• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

what type of traction is best

What type of Traction is best?

  • Steam

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Diesel

    Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Electric

    Votes: 6 21.4%

  • Total voters
    28
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,842
Location
Nowhere Heath
I grew up in the diesel age, but follow steam aswell.

Great Western Railway and English Electric for me!! :D:D

Some bleedin' good tastes there.

After my previous post, it should be noted that I don't mind steam, and that the GWR ruled supreme in my book out of that choice, but I'll always rate diesel over everything else. I've got a favourite steam loco, 7802 'Bradley Manor', but if it was a choice of that or a HST, 37, 40...(you get the idea) then it would be the latter choice first.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EE Type 3

Established Member
Joined
23 Mar 2006
Messages
1,785
Location
Llangollen MPD
Some bleedin' good tastes there.

After my previous post, it should be noted that I don't mind steam, and that the GWR ruled supreme in my book out of that choice, but I'll always rate diesel over everything else. I've got a favourite steam loco, 7802 'Bradley Manor', but if it was a choice of that or a HST, 37, 40...(you get the idea) then it would be the latter choice first.

But Bradley is a cracker of a loco :)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DnEjnGbwrSI
 

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2008
Messages
3,000
Location
Cambridge
As an enthusiast, I'd say diesel, I grew up with real stinking smoking diesels and screaming Valentas, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

On the other hand, if you say "which is best" this is probably a different question and (as discussed in the steam thread elsewhere) you can't beat the performance and emissions of electric, and furthermore, it's absolutely future proof.

I accept the point on CO2 emissions (though sceptical whether the efficiency of a steam loco is enough to outweigh the larger CO2 emssion per kWh compared to oil or gas). And remember it's not just CO2 that diesel and steam emit, and if generation is focussed at a power station that is where you can most efficiently deal with all the emissions, then you're on a winner.

Then in however many years when our power comes from nuclear, wind, solar etc etc, you need to nothing to the rail infrastructure or rolling stock.

I VOTE ELECTRIC!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top