• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wakefield Kirkgate - lost opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,378
Location
Yorks
Grand Central do serve Wakefield Kirkgate (Virgin East Coast use Westgate):

https://www.grandcentralrail.com/tickets-timetables/routes/

Alan
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


Thanks.

Where abouts on the station is this room? I cannot envisage where on the station this room will be.

I am travelling up to Wakefield for the day on Grand Central later this month and it would be nice to have somewhere warm to wait for the return journey back to London.

Alan


It's in the main building on the Leeds bound platform. However, last time I was there it looked very closed (but at least there's the cafe!).
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lejog

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2015
Messages
1,323
In any event it wouldn't be staffed at the times you are worried about. I doubt the ticket office would be open beyond 17/1800 or before 07/0800 leaving the station exactly as it is now. The simple point is that no one will pay for the staff.

Although the opening times for Northern Connect station ticket offices have been redacted from the Franchise Agreement, IIRC Northern previously announced they were to be 6am to 10pm.
 

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
Yes, I know. I was responding to anti-pacer's mention of the lounge at Westgate.

Sorry for any confusion but I was just stating that Kirkgate doesn't "appear" to have a First Class Lounge, although Westgate does, meaning there are facilities in this city for First Class passengers, albeit not GC ones.

Just out of interest, are XC First Class ticket holders allowed to use the lounge at Westgate, or is it VTEC only?
 

matacaster

On Moderation
Joined
19 Jan 2013
Messages
1,646
Location
Huddersfield
Sorry for any confusion but I was just stating that Kirkgate doesn't "appear" to have a First Class Lounge, although Westgate does, meaning there are facilities in this city for First Class passengers, albeit not GC ones.

Just out of interest, are XC First Class ticket holders allowed to use the lounge at Westgate, or is it VTEC only?

When in the cafe recently, I thought I saw the suggestion of a first class lounge at the far end of the cafe through some doors - I may have been misled though?
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,355
Location
Yorkshire
When in the cafe recently, I thought I saw the suggestion of a first class lounge at the far end of the cafe through some doors - I may have been misled though?

If GC have issued leaflets saying there's a first class lounge, it's hopefully safe to assume that there is one or at least there will be one soon. How long it will avoid being broken into and trashed is another thing altogether though!
 

HowardGWR

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2013
Messages
4,981
If GC have issued leaflets saying there's a first class lounge, it's hopefully safe to assume that there is one or at least there will be one soon. How long it will avoid being broken into and trashed is another thing altogether though!
See my suggestion in post 60 of this thread.
 

Mugby

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2012
Messages
2,132
Location
Derby
If GC have issued leaflets saying there's a first class lounge, it's hopefully safe to assume that there is one or at least there will be one soon. How long it will avoid being broken into and trashed is another thing altogether though!

Well when I was there on Saturday, the (former) Snooty Fox, although barricaded off, appeared to have been broken into and some of the contents were strewn around outside!
 

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Joined
10 Feb 2011
Messages
2,723
Well it looks very nice but the trouble with the subway at Kirkgate is that the entrance on Platform 1 faces the wrong way!

It might look nice but the last couple of times I've been at Kirkgate they'd added a "sound installation" which plays a short sample of a Yorkshire brass band playing "Jerusalem" on a loop. It's a lovely piece of music but any piece of music played over and over again gets irritating to the point of annoyance!
 

HowardGWR

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2013
Messages
4,981

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Joined
21 Jun 2013
Messages
2,274
It might look nice but the last couple of times I've been at Kirkgate they'd added a "sound installation" which plays a short sample of a Yorkshire brass band playing "Jerusalem" on a loop. It's a lovely piece of music but any piece of music played over and over again gets irritating to the point of annoyance!

The short sample of Jerusalem plays for about five minutes, I wonder where the PC is for this "sound installation"? Might add a few more tracks to it such as every National Anthem going incliding the USSR anthem, at least you won't just have Jerusalem on a loop.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,378
Location
Yorks
The short sample of Jerusalem plays for about five minutes, I wonder where the PC is for this "sound installation"? Might add a few more tracks to it such as every National Anthem going incliding the USSR anthem, at least you won't just have Jerusalem on a loop.

