Gareth Marston
Established Member
Yes the ones that offer a whole 1% saving in some cases eh!
And all with different restrictions compared to the WMT set CDR's between Salop and International!
Yes the ones that offer a whole 1% saving in some cases eh!
Indeed. You are quite right.
However, if the customer wants Stockport to Manchester Piccadilly, and you clarify with them that they only want to go to Manchester Piccadilly and no further as they will be being picked up from there, then that doesn't actually solve the problem that three different destinations potentially need to be checked in order to offer the customer all of the options.
I'm wondering how anyone finds out about the existence of this fare, let alone actually buying one?!
To be fair in this particular case LM did advertise the LM and XC only fares on their website at one point.That's a very good question. I stumbled upon it by chance back in the days of active hunting for good value MML fares. Fares are supposed to be advertised in the journey planners but that isn't happening here. I happen to agree with the concept of station grouping as it makes it easier for those who retail and use the tickets.
At Paddington I asked for a ticket to Cardiff a few weeks back thinking I was getting a ticket to Cardiff Stations. I didn't realise it came out as Cardiff Central which technically made it invalid to go to Cardiff Queen Street, which is where I was actually going.
It seems suits the arrangements of the TOCs to undo this particular element of simplicity, which was actually a good thing.
I'm wondering how anyone finds out about the existence of this fare, let alone actually buying one?!
To be fair in this particular case LM did advertise the LM and XC only fares on their website at one point.
I found the fare on my phone doing a quick search specifying from Euston and via Tamworth. It gave an itinary taking 2 hours 58 minutes changing at Tamworth and Derby
View attachment 47858 View attachment 47857
There seems to be a Burnley group in practice if not in theory.Was there ever a Cardiff Stations group? If there was, it has not existed for a long time! A price differential applies for many origins to Cardiff Queen Street vs Cardiff Central, which I think is the main reason for not having a group. The same applies to Exeter St Davids and Exeter Central. It is also bizarre that there is not a station group which contains Edinburgh and Haymarket (call it what you will) and also a Burnley Stations group containing Burnley Manchester Road, Burnley Central and Burnley Barracks.
On another issue, two weeks ago on a Saturday I couldn't purchase a ticket at London KGX which is on BR fares. I wanted a single from London KGX to Scarborough, the specific fare being this one:
http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=KGX&dest=SCA&grpo=1072&tkt=SSU
But they were only coming up with this one at King's Cross station:
http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=KGX&dest=SCA&grpo=1072&tkt=SSS
Were they wrong or is it an invalid fare?
They were correctOn another issue, two weeks ago on a Saturday I couldn't purchase a ticket at London KGX which is on BR fares. I wanted a single from London KGX to Scarborough, the specific fare being this one:
http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=KGX&dest=SCA&grpo=1072&tkt=SSU
But they were only coming up with this one at King's Cross station:
http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=KGX&dest=SCA&grpo=1072&tkt=SSS
Were they wrong or is it an invalid fare?
On this occasion, I believe the booking office were correct. The SSS is the super off-peak single, priced at £1 less than the return; this is universally available. The SSU is the same as an SSS, but priced at half the cost of the super off-peak return (SSR), and is only available on VTEC's website, not at booking offices.
It's the same idea as the SVH fares (originally Saver Half-Return) that still survive on Virgin West Coast (though an SVH is, I believe, only available when purchased together with an advance fare for the other direction to make up a return).
On another issue, two weeks ago on a Saturday I couldn't purchase a ticket at London KGX which is on BR fares. I wanted a single from London KGX to Scarborough, the specific fare being this one:
http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=KGX&dest=SCA&grpo=1072&tkt=SSU
But they were only coming up with this one at King's Cross station:
http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=KGX&dest=SCA&grpo=1072&tkt=SSS
Were they wrong or is it an invalid fare?
That's slightly surprising, I would have expected them to know.Ah, I see. Thanks everyone! The person behind the counter couldn't tell me why this fare wasn't available, they just pointed to their computer and said it wasn't appearing on it.
Me tooThat's slightly surprising, I would have expected them to know.
Just because a fare exists doesn’t meN it’s available on every service
Exactly - that's my issue, is there a (convenient) way to find them that I'm missing, or is it a "exhaustingly hunt them down" scenario? I suspect the latter, but would hate to be missing out!
Some tickets only valid via particularly long and slow routes (e.g. Shrewsbury to London via 'WARMSTER-SALSBRY'!) won't show up by default, so you'll need to select the 'show slower routes' option in your chosen ticket website. Trainline-based systems (e.g. VTWC, WMT, XC, NT, SR etc.) are slow and not very useful for this - showing you every Advance tier even though this is pointless, since the cheapest is always shown by default! It also won't sell a ticket unless it can do so in conjunction with an itinerary.Thanks both - I was thinking that if it was on brfares then it was a ticket that is currently offered (even if in v. limited numbers/hard to find), didn't realise that it was more a list of what could be offered rather than what is offered.
I'll continue my usual haphazard methods!
Thanks both - I was thinking that if it was on brfares then it was a ticket that is currently offered (even if in v. limited numbers/hard to find), didn't realise that it was more a list of what could be offered rather than what is offered.
I'll continue my usual haphazard methods!
It shows what is in the fares database. A lot of what is in there is issuing NLC restricted or subject to availability.
It can only show what's in the data. In the case of SVH/SSH on-line only off-peak single fares, at least Virgin (West Coast) put a block in the data to show that the fare cannot be sold; you can see it in the fare details screen on BR Fares e.g. here: http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=EUS&dest=BHM&grpo=1072&grpd=0418&tkt=SVH (see image in attachment).I wonder if it might be beneficial if BRfares carried a more explicit/obvious warning about this?
I believed it was location controlled.It can only show what's in the data. In the case of SVH/SSH on-line only off-peak single fares, at least Virgin (West Coast) put a block in the data to show that the fare cannot be sold; you can see it in the fare details screen on BR Fares e.g. here: http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=EUS&dest=BHM&grpo=1072&grpd=0418&tkt=SVH (see image in attachment).
However Virgin (East Coast) have not even deigned to put such a block into the data, meaning there is nothing at all (apart from whitelists/blacklists and specific hacks added by TIS and journey planner suppliers) to show that the SSU online-only off-peak single fare should be sold only online.