On the PR Side, I think Trent Barton has to be the best of all the independents, closely followed by my more local Reading Buses. Trent Barton & Reading Buses both communicate very well over Facebook and Twitter, ranging from news and ticket offers, vehicle / fleet updates and constant traffic/service updates. Trent Bartons roadshows are also rather good too, and show just how a bus company can interact with their customers.
Fleet wise, got to agree with you on the Tridents - They may have served well as a temporary replacement to replace many of the vehicles lost in the fire, but now are rather unsuitable - certainly not without a good full overhaul and refurbishment. Another example being the rather odd replacement of Optare Solos with ex Go North Eastern Mini Pointer Darts - small loss of capacity, interiors are rather poor with the little tykes plastic seats.
Appropriate vehicles on the appropriate routes would help as well - I saw a single door Optare Slimline Solo pass me in Plymouth a few weeks ago, having worked the 576 from Bude - Launceston - Callington - Saltash - Plymouth. Ouch!
I think it's going to take a heck of lot to turn Greyhound around and back into a profitable reliable business again, I'm not saying it can't be done but there's a lot to improve and bringing in new blood I think could work - replacing Howarth in the process would also help I think!
Fleet wise, got to agree with you on the Tridents - They may have served well as a temporary replacement to replace many of the vehicles lost in the fire, but now are rather unsuitable - certainly not without a good full overhaul and refurbishment. Another example being the rather odd replacement of Optare Solos with ex Go North Eastern Mini Pointer Darts - small loss of capacity, interiors are rather poor with the little tykes plastic seats.
Appropriate vehicles on the appropriate routes would help as well - I saw a single door Optare Slimline Solo pass me in Plymouth a few weeks ago, having worked the 576 from Bude - Launceston - Callington - Saltash - Plymouth. Ouch!
I think it's going to take a heck of lot to turn Greyhound around and back into a profitable reliable business again, I'm not saying it can't be done but there's a lot to improve and bringing in new blood I think could work - replacing Howarth in the process would also help I think!
Last edited:
