• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are these and what do they do? (Mod Edit: It's a Datum Plate!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokelet

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2017
Messages
176
I've often wondered what these plates are for. They are dotted all over, do they adjust something? If so what? These are screwed to a platform face.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20180619_080053422.jpg
    IMG_20180619_080053422.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 119
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rich r

Member
Joined
2 Mar 2017
Messages
149
This is a very commonly asked question on here. :)

They're datum plates, which show details of the track as it should be at that position - so that maintenance crews can assess whether the track has settled or otherwise moved from where it should be. Some concise info on http://www.railsigns.uk/info/other1/other1.html for example.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,110
Location
Redcar
This is a perennial favourite on the Forum (see here and here for example) but without knowing the name it's rather hard to search for isn't it?! I remember when I first joined I wondered what they were and no amount of searching would help as I had no idea what terms to really use.

As above they're datum plates which show details of the track position and are used to ensure that the track doesn't move out of position and if it does then engineers have a reference to work off when putting it back.

That being said my preferred 'silly' answer is always that they control the volume of the station PA :lol:
 

Ploughman

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
3,103
Location
Near where the 3 ridings meet
This is a perennial favourite on the Forum (see here and here for example) but without knowing the name it's rather hard to search for isn't it?! I remember when I first joined I wondered what they were and no amount of searching would help as I had no idea what terms to really use.

As above they're datum plates which show details of the track position and are used to ensure that the track doesn't move out of position and if it does then engineers have a reference to work off when putting it back.

That being said my preferred 'silly' answer is always that they control the volume of the station PA :lol:

Nearly right but actually they are the Thermostat sliders for the rail heaters. :D:D
 

kentuckytony

Member
Joined
23 Aug 2010
Messages
283
Location
Edgewood KY USA
I am here in De Newnited States and have seen questions starting with, "What are these..." so often over the years that I know the answer before I finish reading the question.
I do appreciate some of the newer gag answers posted here.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top