D365
Veteran Member
- Joined
- 29 Jun 2012
- Messages
- 13,192
Please get East Coast to stop at Huntingdon - FCC keep adding extra stops and generally mucking about with our trains! :l
ATO will cause all the delays.
Delays in the core will see trains entering the ECML late and with nowhere to slot in without causing (big) delays. And if they aren't cleared to enter the ECML, what happens as St Pancras - do the trains sit there and block the whole line?
I am not looking forward to seeing how it all fits together, as there just won't be any recovery time in the peaks unless longer Thameslink trains will see a fall in the current FCC services we have now to create gaps.
Yep and cause delays to the Hertfords instead :roll:
It's bad enough the line is only two tracked and has low speeds in certain areas but when the route via Welwyn is affected by disruption then the Hertford service is non existent.
So no thanks, you can keep these trains and the delays on the route via Welwyn!
Please get East Coast to stop at Huntingdon - FCC keep adding extra stops and generally mucking about with our trains! :l
Please get East Coast to stop at Huntingdon - FCC keep adding extra stops and generally mucking about with our trains! :l
If the core is blocked, then Southbound trains will tip out at Finsbury Park or head into KX. It's going to mean some interesting crewing arrangements.
Personally (and I know this will be unpopular) I'd rather that East Coast basically stopped calling at Stevenage apart from the York/Newark terminators and maybe one service each way to Edinburgh.
Forgive me but I'd rather not have my journey to London delayed by stopping at a station that close to London
Personally (and I know this will be unpopular) I'd rather that East Coast basically stopped calling at Stevenage apart from the York/Newark terminators and maybe one service each way to Edinburgh.
EC should be first stop Peterborough minimum, pickup-only for northbound and set-down only for south bound, with better GN service (including Cambridge-style non-stops) aided by improving the line to be four-track all the way....
To enable 4 fast services (K+,FP,ST>CB/PB & TL,FP,ST,CB/PB) to rush around the loop I have proposed in other threads that the current service is increased to 4tph (3tph current)
Forgive me but I'd rather not have my journey to London delayed by stopping at a station that close to London
Personally (and I know this will be unpopular) I'd rather that East Coast basically stopped calling at Stevenage apart from the York/Newark terminators and maybe one service each way to Edinburgh.
Agreed - maybe even make Peterborough set down/ pick up on some services - I've been on a lot of Yorkshire bound services from the Cross that have almost emptied at Peterborough (which has its own London service).
The TL services will take the paths of some current FCC services to Cambridge, Peterboro and Welwyn (semi fasts).
So the four FCC services an hour from London to Cambridge or Peterborough that stop at Finsbury Park/ Stevenage etc go via the "loop"? What's going to stop at Knebworth etc?
The existing KX,FB,PB,HT,WG,WN,KN,ST... services would continue as now. So no change in the current 2tph service.
I am talking about the 2 non-stop Cambridge services and 2 semi-fast KX,FB,ST... services. This pattern will change with the advent of TL services.
I am proposing that services with no stops in the Alexandra Palace, Langley Junction section, go around the loop. And two of these would stop additionally at Hertford North. To enable a clear path, the slows would increase to 4 tph and stop in the (new) loops at Gordon Hill. I would also consider making 2 of these 4 slows, semi-fast-slows (if such a thing exists). I would extend 2 of these faster stoppers beyond HN to at least Cambridge. And why not Peterborough?
At present, HN has 3 slows per hour. In my plan they would have 2 slows, 2 semi-slow (albeit with an extended stop at GH), and 2 fast services(FB, KX only). Further, they would have 2 stoppers per hour to Letchworth and 2 semi-fasts to Cambridge and/or Peterborough. This is a 'massive' increase in services.
Oh, and the consequence of all this is that the viaduct now has 4 free paths per hour for the big boys to run their super fasts over.
The existing KX,FB,PB,HT,WG,WN,KN,ST... services would continue as now. So no change in the current 2tph service.
I am talking about the 2 non-stop Cambridge services and 2 semi-fast KX,FB,ST... services. This pattern will change with the advent of TL services.
I am proposing that services with no stops in the Alexandra Palace to Langley Junction section, go around the loop. And two of these would stop additionally at Hertford North. To enable a clear path, the slows would increase to 4 tph and stop in the (new) loops at Gordon Hill. I would also consider making 2 of these 4 slows, semi-fast-slows (if such a thing exists). I would extend 2 of these faster stoppers beyond HN to at least Cambridge. And why not Peterborough?
