• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

West Country Independents

matt_splat

Member
Joined
19 May 2012
Messages
899
I thought they'd had maintenance at Burnett anyway? They had a bay in the place at LBR.

I confess that I don't see too much of the Uni services to accurately gauge how Wessex are doing against First. However, from the few anecdotal views I've had, I'd say that First are winning that battle.


Wessex do have full busses from time to time.

They have only just got the new depot area at burnett i believe it took about two years to be finished and the builders left the job a few times. the new yard is down the bottom of burnett next to Bath Bus Company.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

THarris123

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2014
Messages
2,857
Location
Wells, Somerset
I thought they'd had maintenance at Burnett anyway? They had a bay in the place at LBR.

I confess that I don't see too much of the Uni services to accurately gauge how Wessex are doing against First. However, from the few anecdotal views I've had, I'd say that First are winning that battle.

Of what I've seen too, First seem to be winning. Bendy buses full every morning in term time compared to about 5 people standing on B7s from Wessex doesn't exactly show Wessex doing well.
 

matt_splat

Member
Joined
19 May 2012
Messages
899
I notice this evening that the park and rides in bristol might change operaters in september?

a document online suggests

3 tenders were receved for brislington
2 tenders for the portway

also on the subject of tender routes.

It would seem that the 2s in Bath could go and be replaced by the 31 serving all stops from Lansdown to Milsom Street.

the 4s Bathampton end could be at risk

the 42 could lose its dial a ride style section where it goes off route if it results in a better bid from another operator at a lower cost.
 

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Feb 2013
Messages
22,991
Location
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I notice this evening that the park and rides in bristol might change operaters in september?

a document online suggests

3 tenders were receved for brislington
2 tenders for the portway

also on the subject of tender routes.

It would seem that the 2s in Bath could go and be replaced by the 31 serving all stops from Lansdown to Milsom Street.

the 4s Bathampton end could be at risk

the 42 could lose its dial a ride style section where it goes off route if it results in a better bid from another operator at a lower cost.

To be honest, the 2 would make a lot of sense. The 4 seems to give just a small service for a limited number of pensioners whereas most are served as well by the 265.

As regards Bristol P&R, surprised there's only two tenderers for the Portway. Thought you'd have First, Wessex and CT Plus
 

freetoview33

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2009
Messages
3,815
Location
West of England
To be honest, the 2 would make a lot of sense. The 4 seems to give just a small service for a limited number of pensioners whereas most are served as well by the 265.

As regards Bristol P&R, surprised there's only two tenderers for the Portway. Thought you'd have First, Wessex and CT Plus

Question is which one hasn't put a bid in? Maybe Wessex (Due to lack of drivers) or maybe First (due to lack of money, they got Long Ashton back so maybe they are focusing on Brislington next as I guess that is more lucrative than Portway)
 

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Feb 2013
Messages
22,991
Location
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Question is which one hasn't put a bid in? Maybe Wessex (Due to lack of drivers) or maybe First (due to lack of money, they got Long Ashton back so maybe they are focusing on Brislington next as I guess that is more lucrative than Portway)

That is indeed the question. However, the "why" is more perplexing as the business is steady work and whatever applies for one route is equally applicable for another!
 

vicbury

Member
Joined
17 Mar 2012
Messages
1,052
Location
Lydney
I notice this evening that the park and rides in bristol might change operaters in september?

a document online suggests

3 tenders were receved for brislington
2 tenders for the portway

also on the subject of tender routes.

It would seem that the 2s in Bath could go and be replaced by the 31 serving all stops from Lansdown to Milsom Street.

the 4s Bathampton end could be at risk

the 42 could lose its dial a ride style section where it goes off route if it results in a better bid from another operator at a lower cost.

Regarding the 2 in Bath it has been the plan for a long time to replace it with the 31 calling at all stops. Only issue might be late night journeys? I'm not sure when the 2 cuts off.
 

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Feb 2013
Messages
22,991
Location
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Regarding the 2 in Bath it has been the plan for a long time to replace it with the 31 calling at all stops. Only issue might be late night journeys? I'm not sure when the 2 cuts off.

No late journeys on the 2. Last one from Bath at 17:11 so using the 31 massively improves it for people as long as they are able to walk to the main road
 

winston270twm

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2012
Messages
1,899
the way things look it makes you wonder if wessex are in financial trouble at the moment.

How exactly would Wessex be in financial trouble? They are part of Rotala Group Plc, the Wessex business accounts for approx 20% of the group fleet
 

DaveHarries

Established Member
Joined
12 Dec 2011
Messages
2,576
Location
England
I notice this evening that the park and rides in bristol might change operaters in september?

a document online suggests

3 tenders were receved for brislington
2 tenders for the portway

also on the subject of tender routes.

It would seem that the 2s in Bath could go and be replaced by the 31 serving all stops from Lansdown to Milsom Street.

the 4s Bathampton end could be at risk

the 42 could lose its dial a ride style section where it goes off route if it results in a better bid from another operator at a lower cost.

Wouldn't mind a read of that document: what is the link please?

Dave
 

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Feb 2013
Messages
22,991
Location
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Thanks. I wonder who the bidders are. First & CT Plus would, I imagine, account for 2 of the bidders but I wonder who the 3rd one is for the Bath Road P&R.

