• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Yorkshire bus franchising

Whisky Papa

Member
Joined
8 Aug 2019
Messages
744
Wasn't that was long after Rider when the national numbers came in circa 2003/4? First being First not only did it piecemeal but most internal systems weren't setup to take them, so fuel and in some places radios had to keep "local I.Ds" for a couple of years. I always thought it was just a kneejerk come vanity project because Stagecoach had done it but it was done just totally the wrong way!

I quit First Calderline in the spring of 2003 and there had been no mention of renumbering from the Metro-derived numbering system at that point. I guess it must have been a little while later I recall seeing the existing fleet with new five digit numbers, before the local routes went low-floor with a new fleet.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Leyland Bus

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2021
Messages
1,226
Location
York
I quit First Calderline in the spring of 2003 and there had been no mention of renumbering from the Metro-derived numbering system at that point. I guess it must have been a little while later I recall seeing the existing fleet with new five digit numbers, before the local routes went low-floor with a new fleet.
It was done fleet by fleet, so quite slowly. I started with First Manchester in Jan '05 and they had 5 digits by then, you must have left just before. Infact, it led to some oddities. First PMT was IIRC the first fleet done. They had some ex GM Olympians which were renumbered. They were then sent back to Manchester, who gave them their original 4 digit numbers back and then had to give them their "original" 5 digit numbers back thus making them out of sequence with their siblings!! Totally mad!

I remember First Huddersfield Atlanteans getting 5 digit numbers but forget when they finally came off as 30999 ANA 557Y & 30998 A737 NNA went on loan to Leeds after they were withdrawn by Huddersfield...
 
Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Feb 2013
Messages
23,005
Location
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
It was done fleet by fleet, so quitr slowly. I started with First Manchester in Jan '05 and they had 5 digits by then. Infact, it led to some oddities. First PMT was IIRC the first fleet done. They had some ex GM Olympians which were renumbered. They were then sent back to Manchester, who gave them their original numbers back and then had to give them their "original" 5 digit numbers back thus making them out of sequence with their siblings!! Totally mad!

I remember First Huddersfield Atlanteans getting 5 digit numbers but forget when they finally came off...
It was about 2002 to 2003 and yes, you're right that PMT and Manchester were the ones treated first. One oddity is that Solos were numbered in the midi series 4**** initially. However, as the role out continued, later adoptees such as West Yorkshire numbered them in the 5**** mini series.
 

Top