I quite liked that Liverpool to Bristol via the Marches idea tbtc came up with some time ago. It restores several long-lost links and connects two of the largest cities in England via some of Wales (which might encourage at least a small amount of WAG subsidy). It also means that there is an option for travel between the North-West and South-West regions that doesn't depend on either a change at Birmingham New Street or the hideous prices of Crosscountry...
A good idea, but I dont think WG would give any subsidy for any O/A run that starts & commences outside of Wales. Im sure TBTC had franchise in mind.
Bob
I would have thought a Scotland-Devon/Cornwall service via the WCML and the Marches line would generate a reasonable amount of interest, thus restoring the direct link between places like Preston/Lancaster/Carlisle and Bristol/Exeter/Plymouth/Penzance which was lost in 2007.
Similarly, a Scotland-South Coast service via the WCML, avoiding Birmingham NS and running via the Trent Valley to Nuneaton then via Coventry and Leamington could also be a potential revenue earner, again restoring a direct link.