Every National Anthem ? Some of them are pretty dire !

The USSR's (the tune of which is also modern Russia's) is pretty good though. As is the Marseillaise.
 

Mugby

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2012
Messages
2,132
Location
Derby
Why is the subway entrance on Platform 1 facing the wrong way? I didn't get that one.:-?

Because from the main entrance you have to walk some distance along Platform 1 then do a U turn and double back to access the subway.

In other words, the subway entrance faces Leeds rather than the station entrance.
 

HowardGWR

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2013
Messages
4,981
Because from the main entrance you have to walk some distance along Platform 1 then do a U turn and double back to access the subway.

In other words, the subway entrance faces Leeds rather than the station entrance.

Thanks, you gather I have never been there. There must be an historical reason for that. Possibly ground conditions?
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,378
Location
Yorks
Thanks, you gather I have never been there. There must be an historical reason for that. Possibly ground conditions?

It looks as though there used to be a staircase within the building, as at Huddersfield until recently.
 

Cletus

Established Member
Joined
11 Dec 2010
Messages
2,399
Location
Dover
Was a bit odd hearing that music last Saturday when I was there. It was just after I'd paid 60p for a can of Diet Coke and a bottle of water, I knew I was up North! Lol
 
Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,355
Location
Yorkshire
Thanks, you gather I have never been there. There must be an historical reason for that. Possibly ground conditions?

Historically platform 1 (and 2) stretched further towards Leeds so the top of the ramp wasn't right at the platform end. There was also a staircase I believe, so the ramp wouldn't be used by the majority.
Considering the history of the station, I'm wondering if there was a footbridge in the past- in part because the subway is pretty narrow and being ramped I'm wondering if it was originally used for parcels traffic rather than being the main passenger crossing point. Needs someone with better knowledge than me though!
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,060
Location
Sheffield
Considering the history of the station, I'm wondering if there was a footbridge in the past- in part because the subway is pretty narrow and being ramped I'm wondering if it was originally used for parcels traffic rather than being the main passenger crossing point.

The layout suggests that might be the case, but in this photo from the 1960s there is no footbridge.
 

Attachments

  • Wakefield_Kirkgate_Station_2043843_b4dd89c8.jpg
    Wakefield_Kirkgate_Station_2043843_b4dd89c8.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 71

anti-pacer

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2013
Messages
2,312
Location
Liverpool
Was a bit odd hearing that music last Saturday when I was there. It was just after I'd paid 60p for a can of Diet Coke and a bottle of water, I knew I was up North! Lol

Please tell me where in my fair city you can purchase a can of Diet Coke AND a bottle of water for 60p.
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,716
Location
West Riding
Please tell me where in my fair city you can purchase a can of Diet Coke AND a bottle of water for 60p.

Perhaps one of the two items fell out of the machine, as sometimes happens.

Also, I'd suggest Dark Satanic mills is being taken a little too literally and not as intended if it's being applied to Wakefield. It was more of an anti-establishment reference, rather than referring to actual mills.
 
Last edited:

superkev

Established Member
Joined
1 Mar 2015
Messages
2,863
Location
west yorkshire
I can't help thinking that the people of Wakefield and Castleford would make good use of a transpennine service to Manchester and York perhaps diverting one an hour away from congested Leeds. I'm sure too there's a place for some innovative solution to getting between Westgate and Kirkgate.
K
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
I can't help thinking that the people of Wakefield and Castleford would make good use of a transpennine service to Manchester and York perhaps diverting one an hour away from congested Leeds. I'm sure too there's a place for some innovative solution to getting between Westgate and Kirkgate.
K

why would you divert a train a way from 100 passengers to pick up 10?
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,378
Location
Yorks
why would you divert a train a way from 100 passengers to pick up 10?

As I understand it, the Huddersfield - Wakefield stopper is due to be extended to Castleford. I could see the service being a lot more useful if it were to be extended to York.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top