• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Midlands Railway "Code of Conduct"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
9 Sep 2022
Messages
69
Location
MAN
As regards poor English, let’s hope you aren’t referring to the many conductors that originate from overseas.
People required to make public announcements in English should have an appropriate command of English.

Whence they hail enters into it not.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

the sniper

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2007
Messages
3,498
People required to make public announcements in English should have an appropriate command of English.

Whence they hail enters into it not.

That sentence is probable less readily comprehensible to many then the aforementioned announcements...
 
Joined
9 Sep 2022
Messages
69
Location
MAN
That sentence is probable less readily comprehensible to many then the aforementioned announcements...

Indeed.

Shouldn’t be difficult to understand but here we are.

If we are to agree that even native speakers may struggle with something only so modestly beyond bog-standard English, then why are we blaming the guard?
 
Last edited:

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,538
Location
LBK
The Robin Hood Line had a (passenger) 'code of conduct' or similar years ago. Not a new thing in Britain.
That’s what you get for naming a line after a criminal :lol:
 

Bensonby

Member
Joined
1 Apr 2018
Messages
256
It'll have minimal impact, I'd have thought. Those who put feet on seats, vape on the train, hide ticketless in the toilets etc aren't suddenly going to be model members of society because of an announcement.
Interesting you mention vaping, it’s something I’ve often wondered about, because as far as I can tell it isn’t mentioned in the Byelaws or NRCOT, but I am aware of announcements saying “smoking, including the use of E-cigarettes, is not allowed”. But I’m not aware of anywhere where that is actually written: indeed, smoking is only prohibited outdoors when a notice specifically prohibits it.
 

Stigy

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2009
Messages
4,969
Interesting you mention vaping, it’s something I’ve often wondered about, because as far as I can tell it isn’t mentioned in the Byelaws or NRCOT, but I am aware of announcements saying “smoking, including the use of E-cigarettes, is not allowed”. But I’m not aware of anywhere where that is actually written: indeed, smoking is only prohibited outdoors when a notice specifically prohibits it.
Vaping isn’t illegal in the same way smoking is, but operators chose to prohibit it. If someone is vaping all the staff can do is ask them to stop, and if they refuse, then have them removed from the station. Refusal to adhere to these instructions may breach Byelaws however.
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,632
Location
Crewe
Have they published this code of conduct online?
Yes.


It's also in A1 size poster form at both WMR and LNWR stations
 

Meerkat

Established Member
Joined
14 Jul 2018
Messages
9,276
Yes.


It's also in A1 size poster form at both WMR and LNWR stations
Oh gosh, how embarrassing is that?! Did they get a nursery school teacher to write it?
 

Dave91131

Member
Joined
13 Jun 2018
Messages
671
Oh gosh, how embarrassing is that?! Did they get a nursery school teacher to write it?

Never mind the nursery teachers, I was thinking more along the lines of the nursery toddlers!

Probably for a different thread but I find myself seeing more and more examples of poor written and spoken English amongst adults nowadays. I'm not perfect but for example trying to ensure spellings are correct and saying / writing "would have" instead of "would of" are 2 things which spring to mind.
 

Stigy

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2009
Messages
4,969
Never mind the nursery teachers, I was thinking more along the lines of the nursery toddlers!

Probably for a different thread but I find myself seeing more and more examples of poor written and spoken English amongst adults nowadays. I'm not perfect but for example trying to ensure spellings are correct and saying / writing "would have" instead of "would have" are 2 things which spring to mind.
Posing a question without using a question mark also…”Did you know….”.
 

Meerkat

Established Member
Joined
14 Jul 2018
Messages
9,276
Never mind the nursery teachers, I was thinking more along the lines of the nursery toddlers!

Probably for a different thread but I find myself seeing more and more examples of poor written and spoken English amongst adults nowadays. I'm not perfect but for example trying to ensure spellings are correct and saying / writing "would have" instead of "would of" are 2 things which spring to mind.
What it reminds me of…..you know when the spoilt kid is kicking back of your seat and the parent asks them to stop doing it in patronising baby talk rather than just saying “stop that!”
 

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2017
Messages
2,632
Location
Crewe
Oh gosh, how embarrassing is that?! Did they get a nursery school teacher to write it?
They're clearly trying to be very casual in tone, whether that works is up to people's opinions.

WMT have used this way of communicating with passengers since they took over from LM through the 'no bog snorkelling', etc type posters.

Doesn't fit with the announcements which are far more bullet point and to the point type of thing.
 
Joined
21 May 2014
Messages
979
They're clearly trying to be very casual in tone, whether that works is up to people's opinions.

WMT have used this way of communicating with passengers since they took over from LM through the 'no bog snorkelling', etc type posters.

Doesn't fit with the announcements which are far more bullet point and to the point type of thing.

Quite apart from the conversational / casual tone, which I have no problem with per se (but also don't think is done particularly well here), it's absolutely littered with punctuation errors and poor grammar. Very poor for an official communication.

Looks like it was written by a "Journalist" from [insert your local Reach Media "news" website here].
 

InkyScrolls

On Moderation
Joined
20 Jul 2022
Messages
1,460
Location
North of England
As regards communication skills they have to reach a required standard but they don’t speak to the signaller that’s the drivers responsibility.
Not true. I'm a conductor (specifically for Northern) and I've had to speak to the signalman on numerous occasions, at least two of them involving a life-or-death situation (for trespassers). To suggest that a mediocre command of the English language is acceptable for a safety critical role is laughable.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Never mind the nursery teachers, I was thinking more along the lines of the nursery toddlers!

Probably for a different thread but I find myself seeing more and more examples of poor written and spoken English amongst adults nowadays. I'm not perfect but for example trying to ensure spellings are correct and saying / writing "would have" instead of "would of" are 2 things which spring to mind.
A perfect example is the 331s and 195s - in the door control panel is a PA phone, labelled 'public adress'!
 

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,411
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
Never mind the nursery teachers, I was thinking more along the lines of the nursery toddlers!

Probably for a different thread but I find myself seeing more and more examples of poor written and spoken English amongst adults nowadays.

I’ve been wondering for some time what schools spend the time doing nowadays.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top