Lancashire 9F
Member
Whats best Steam, Diesel or electric
Get more variety in diesals than in steam plus they each have a distinctive sound whereas steamers are all the same basically.No way Diesel its so boring:-x
Steam RULES!!!![]()

Sparks are great, but I prefer diesel clag.and general love for the sparks.
Sparks are great, but I prefer diesel clag.![]()
Hmm... I want to say Diesel, but Electrics are better for the environment and I do my best to be green... so its gotta be... Electric.
I'm just not a big fan of Steam myself.
But you have a non valid comparison, unless you assume maximum loading of the DMU/EMU as well...........and should a steam loco not be compared to a diesel loco (cl66Eco?) and electric loco (cl90)?
Passenger rail diesel is 69 g CO2 Pass Km
Passenger electric is 51g CO2 Pass km
And steam loco Tornado with a Railtour and 500 people behind her is
15000 / 500 = 30 g CO2 Pass km, that’s nearly 4 times better than a Toyota Prius. Most of what comes out of a steam loco, is well steam.
So go green, go steam!
Sources
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/08/01/article-1040538-0224D21200000578-8_468x272_popup.jpg
http://www.atoc-comms.org/admin/userfiles/Energy & Emissions Statement - web version.pdf

Diesel for me, depends what era your born in though.