At present, HN has 3 slows per hour. In my plan they would have 2 slows, 2 semi-slow (albeit with an extended stop at GH), and 2 fast services(FB, KX only). Further, they would have 2 stoppers per hour to Letchworth and 2 semi-fasts to Cambridge and/or Peterborough. This is a 'massive' increase in services.
Oh, and the consequence of all this is that the viaduct now has 4 free paths per hour for the big boys to run their super fasts over.
The existing KX,FB,PB,HT,WG,WN,KN,ST... services would continue as now. So no change in the current 2tph service.
I am talking about the 2 non-stop Cambridge services and 2 semi-fast KX,FB,ST... services. This pattern will change with the advent of TL services.
I am proposing that services with no stops in the Alexandra Palace, Langley Junction section, go around the loop. And two of these would stop additionally at Hertford North. To enable a clear path, the slows would increase to 4 tph and stop in the (new) loops at Gordon Hill. I would also consider making 2 of these 4 slows, semi-fast-slows (if such a thing exists). I would extend 2 of these faster stoppers beyond HN to at least Cambridge. And why not Peterborough?
At present, HN has 3 slows per hour. In my plan they would have 2 slows, 2 semi-slow (albeit with an extended stop at GH), and 2 fast services(FB, KX only). Further, they would have 2 stoppers per hour to Letchworth and 2 semi-fasts to Cambridge and/or Peterborough. This is a 'massive' increase in services.
Oh, and the consequence of all this is that the viaduct now has 4 free paths per hour for the big boys to run their super fasts over.
In the week, with the 2tph to Moorgate and 2tph to King's Cross, it's not actually too bad. Hatfield doesn't need more trains during the day, but in the evening peak (where a fair few people are heading back to London - mostly students or workers at Hatfield Business Park) I think there could be some more trains. But, actually I think there already are a few more
One problem, howerver, is that you'd need to increase the WGC stoppers to four an hour too - to fit evenly through the Moorgate route with the four an hour on the Hertford loop. Can Moorgate cope with eight trains an hour? (genuine question, I don't know)
Not sure about extending the Hertford stoppers to Cambridge/ Peterborough - who'd use these north of Stevenage?
Hertford residents may have the choice of Hertford East and North which is fine for London BUT its going northbound to Stevenage for ECML connections that matters.
I don't think it's overkill to expect a stop on any service going to Peterborough or Cambridge, in fact the 01:06 Kings Cross to Letchworth is given a hour to complete its journey yet could easily do it in 50 mins or less.
I say this because I've lost count of the times it's had to wait time at various stations as it gets to them too early.
I've lived in both Welwyn and Stevenage (still do) and there is lots of local thoughts on this subject.
In my opinion I would do the following;
1 - make all platforms at Gordon Hill through platforms
2 - change the service frequency on the loop to every 1/4 hour
3 - put the non-stop Cambridge services and semi fast Cambridge/Peterborough services on the loop; over taking the slows at Gordon Hill (this adds about 5 mins to journey times but gives 4 new paths across the viaduct)
4 - force the open access operators to join their trains together. I'd have two services run as a pair to Doncaster (or where ever) where they would split. This frees another path and/or allows more services to use a single path.
The upgrade to the loop, most of which is already happening with improved power supply and line speed improvements, coupled with the new loops at Gordon Hill, would be significantly cheaper than a new route/viaduct/tunnels.
Here's hoping.
That's certainly true. Hopefully the regulations would recognise that this is first and foremost a piece of the national infrastructure, but you never can tell.
If money was available, and partly in response to others too, rather than putting 8 trains in to Moorgate, how about putting 4 on to the NLL and becoming part of the LOROL services. I know the tunnel at Cannonbury is single bore and the junction with the NLL is flat but it would open up a huge range of destinations and a furter cross-London route.
There's no logic to sending any Moorgate terminators round the Canonbury curve onto the NLL, even if suitable paths existed. Diverting any FCC trains away from the ex-Northern City Line terminus would inconvenience the majority of travellers using the line.
The existing Thameslink service suffers a major constraint between Blackfriars and London Bridge because of a short section of single track which then requires trains to cross a busy junction, on the flat. Huge amounts of money have been and are still being spent on infrastructure projects to overcome those problems. Why would any transport planner want to risk jeopardising the reliability of the NLL services by creating a virtual replica of that situation, this time at Canonbury? Anyone on a FCC train wanting to reach Canonbury and stations east of thereof can easily change at Highbury & Islington anyway, so your plan is a non-starter ! :roll: