the general population which, at the moment, are advised to not travel further than 5 miles. In reality, nobody is following this and she's deluded if she believes that everyone is, which I genuinely think she might.
 

Journeyman

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2014
Messages
6,295
In which case drop the 5 mile thing!

I can see why she wants it, but if the aim is to (a) keep Central Belt inhabitants out of the Highlands, and (b) keep the Northern English daytrippers out entirely, then she could up it to something more useful like maybe 30 miles, because there's nothing really worth bothering too much about within that distance of Carlisle or Newcastle.

Meanwhile, I (in England) drove from MK to the Dales for a day's hiking today, I don't believe this is likely to have killed anybody.

The five mile thing is ridiculous. If I drive 40 to 50 miles in any direction from where I live (West Lothian), I can go hiking in beautiful surroundings where I can guarantee that even under normal circumstances I won't see another person.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,673
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
The five mile thing is ridiculous. If I drive 40 to 50 miles in any direction from where I live (West Lothian), I can go hiking in beautiful surroundings where I can guarantee that even under normal circumstances I won't see another person.

It even prevents people to the east of Edinburgh going for a walk in the Pentlands, which is ludicrous beyond belief.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,835
Location
Stirlingshire
I can assure you I already have done and plan to again this week, however the arguments that I give on here are based from the view of the general population which, at the moment, are advised to not travel further than 5 miles. In reality, nobody is following this and she's deluded if she believes that everyone is, which I genuinely think she might.

Why does someone not put that very question to her or at the Press Conference ?
 

Gadget88

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2013
Messages
811
“That means not travelling more than five miles for leisure and recreation - although that limit does not apply to meeting family and friends.”

You can travel if meeting family so how would they know?
 

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
“That means not travelling more than five miles for leisure and recreation - although that limit does not apply to meeting family and friends.”

You can travel if meeting family so how would they know?
This highlights just how ludicrous the rule really is. She threatened to enforce it before, but she couldn’t because everyone would just say “I’m visiting family”.

She needs to get her head out of cloud 9 where she wants to get deaths down to 0 every day and come crashing back to reality and wake up to the serious economic crisis she’s caused through prolonging these restrictions.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,295
“That means not travelling more than five miles for leisure and recreation - although that limit does not apply to meeting family and friends.”

You can travel if meeting family so how would they know?

There is no enforcement and its a guideline
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,673
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
“That means not travelling more than five miles for leisure and recreation - although that limit does not apply to meeting family and friends.”

You can travel if meeting family so how would they know?

That's beyond bizarre. So you can go distanced hillwalking in the Highlands with a friend who lives there, but you can't go on your own? (Or aren't you allowed to do distanced exercise with someone up there?)
 

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
“That means not travelling more than five miles for leisure and recreation - although that limit does not apply to meeting family and friends.”

You can travel if meeting family so how would they know?

I thought initially it was at least 5 miles for exercise as its "local"? Well I would define that as "local" as by bus I can only go as far as Broughty Ferry/Monifieth or just Dundee City Centre? So if that is said ... I am no longer allowed to walk to Broughty Ferry for exercise but I can by bus? laughable! (I am sure its made up as she goes along but she has more privilege to go on jaunts willy nilly!)

I am currently on a wee holiday initial plan was to go to Newcastle but due to COVID unable too but I am finding this whole setup disappointing, I was even trying alternative places to visit by bus at least but even that I am not able to visit ie St Andrews/Perth (just change of scenery and getting out of Dundee), surely she needs to get head out the sand and open up places than still isolate them its fast becoming depressing!
 

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
Why does someone not put that very question to her or at the Press Conference ?


Supposedly the media possibly choose not to ask.... but lets ask Boris is the tactic though....

Just to add I am no defender of any politician or party I find them all patronising idiots be UK or Scottish Government but I am finding with the Scottish Government is going too slow and people are wanting to move forward in life (yes I get the cautious approach) but what happens when we get into full tilt cold/flu season? Christmas cancelled? (before that Halloween Guy Fawkes) be banned? Lets suck the fun out of life/people and stay indoors! Nah but its ok for politicians to do as they please?
 
