510 dereg steered by WGL. Not a huge shock.
When is the 510s dereg due to take place? I was down in Devon for most of the weekend and it seems only Solo SRs were in use on that service.
510 dereg steered by WGL. Not a huge shock.
This morning about 1030 a vario was working into Truro. Didn't think should be seeing any varios anymore.
Could it be one certified as a coach ?
Irrelevant on vehicles under 7.5t. The 1.1.15 deadline was all buses and coaches under 7.5t operating scheduled services.
Still not 100% convinced on that. Others are still quoting that minis without stanchions and certified as coaches can operate until Jan 2020.
Still not 100% convinced on that. Others are still quoting that minis without stanchions and certified as coaches can operate until Jan 2020.
They can be used on private hire service until 2020 but not on scheduled services.
Coincidently I've noticed WG have started advertising private hire again. Who'd like a guess what buses you'll get on private hire!
I'm certain they can be used on private hires and un-registered services beyond 2020 too. They can also be used on scheduled services for up to 20 days a year if I remember correctly.
You're partially correct. Private hire work is exempt completely, but the regulations apply to scheduled express work as well as registered services. Basically, anything with a timetable, except rail replacement, which is exempt.
The 20 days a year rule only applies to vehicles more than 20 years old. This is to allow occasional use of heritage vehicles.
As for the continued use of some Varios, I'm very surprised. MH was told a few months ago by VOSA that he couldn't use them from 1st January. But then it's not his problem any more!
I noticed. it was on the 0930 594 from TreliskePerhaps someone at WG thinks nobody's going to notice - they could be in for a rude shock.
I've been advised that two Varios have been certified as DDA compliant by virtue of their chair lifts and this can remain in service ufn. However, I haven't come across anyone in the industry who thinks they should still be running the rest of their Varios.
The quoted sanction if pulled by VOSA is a PG9i and fine for both the operator and the driver.
I've been advised that two Varios have been certified as DDA compliant by virtue of their chair lifts and this can remain in service ufn.
I might be going mad, but I could've sworn I'd heard a few years back that the lifts on those two were no longer in working order?
Irrelevant on vehicles under 7.5t. The 1.1.15 deadline was all buses and coaches under 7.5t operating scheduled services.
The PSVAR act defines a coach as
"coach means a public service vehicle designed and constructed for the carriage of seated passengers only which is of category M2 or M3 (as defined in Annex II(A) to the 1970 Directive) and has a capacity exceeding 22 passengers, in addition to the driver"
This link will take you to the official guidance info, which should help to clarify some of the issues being discussed.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/bus-coach-accessibility-faq
A Vario is an M3 category vehicle:
Category M3: Vehicles designed and constructed for the carriage of passengers, comprising more than eight seats in addition to the driver's seat, and having a maximum mass exceeding 5 tonnes.
Taken from the DfT website.
It doesn't clarify what a coach-spec Vario is classed as. There is nothing in the wording of the act itself defining whether a coach is only considered as such if it weighs over 7.5t, therefore the act seems to consider all coaches, whether a 33-seat Vario or a 53-seat B10M to be one type of vehicle as far as accessibility regulations are concerned. What I'm after is a DfT or DVSA document specifically outlining whether coaches under 7.5t come into scope of the 2015 part of the accessibility regulations, or not. So far, I'm drawing a blank. If a DVSA inspector did PG9 a vehicle and fine the company/driver, it would be interesting to see if it could be overturned on the potentially ambiguous nature of the legislation wording.
The legal definition of a coach is over 7.5 tonnes capable of over 60 mph.
a large motor vehicle carrying passengers by road, serving the public on a fixed route and for a fare:
Has anyone seen any of the Velvet or Pennine buses in service in Cornwall yet? I have spent some time in St Austell & Newquay this week but not seen them.
For the purposes of PSVAR, a bus is defined as
"bus means a public service vehicle designed and constructed for the carriage of both seated and standing passengers which is of category M2 or M3 (as defined in Annex II(A) to the 1970 Directive) and has a capacity exceeding 22 passengers, in addition to the driver"
So if the Vario isn't certified for standing passengers then it is a coach. Simple.