• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When the ticket office just can't find the fare

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kieron

Established Member
Joined
22 Mar 2012
Messages
3,289
Location
Connah's Quay
SVH can be paired with any other ticket in the opposite direction (except another SVH). Does not need to be Advance.
Just to say, a SVH can be paired with another SVH. You just can't do it if a SVR for the same total price would do the same thing. So, if one direction has a different discount to the other, or there's a gap of over a month between the dates (and probably a couple of other situations I've forgotten), it will give you two tickets.
 

Muzer

Established Member
Joined
3 Feb 2012
Messages
2,784
Just to say, a SVH can be paired with another SVH. You just can't do it if a SVR for the same total price would do the same thing. So, if one direction has a different discount to the other, or there's a gap of over a month between the dates (and probably a couple of other situations I've forgotten), it will give you two tickets.
Annoyingly I once tried to book an SVR via the Virgin website over New Year's and it ended up retailing me two SVHes. So not only did I pay more (because the second one would be after the fares increase and so more expensive), but the flexibility I had intended to be present was not there. I was very angry.
 

mmh

Established Member
Joined
13 Aug 2016
Messages
4,316
Annoyingly I once tried to book an SVR via the Virgin website over New Year's and it ended up retailing me two SVHes. So not only did I pay more (because the second one would be after the fares increase and so more expensive), but the flexibility I had intended to be present was not there. I was very angry.

I'm sure many people do, but if you're knowledgeable about ticket types why did you want to buy an SVR in advance? Genuine question, not a criticism - many times I've gone to buy a ticket online in advance but been too late so just bought on the day.

(Personally SVHs are useful to me, but only since Virgin decided there was a peak time from North Wales to London, and then years later once we'd got used to that decided arriving in Llandudno Junction before midday was clearly rush hour. Yup, it's packed. Utter shysters)
 

Muzer

Established Member
Joined
3 Feb 2012
Messages
2,784
I'm sure many people do, but if you're knowledgeable about ticket types why did you want to buy an SVR in advance? Genuine question, not a criticism - many times I've gone to buy a ticket online in advance but been too late so just bought on the day.

(Personally SVHs are useful to me, but only since Virgin decided there was a peak time from North Wales to London, and then years later once we'd got used to that decided arriving in Llandudno Junction before midday was clearly rush hour. Yup, it's packed. Utter shysters)
I wanted seat reservations. Or maybe I wanted a weird origin and this was in the days before SWT TVMs were good at that. Honestly I can't remember, but I'm sure I had a good reason!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top