Last edited:

kez19

Established Member
Joined
15 May 2020
Messages
2,205
Location
Dundee
Is anyone still paying attention to this "5 mile nonsense" - only the timid suckers heeding her every word I would have thought.

Can I assure people there are no checks anywhere. I have been travelling throughout the lockdown period on Trains,Planes and Automobiles from St Andrews to London and lots of points inbetween.

Although I am a Key Worker at no point have I ever been asked to verify this on any mode of Transport.

So Huntergreed be a devil and cross the Border - no one is waiting to catch you.


Glad to hear! :) I understand that routes are for key workers (am one myself) but was just for days out but it seems I am just waiting for Phase 3 to begin! I also thought Phase 2 was more of an open to travel but based on "geographics"?, I think its just blind leading the blind but thats what annoys me in general with politicians its still one rule for them and another for us, someone in general public gets caught will be fined but be a politician slapped wrist!
 

Journeyman

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2014
Messages
6,295
That's beyond bizarre. So you can go distanced hillwalking in the Highlands with a friend who lives there, but you can't go on your own? (Or aren't you allowed to do distanced exercise with someone up there?)

I know - isn't it stupid? I'm told I have to stay in my town, which is crowded, and I'm not allowed under any circumstances to venture into the completely empty space that's only half an hour's drive away. I can walk five miles in just over an hour, FFS - is it illegal walking further?!?
 
Last edited:

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
I know - isn't it stupid? I'm told I have to stay in my town, which is crowded, and I'm not allowed under any circumstances to venture into the completely empty space that's only half an hour's drive away. I can walk five miles in just over an hour, FFS - is it illegal walking further?!?
For reference, it's not illegal to travel any distance as it's only guidance rather than legislation, however it would go against the guidance to walk further than 5 miles (but that would be a 10+ mile walk as you have to come back, which is longer than the average daily walk that most people do). I actually think Sturgeon would actually get higher compliance with other measures, and look much better if she dropped the rule, as it's stupid, illogical, and completely unnecessary.
 

Journeyman

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2014
Messages
6,295
For reference, it's not illegal to travel any distance as it's only guidance rather than legislation, however it would go against the guidance to walk further than 5 miles (but that would be a 10+ mile walk as you have to come back, which is longer than the average daily walk that most people do). I actually think Sturgeon would actually get higher compliance with other measures, and look much better if she dropped the rule, as it's stupid, illogical, and completely unnecessary.

I can walk 10 miles without breaking a sweat. I've done 16 miles during this lockdown. There isn't much else to do.
 

takno

Verified Rep - Traksy
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
6,593
Personally I was looking forward to going to the zoo. Now I discover that whilst I can get in, the best animals are at the top of the hill which is more than 5 miles from my flat. Presumably I could just take the rules into my own hands, but honestly it's such an inane rule that I'm not sure which interpretation would have me off nasty Nic's Christmas card list
 

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,160
Location
Elginshire
Personally I was looking forward to going to the zoo. Now I discover that whilst I can get in, the best animals are at the top of the hill which is more than 5 miles from my flat. Presumably I could just take the rules into my own hands, but honestly it's such an inane rule that I'm not sure which interpretation would have me off nasty Nic's Christmas card list
Oh for goodness sake, grow up. This thread is supposed to be about when Scotland is supposed to be returning to some sort of normal, but it has degenerated into the "I hate Nicola Sturgeon" thread. By all means criticise the government of the day if you don't like the decisions it makes, but at least try to keep the heid and stay reasonably mature.
 

PaulMc7

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2019
Messages
4,029
Oh for goodness sake, grow up. This thread is supposed to be about when Scotland is supposed to be returning to some sort of normal, but it has degenerated into the "I hate Nicola Sturgeon" thread. By all means criticise the government of the day if you don't like the decisions it makes, but at least try to keep the heid and stay reasonably mature.

