Let's say someone or something has fallen onto the tracks and the train is coming. What are some ways for passengers to get the train to stop immediately?
Those are being removed.Would it be acceptable to climb the fence and use a signal phone?
Would it be acceptable to climb the fence and use a signal phone?
True, it was the only trespass scenario that came to mind.....but the OP is referring to passengersThose are being removed.
The signal post phones... not the fences.
True, it was the only trespass scenario that came to mind.....but the OP is referring to passengers
I experienced this too, also they wanted to know the postcode of the location, which I didn't have as I was out and about; the bridge number I had wasn't any use.Contact us - Network Rail
For safety issues call our 24 hour helpline: 03457 11 41 41 To report a crime call the BTP: 0800 40 50 40, 999 or text: 61016www.networkrail.co.uk
I've only called them once and there was quite a long spiel before you could actually get connected to someone - I think the National Highways contact number is much better as you are almost immediately asked to press one for a stranded vehicle and two for debris.
They're direct lines to the Controlling Signal Box.Lots of stations have those non descript "emergency phone" that looks like signal post phones, where do they go?
Acceptable maybe, but generally not advisable.Would it be acceptable to climb the fence and use a signal phone?
There aren’t many scenarios where a member of the public should be walking on or near the line, even in an emergency.If the train is coming imminently you may not be able to stop it in time, so lay down in the 6 foot, tuck everything in, and for heaven's sake never in the 4 foot.
No room for nuance?Call 999 should be the only answer if you are not a trained railway employee...
Correct on both fronts. I'm more thinking along the lines of "someone" not really being able to move much eg. badly injured due to a fall, especially in a multi-track layout area, as otherwise surely they just get as far away as possible from the running lines. Really these are all edge cases which should hopefully occur very rarely.There aren’t many scenarios where a member of the public should be walking on or near the line, even in an emergency.
The cess would also be a preferable location over the six foot if ‘caught out.’
They should, especially since the collision between a HST and a fallen bridge parapet at Froxfield, near Hungerford, in 2015. That turned into a game of pass the parcel.Would calling 999 help? I don't know if the call taker would have details for Network Rail.
Ah, that's not particularly encouraging...They should, especially since the collision between a HST and a fallen bridge parapet at Froxfield, near Hungerford, in 2007. That turned into a game of pass the parcel.
17:20 - lorry strikes the bridge and causes damage.
17:22-17:23 - member of public phones 999 and gets put through to Thames Valley Police.
17:23-17:26 - Thames Valley Police phone BTP (London).
17:26 - BTP mistakenly contact Wessex Route Control.
17:28 - BTP contact Western Route Control on a non-emergency number. Thames Valley Police contact Wiltshire Police.
17:30 - Train strikes debris. BTP London transfers control to BTP Birmingham.
17:32 - Train driver contacts signaller via radio. Wiltshire Police contact Western Route Control. Member of public makes another 999 call to Thames Valley Police that a train has struck the debris.
17:38 - Thames Valley Police contacted Western Route Control to tell them a train had stuck the debris, but by this point they already knew.
RAIB report here for the interested.
Mr Davey told the Independent how he acted after a woman fell between a train and a platform at Clapham Junction station in December 1994:
“She hadn’t gone on to the live line, but she wasn’t moving,” he told the Independent. “Everyone went ‘ooh… ahhh… gosh’, but didn’t seem to be doing anything,” he said.
The then 28-year-old Davey jumped onto the line to rescue the woman, who he said had been pushed out of the train onto the platform by a man before she fell.
“I was wondering whether to move her or not, and I looked up. It was late at night and there were these two big lights coming my way. I decided that I had to go across the live rails to the other side.” As the next train approached, Davey’s decision saved both the woman’s and his own life. His actions earned him a Royal Humane Society bravery award in 1995 and a commendation by the police.
Would calling 999 help? I don't know if the call taker would have details for Network Rail.
They should, especially since the collision between a HST and a fallen bridge parapet at Froxfield, near Hungerford, in 2007. That turned into a game of pass the parcel.
The report discusses them, apparently installing signage was already underway by this point on the Western, although they weren't yet fitted to this bridge.Perhaps this was the catalyst for the plates now fitted to bridges with the number to call if a strike is witnessed; This also activates a siren in Control.
The railway is a category II responder under the Civil Contingencies Act and suffice it to say that there are well-established procedures in place regarding Control's interaction with the police.Would calling 999 help? I don't know if the call taker would have details for Network Rail.
No, BTP is not contactable via the 999 system. Evening if asking specifically for British Transport Police you will be routed to the appropriate Home Office force for your telephone.If anyone is ringing 999, could they not ask for BTP rather than just the police? I’m sure the operator could put the call direct through to them in the same way they can the coastguard for example.
The railway is a category II responder under the Civil Contingencies Act and suffice it to say that there are well-established procedures in place regarding Control's interaction with the police.
I’d presume Ms Agutter’s approach would be the one most members of the public would know to do.I was taught that "any light waved vigerously" can be a danger signal - (my personal Bardic - retained after retirement has a red shade of course) , - anthing to attract attention IMHO , but Jenny Agutter in "The Railway Children" had innovative