tbtc
Veteran Member
I really don't think you can look at Northern in isolation
Since this thread is to specifically discuss Northern, I was doing so.
The alternative would be to discuss what type of EMUs the north of England needs, which could include a fairly large mix of fast/slow units with/without First Class/ Tables/ "commuter" doors/ significant luggage space.
But then, where do you draw the line? There will be EMUs required for EGIP and for the infills around the West Midlands and the Valley Lines and Great Western Main Line and the Midland Main Line, plus by the time you start designing/ building EMUs we may know some of the CP6 commitments... the 319s certainly won't be enough to go around!
I am, on the whole, in support of the present Serco-Abellio operation. I am not sure that any other operator would be any more effective in controlling unit diagrams given Northern's raggle-taggle array of ageing rolling stock. Improvements in adhering to the rostered diagrams in the future might come about as a product of the electrification programme (With diesel units concentrated over fewer routes) rather than through the management processes of the incumbent operator
Agreed