I've been reading through this thread, and it's interesting being a bus driver myself working in the south Wales valleys. Unfortunately, there are a few pigheaded wheelchair users. I have received abuse from one or two wheelchair users. With this ruling, it has gone to some of their heads. There is one user, always accompanied with spouse, has openly admitted they will do all they can to get the driver sacked if a person with buggy or pram refuses to move, and the driver does not make them. Fortunately it has not come to anybody refusing.
I've been driving and overheard many conversations. Whilst most will move or fold buggy/pram, some have said they will point blankly refuse. One said they would refuse has they have paid for their journey, whilst the wheelchair user travels free. This is technically correct. The wheelchair user has a free disabled pass. They don't pay, the local authority (council) reimburses the company.
Another person with a pram, wanted to board the bus, but was refused has there was already a wheelchair on. "Can't the wheelchair get off? (sic) was reply to the driver who refused entry. The next bus was fifteen minutes away, so no big problem.
I don't think we've heard the end of this, regardless of the court case ruling. It is only a matter of time when a woman with a buggy/pram is forced off the bus, not by the driver, but other passengers. Living in the south Wales valleys, many drivers are seen off duty on their rest days. It will only be a matter of time when the husband/boyfriend/brother of the woman identifies the driver, and then attacks him. I hope the Judges who ruled in this case, will be quick enough to hand out severe prison terms in these cases. Somehow I think not.
I for one, dread seeing a wheelchair user at a bus stop when there are people with buggies/prams on the bus.
Some wheelchair users want equal rights, but to be more equal than others. Fortunately, most wheelchair users are fine and understanding.