• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What are considered high value passes and low value passes on the TFL network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denim78

New Member
Joined
24 Mar 2026
Messages
3
Location
Greater London
Hey,

Ive been watching a load of those fare dodger programmes and they mention high value passes a lot but when I try and do some research, there’s not a clear document online stating what TFL considers a high value pass and low value passes?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,719
Location
Burgess Hill
Typically anything with a discount (or free) travel.

That might include Freedom Passes, Staff and Nominee Passes, 60+ Oysters, Zip Cards, Apprentice/Student Oysters, Priv/PTAC-discounted Oysters etc.

I also keep thinking that I see a yellow light illuminate for my Railcard-discounted Oyster, but I'm never entirely sure!
 
Joined
1 Nov 2010
Messages
15
Location
Here there and everywhere
Mine has at some stations, usually overground served ones I've found
Both you and @MrJeeves are not seeing things. Those yellow lights are for the benefit of revenue protection staff and basically flag up when a particular ticket type is used (programmed in the barrier's control unit). A lot of the time it's forgotten about and left programmed in from the last revenue blockade.
 

Denim78

New Member
Joined
24 Mar 2026
Messages
3
Location
Greater London
Typically anything with a discount (or free) travel.

That might include Freedom Passes, Staff and Nominee Passes, 60+ Oysters, Zip Cards, Apprentice/Student Oysters, Priv/PTAC-discounted Oysters etc.

I also keep thinking that I see a yellow light illuminate for my Railcard-discounted Oyster, but I'm never entirely sure!
Thank you very much for letting me know
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,326
Hey,

Ive been watching a load of those fare dodger programmes and they mention high value passes a lot but when I try and do some research, there’s not a clear document online stating what TFL considers a high value pass and low value passes?
ypically anything with a discount (or free) travel.

That might include Freedom Passes, Staff and Nominee Passes, 60+ Oysters, Zip Cards, Apprentice/Student Oysters, Priv/PTAC-discounted Oysters etc.

I would speculate that it's a convenient way to select travellers to challenge: anything that gives an open-ended discount is at risk of many, many free journeys being made on it, whether legitimate or otherwise. Compare that to (e.g.) a travelcard on an Oyster which realistically is time-limited to how much evasion can take place - and which has been paid for in the first place, which also limits the amount of money that TfL are losing.

But this is nothing more than convenience for TfL. I don't see any reason why TfL might not choose to look at a wider range of tickets being used for fare dodging. TfL are probably as aware as everyone else of the risk of fishing out the pond: at some point they'll find it's easier to tackle fare dodging by pursuing other risks. So no one can afford to assume that fare dodging with something other than a high value pass will go undetected.
 

ChilliSauce

On Moderation
Joined
28 Oct 2025
Messages
328
Hey,

Ive been watching a load of those fare dodger programmes and they mention high value passes a lot but when I try and do some research, there’s not a clear document online stating what TFL considers a high value pass and low value passes?
To try and answer your initial question:

The highest value of 'high value pass' could very well be the Active Staff (light blue) and Retired Staff (dark red) Oyster Cards ..

These are available for use 24/7 and on underground / overground / red buses.
 

Joshua_Harman

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2021
Messages
139
Location
London
To try and answer your initial question:

The highest value of 'high value pass' could very well be the Active Staff (light blue) and Retired Staff (dark red) Oyster Cards ..

These are available for use 24/7 and on underground / overground / red buses.
And Bus drivers, Purple oyster
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top