• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What track layout changes will be needed on the GWML once Old Oak Common opens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin_roche

Member
Joined
26 Feb 2019
Messages
997
There has been some speculation in the Elizabeth Line threads about services to OOC and rather than answer there I thought it best to start a new thread. In 2013 on the London Reconnections web site there was an article which speculated on the possible need to expand the track layout between Old Oak Common and Paddington to 8 tracks. It included the then proposed layout for the Elizabeth Line and a more speculative suggestion for the line once OOC was complete.

The key issue is that the Crossrail service beneath London is headway-driven, whereas the service west of the Royal Oak portal is timetable-driven. The section from Royal Oak to OOC forms the boundary between the two, where services are regulated. A more intensive service over this two-track section will make the whole route prone to disruption. It will almost certainly need to be quadrupled. Four-tracking from Kensal will also allow WCML and GWML services to be sorted, and this provides a buffer against disruptions on the alternative routes west.

OOC-layout-east-final.jpg

I think the current layout is similar to the proposal from 2009 with a major difference between Ladbrook Grove and Great Western Road which causes a conflict between EL trains and any slow GWR service on the relief lines. I think the original plan was that the Elizabeth Line services would have exclusive use of the relief lines in this area. I see that might still happen with the GWR services moving to the fast lines.

There has been little information about any actual plans regarding services at OOC from TfL who seem to be hoping that HS2 will pay for everything so best not to mention it in case they get asked for some cash.

With the delay to the completion of the HS2 station at Euston improvements to the relief lines might be needed more than ever, to handle all the people wanting to get to Central London. This raises a number of questions:

1/ Is it even possible to fit 8 tracks under the bridge at Golbourne Road?

2/ Is there still anyone in the Kensington and Chelsea council pushing for a new station on the Elizabeth Line in either of the locations mentioned in the article?

3/ ETCS L2 will be installed all the way to Paddington by the time OOC opens, so is there any need for 4 Elizabeth line tracks?

4/ Would the EL tracks between OOC and Paddington be better served by the use of CBTC on that section of track?

Does anyone know if any of the above questions have been answered yet and if not what do you think the answer might be?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,941
It will remain 4 running lines to Paddington, with the split to 8 lines / platforms quite close to OOC.

It can’t be CBTC on the reliefs, as they will see occasional use by GWR trains when the Mains are under possession.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
I think I’d just write off that article as irrelevant and well out of date speculation. There’s certainly never been any mention of anything like their suggested 8 track layout in any NR route study, or NR route strategy, and as far as I‘ve seen more recently all the track drawings that have cropped up in relation to Old Oak Common, (eg on the HS2 website), show a four track layout generally, only widening to eight tracks through the platforms.
 

kevin_roche

Member
Joined
26 Feb 2019
Messages
997
It will remain 4 running lines to Paddington, with the split to 8 lines / platforms quite close to OOC.

It can’t be CBTC on the reliefs, as they will see occasional use by GWR trains when the Mains are under possession.

Thanks for your reply, I suspected as much though I have just had another thought and that is maybe ETCS L3 could be an option. The COS is supposed to be converted to ETCS at some point according to the original authorisation.

I think I’d just write off that article as irrelevant and well out of date speculation. There’s certainly never been any mention of anything like their suggested 8 track layout in any NR route study, or NR route strategy, and as far as I‘ve seen more recently all the track drawings that have cropped up in relation to Old Oak Common, (eg on the HS2 website), show a four track layout generally, only widening to eight tracks through the platforms.

Thanks for your reply, I was having an issue looking at the track diagrams on the HS2 drawings because the drawing I found had the GWML lines overlayed on top of the HS2 lines and that made it difficult to tell what was what.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top