Dave

That's the question, Dave but why would Wessex not put in a tender for both.

Perhaps it might be Wessex and CT Plus tendering? First may be struggling with drivers and/or depot space with Metrobus coming?

Who knows?? I did read the document and couldn't see a decision/award date (or did I just miss it?). Appendix A was interesting - always crucial to ensure a P&R is consistent with sexual orientation requirements........
 

matt_splat

Member
Joined
19 May 2012
Messages
899
i wonder if the Brislington Park and Ride may of been of interest to a more local company?

e.
 

winston270twm

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2012
Messages
1,899
That's the question, Dave but why would Wessex not put in a tender for both.

Perhaps it might be Wessex and CT Plus tendering? First may be struggling with drivers and/or depot space with Metrobus coming?

Who knows?? I did read the document and couldn't see a decision/award date (or did I just miss it?). Appendix A was interesting - always crucial to ensure a P&R is consistent with sexual orientation requirements........

It sounds as though First & Wessex are struggling for sufficient drivers

Is CT Plus's only work in Bristol the current Bendi-bus operated Park & Ride routes?
 

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Feb 2013
Messages
22,991
Location
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
It sounds as though First & Wessex are struggling for sufficient drivers

Is CT Plus's only work in Bristol the current Bendi-bus operated Park & Ride routes?

CT Plus also do a lot of staff transport for Southmead NHS Trust

You begin to wonder if more outbasing of vehicles might be required to expand the driver pool?
 

freetoview33

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2009
Messages
3,815
Location
West of England
I have seen CTPlus drivers on First services suggesting they were short. The more I think about it. I think First is most likely not to have bid for Portway. But then again Wessex have never actually won the park and rides. NCP won it and sub contracted out to Wessex. So who knows one of the bidders could be someone totally random.
 

1905 Group

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2015
Messages
126
Location
Bristol
Noted in Eastville's yard today, a new purchase from First Hampshire and Dorset, Palatine 2 Olympian P244 UCW. Currently still in First livery but soon to be sprayed yellow, so if you want a final photo of it in First livery then you'd better hurry! Also there were usuals, Olympian Palatine 1s R621/2 MNU, Olympian Palatine 2 971 CYB (S670 AAE), B10M Palatine F310 MYJ, B12M VanHool WA56 ENL, B12BT VanHool SN09 AZP, the two B12BT Berkhofs and the Leyland Panther Cub hidden in the shed.
 

winston270twm

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2012
Messages
1,899
I have seen CTPlus drivers on First services suggesting they were short. The more I think about it. I think First is most likely not to have bid for Portway. But then again Wessex have never actually won the park and rides. NCP won it and sub contracted out to Wessex. So who knows one of the bidders could be someone totally random.

I would have thought that Wessex would be fairly keen to gain the Park & Ride contracts, it may help to fill some of the void from lost tendered work & UWE service reductions generally due to competition from First. I guess it may depend on vehicle type's being specified etc this time around.
 

1905 Group

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2015
Messages
126
Location
Bristol
It seems CT Plus have lost the two P&R contracts to First Bristol, to be operated from Hengrove depot with E400MMCs. 903 is staying with First until Metrobus happens...
 

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Feb 2013
Messages
22,991
Location
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I would have thought that Wessex would be fairly keen to gain the Park & Ride contracts, it may help to fill some of the void from lost tendered work & UWE service reductions generally due to competition from First. I guess it may depend on vehicle type's being specified etc this time around.

It's interesting to know if they tendered. Assuming the incumbent (CT Plus) tendered for both, and obviously First did, then Wessex can't have tendered for the Portway P&R (which is actually pretty close to their depot). Curious :?
 

winston270twm

Established Member
Joined
26 Oct 2012
Messages
1,899
It's interesting to know if they tendered. Assuming the incumbent (CT Plus) tendered for both, and obviously First did, then Wessex can't have tendered for the Portway P&R (which is actually pretty close to their depot). Curious :?

Unless it was CT Plus that hadn't tendered for both? I personally would have liked to have seen Wessex gain them to give their Bristol op's in boost in the face of increased pressure from First. But wasn't to be.
 

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Feb 2013
Messages
22,991
Location
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Unless it was CT Plus that hadn't tendered for both? I personally would have liked to have seen Wessex gain them to give their Bristol op's in boost in the face of increased pressure from First. But wasn't to be.

I did say that I'd assumed that CT Plus would've tendered for both as incumbent.

If Wessex didn't tender for both, that would be a major surprise.
 

freetoview33

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2009
Messages
3,815
Location
West of England
I aware the Jersey buses are owned by the jersey government and just operated by ct with dda looming for deckers I can't imagine leases are going cheap.
 

matt_splat

Member
Joined
19 May 2012
Messages
899
if you talk to wessex staff or listen to some wessex staff they do seem worried about things at wessex towers.....

i'd be interested to see the position in Bath with the 12s and 20s in the future.

Talking to a first driver today and wessex might not be in good books with the uni of bath at the moment if you go up to the uni and take a look at a new ditch that has been created by a wessex bus you will see why.

I was told that ABus had put a tender in for the 904, now for the 902 and 904 of course we know First was one of the bidders but i wonder if wessex was the second i think it's more likely to be CT Plus or maybe it could have even been RATP i'm sure they would like to pick up a little more work in the area.
 

Top