This is partly 1980s Realpolitic coming back to bite the railways
Back in the (initial) ScotRail days, they were very good at getting "spare" stock pressed into action on Scottish services (like InterCity running in the paths of a ScotRail service from Aberdeen/ Dundee to Edinburgh).
Fine for a while, and allowed services to be maintained. However, nowadays, the route is busier, and (since the local service isn't there at that time) there's additional pressure on the Cross Country service
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
To be Devil's Advocate for a moment, it doesn't help that a lot of the luggage these days is in MASSIVE bags (with solid corners) that don't squash down so easily, so little scope to squeeze them into their surroundings
I'm sure I don't remember that much luggage a decade ago
No you're right. I went to buy a new suitcase a couple of years ago and everything seems far bigger than it used to be. They are also usually very incovenient shapes for stacking!
).