Fully agree with this and it's why I've refrained from saying a lot on here. You may not like the SNP or Nicola Sturgeon but at least be an adult about it. Not everything is perfect but let's be realistic I'd rather have Nicola Sturgeon in charge than Boris. Hopefully we will get to normality a bit quicker from here going forward if numbers continue to drop even more
 

takno

Verified Rep - Traksy
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
6,593
Oh for goodness sake, grow up. This thread is supposed to be about when Scotland is supposed to be returning to some sort of normal, but it has degenerated into the "I hate Nicola Sturgeon" thread. By all means criticise the government of the day if you don't like the decisions it makes, but at least try to keep the heid and stay reasonably mature.
Standard nat tactics. Anybody with the temerity to disagree with you is being childish, and we're to "keep our heads" and not criticise the government however childishly inept they get.

We are all criticising points of policy which are terrible and damaging. If it turns slightly personal about Sturgeon sometimes that's really only because she personally fronts up a self-aggrandizing press conference every day to tell us, against a growing pile of evidence, that the abuse is for our own good
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,673
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
For reference, it's not illegal to travel any distance as it's only guidance rather than legislation, however it would go against the guidance to walk further than 5 miles (but that would be a 10+ mile walk as you have to come back, which is longer than the average daily walk that most people do). I actually think Sturgeon would actually get higher compliance with other measures, and look much better if she dropped the rule, as it's stupid, illogical, and completely unnecessary.

You can actually walk just over 41 miles (theoretically, the road layout would make it not quite that) by walking out to a circular route of 5 mile radius centred on your house, walking round (just over 31 miles) then walking back. When it looked likely, in the "deepest" lockdown, that we'd follow the French in saying "no more than 1km from home" I did notice a roughly 4km route that complied with that!

Zig-zag the route a bit and it goes up even further.
 

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
Wales have now announced that they are opening shops on Monday, along with scrapping their 5 mile rule and reopening tourism on 6th July, roughly in line with English.

I can only hope that Sturgeon will see some sense and start to take a more balanced approach, as we’re now far behind the other 3 devolved administrations, and she seems to still insist the virus is running at dangerous levels (20 cases a day, 0-10 deaths most days). I however don’t feel optimistic and can’t help but thinking that she’s going to insist on following this overly cautious path at the expense of the mental well-being and economy of Scotland.
 

Gadget88

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2013
Messages
811
They are still using avoid public transport message online I pointed out me and my wife will learn to drive and they are actually driving people off trains for good. Shame they can’t see this. Meanwhile In Belgium they get ten free rail journeys.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,673
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
UK alert level moved to level 3 now will Sturgeon act quicker?

How on earth can that be justified? The number of cases has flatlined, and you can clearly see so from the graphs, while contact tracing as implemented is a sham. Or do they think the steroid discovery is enough to do that?
 

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Joined
16 Jan 2016
Messages
3,178
Location
Dumfries
UK alert level moved to level 3 now will Sturgeon act quicker?
Today and the next week is going to be interesting, as it’s going to be much harder for her to justify her actions:

Wales are opening shops on Monday, and lifting the 5 mile rule and reopening tourism only 2 days after England

Alert level has dropped to 3 in England, which proportionally has a much higher presence of the virus than Scotland, and if England are deeming this “safe”, then it’s going to be hard for her to keep saying “the virus still runs a risk of running completely out of control if we ease up now”, which seems to be her favourite excuse.
 

Journeyman

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2014
Messages
6,295
Today and the next week is going to be interesting, as it’s going to be much harder for her to justify her actions:

Wales are opening shops on Monday, and lifting the 5 mile rule and reopening tourism only 2 days after England

Alert level has dropped to 3 in England, which proportionally has a much higher presence of the virus than Scotland, and if England are deeming this “safe”, then it’s going to be hard for her to keep saying “the virus still runs a risk of running completely out of control if we ease up now”, which seems to be her favourite excuse.

The alert level is UK wide and required agreement from the devolved administrations, so it makes Scotland's dragging of feet even less justifiable.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top