• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Watford Junction on Travelcard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pitdiver

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2012
Messages
1,290
Location
Warsop Vale
I used to enjoy travelling 1st Class between Euston & Milton Keynes with my std class Priv season at a very enviable price as travel was free for LUL staff between EUS & WFJ.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,328
Location
Glasgow
Oh great, so you think I’m snobbish too. Great. :(

Not at all what I meant. I meant that you know what you like and others on this forum do too. My above emoji was intended to signify my appreciation of the humour in robbeech's comment.

It's generally well known that you like travelling in First Class and there's nothing remotely wrong with that whatsoever ;)

Besides which, I like travelling in First Class too! 8-) Whenever an Express Turbo (First Class fitted ScotRail 170/4) would turn up on a Standard only service I always made a beeline for a First Class seat. Additionally, I loved travelling Business Premier on Eurostar from London to Paris, definitely one of my favourite railway travel experiences ever.
 
Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,891
Location
Cambridge
Not at all what I meant. I meant that you know what you like and others on this forum do too. My above emoji was intended to signify my appreciation of the humour in robbeech's comment.

It's generally well known that you like travelling in First Class and there's nothing remotely wrong with that whatsoever ;)
I’m glad you think that :) Thank you. Many forum members mistake my like of first class for snobbery which is unpleasant.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,772
Location
Yorkshire
Oh great, so you think I’m snobbish too. Great. :(

Who said snobbish?

And me too. Stupid idea. Why won’t they realise that some people like to pay a little extra for more comfort! I despair.

I speak as someone who does about 70% of long distance trips First Class (but is currently waiting for an overnight coach at 1/6 the price of tomorrow's train which arrives a bit too late for me).
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
Exactly! How hard is it to understand? Watford is not in London and therefore it is not in a zone, just like Amersham... hmm, maybe not... Elstree and Borehamwood... oh wait, just like Epping... oh wait, just like Shenfield, wait... Dartford? Potters Bar! There's one!

Back to the drawing board ;)
It was going so well until you said Shenfield. That's just like Watford Junction.
 

Samuel88

On Moderation
Joined
20 Jan 2017
Messages
385
What's to stop someone just boarding a London bound Virgin train at Watford Junction? Are there guards at the entrance to the platform? I'm sure if you kick up enough fuss they'll just shrug their shoulders and say on you go!
 
Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
What's to stop someone just boarding a London bound Virgin train at Watford Junction? Are there guards at the entrance to the platform? I'm sure if you keep up enough fuss they'll just shrug their shoulders and say on you go!

I've boarded a VTWC at Watford Junction heading towards Euston with no issues. However:

- the trains aren't shown on the departure boards. The platform screen said that the train was not in passenger service.
- the guard could charge you an Anytime Single from the last station the train called. This could be as far north as Warrington or Preston!

At Stevenage I've been prevented from boarding a train that was set down only by the guard. Local door was in operation to prevent passengers boarding.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,765
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I've boarded a VTWC at Watford Junction heading towards Euston with no issues. However:

- the trains aren't shown on the departure boards. The platform screen said that the train was not in passenger service.
- the guard could charge you an Anytime Single from the last station the train called. This could be as far north as Warrington or Preston

Coventry at worst now I think.
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,391
What's to stop someone just boarding a London bound Virgin train at Watford Junction? Are there guards at the entrance to the platform? I'm sure if you kick up enough fuss they'll just shrug their shoulders and say on you go!

No, just normal platform staff and a train manager. Access to the platform 7 / 8 island is very much allowed.

The point is that very few people try to board Virgin Trains southbound at Watford Junction so if you wait for the train you will be seen by the dispatcher and by the train manager.

There is a 10 minute gap between the London Midland train that stops on platform 7 and the Virgin Train that sets down during off peak times.

They are unlikely to 'shrug their shoulders'.
 

jfisher21

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
218
I have also seen crowds board at WFJ for EUS at times of disruption. TM was obviously aware and even did the usual welcome message.
 

159

Member
Joined
27 Jul 2017
Messages
87
Location
Somewhere in between Thurso and Penzance
Now you may think this is silly - but bear in mind Travelcards are excepted on Norwich-bound Greater Anglia services between London and Stratford, and the call at Stratford is advertised as pick up only just the same as Watford!

So if I have a Zone 1-6 Travelcard, bearing in mind Watford Junction is in that zone, can I take a Pendolino there from Euston with it?

Thanks :)

I've cheekily taken a pendolino from WFJ to Euston (even when it said it wasn't for public use) but the other way round is impossible as the ticket inspectors won't let you.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,849
Location
West of Andover
I've cheekily taken a pendolino from WFJ to Euston (even when it said it wasn't for public use) but the other way round is impossible as the ticket inspectors won't let you.

Although it will be interesting if the Virgin service departs from platforms 1-4 which are protected by a gateline, if said gateline would allow a London - Watford ticket to be used
 

GW43125

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2014
Messages
2,313
Coventry at worst now I think.

Ex Glasgow services are fast from Warrington. That must be rather expensive.

I've boarded a VTWC at Watford Junction heading towards Euston with no issues. However:

- the trains aren't shown on the departure boards. The platform screen said that the train was not in passenger service.
- the guard could charge you an Anytime Single from the last station the train called. This could be as far north as Warrington or Preston!

At Stevenage I've been prevented from boarding a train that was set down only by the guard. Local door was in operation to prevent passengers boarding.

When I was at Watford the boards clearly said "DO NOT BOARD" in place of every Virgin service.
I've got on at Stevenage multiple times no issue, most of the day these stops are advertised.
 

furlong

Established Member
Joined
28 Mar 2013
Messages
5,326
Location
Reading
the guard could charge you an Anytime Single from the last station the train called. This could be as far north as Warrington or Preston!
Really? I've never managed to work out a contractual basis for a claim like this.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
Ex Glasgow services are fast from Warrington. That must be rather expensive.



When I was at Watford the boards clearly said "DO NOT BOARD" in place of every Virgin service. I've got on at Stevenage multiple times no issue, most of the day these stops are advertised.

Thinking about it, it probably was 'Do not board' rather than 'not in public service'. Either way the message was quite clear. I was with a friend who was very hesitant about boarding whereas I'm a bit more knowledgeable about the risk involved.

None of the stops at Stevenage are pick up/set down any longer, I think this changed about 10 years ago.
 

GW43125

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2014
Messages
2,313
There are no such services that stop at Watford Jn. Of the two ex Glasgow services that do, both late evening, both call at MKC before it.

I don't know how, but I managed to completely forget this was a thread about Watford Jn...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top