• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wabtec Awarded Contract For £60M Class 321 Refurbishment Project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,570
Location
Essex
Is there any reason why the 321 fleet number are being moved slightly higher? Visibility would seem to be the main reason but some have black numbers on a dark grey background.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AC47461

Member
Joined
13 Feb 2017
Messages
260
Location
RAYLEIGH, ESSEX
To me they seem a bit random rather than a conscientious move to put them somewhere else. Some black, some white, some just below the lights, some on the valance, and quite a few seemingly applied in a rush. ;)

At least you can still see them easily, as opposed the the 345s where they're tucked away voyager style down the side below platform level....(oops the spotter in me has just popped out :lol:)....
 

Wivenswold

Established Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,570
Location
Essex
Yes, I wrongly assumed that it denoted a "refreshed" unit, as you say, it's very random.
 

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2009
Messages
3,851
Location
UK
I was on a refreshed (non Ren) 321 today for the first time, I know that sounds bloody crazy but my normal train is almost always a 360 and whenever I've got a 321 it's been a Ren set or a traditional 321 with the Green seating.

Does anyone else think that the refreshed ones with the black seats and what seems to be newer seat padding are far more uncomfortable? It sounds silly but the angle of the 321 original seat (which is poor) and a new harder fresh cushion really don't go well together?

I went on 321355 and 321308 (a set) today and the later, despite looking tired, was far more comfortable to sit on.
 

Wivenswold

Established Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,570
Location
Essex
In short, no. I find the older green cushions are too soft. The newer ones support my spine much better. 360's are the best. Good lumber support and the firm base is better for the arthritis in my hips.
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
I think the black cushions are probably a bit firmer than the old green ones simply because they aren't 15-20 years old. That said, the seat still feels much the same to sit on to me, the angle and position of those seats is all wrong, for me they're too reclined and too low to the ground, but that doesn't mean they're especially problematic, I do suffer back problems and 40 mins sitting on one last night didn't seem to be an issue.
 

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2009
Messages
3,851
Location
UK
The firmness is what gets me, I used to slouch in them a bit because i'm tall, but it's no longer possible to do so without digging into your back.

I agree that the 360s are the best though, far better angle and lacking the crazy recline.
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
'best' is a bit relative, I was never particularly keen on those seats, they're alright but nothing compared to the seats on long-distance units. Nonetheless I much prefer being upright.
 

Wivenswold

Established Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,570
Location
Essex
Horses for courses I guess. Finding a seat that will suit everyone will be impossible.
 

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2009
Messages
3,851
Location
UK
'best' is a bit relative, I was never particularly keen on those seats, they're alright but nothing compared to the seats on long-distance units. Nonetheless I much prefer being upright.

Of course, you cannot compare the 360 seats to that of a long distance train, but for commuter journeys and the work they do, they are pretty good if you ask me.

The 321 seats are just at a terrible angle/posture,. made worse for me at least by a firmer cushion that makes me feel even more rigid at an awkward angle.
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
Does anybody know what the story is with 321312? Took me very much by surprise to see an urefurbished unit with all the vossloh gear underneath...
 

dp21

Member
Joined
10 May 2017
Messages
358
Does anybody know what the story is with 321312? Took me very much by surprise to see an urefurbished unit with all the vossloh gear underneath...

The way the project has been planned means that some units get "renatused" before traction upgrade and some get the traction upgrade prior to renatus work.

312 should now be out and about for driver training but not in service. I believe 304 and 321 are off on trials together soon and the hope is to have them in service soon.
 

samuelmorris

Established Member
Joined
18 Jul 2013
Messages
5,121
Location
Brentwood, Essex
312 passed me this morning as the rear unit of a 12-car set and looked very much in service, hence asking, I had no idea they were retractioning some of the units prior to the interior refit, very interesting.
 

Wivenswold

Established Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,570
Location
Essex
I suppose the rear unit could be isolated on a 12 car in service in the morning on the UP journey, then return ECS Down back to Ilford thus giving the driver training on it. It would then be in place to do the near-daily training run to Witham.

I would think that AC and DC motored units couldn't both power a multiple consist. The AC units apparently have far greater acceleration. However, happy to be corrected.
 

dp21

Member
Joined
10 May 2017
Messages
358
I suppose the rear unit could be isolated on a 12 car in service in the morning on the UP journey, then return ECS Down back to Ilford thus giving the driver training on it. It would then be in place to do the near-daily training run to Witham.

I would think that AC and DC motored units couldn't both power a multiple consist. The AC units apparently have far greater acceleration. However, happy to be corrected.

The units undergoing in-service driver training. It has a multiple-only restriction just in case there are any issues. They can adjust the acceleration profile similar to when the 455s operated as AC/DC pairs. So it is running as such.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,838
Location
West of Andover
Was that 321448 I saw at Doncaster yesterday evening? Looked like the two driving coaches and the trailer coach
 

dp21

Member
Joined
10 May 2017
Messages
358
Was that 321448 I saw at Doncaster yesterday evening? Looked like the two driving coaches and the trailer coach

Yup it is indeed up there. I believe for attention on air con but also I heard rumours it's having its hopper windows refitted as the air con on it is so troublesome.
 

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,195
The Porterbrook livery it carries is unique I believe. I saw it at Doncaster as well.
 

Domh245

Established Member
Joined
6 Apr 2013
Messages
8,426
Location
nowhere
The Porterbrook livery it carries is unique I believe. I saw it at Doncaster as well.

Eversholt you mean?

34700917083_8d2df83086_c.jpg
 

TEW

Established Member
Joined
16 May 2008
Messages
6,228
2 Renatus 321s reported to be in service today. Can confirm 321321 is working the 1518 Liverpool Street to Clacton-on-Sea.
 

D365

Veteran Member
Joined
29 Jun 2012
Messages
13,195
2 Renatus 321s reported to be in service today. Can confirm 321321 is working the 1518 Liverpool Street to Clacton-on-Sea.

A rather appropriate unit number!
 

Wivenswold

Established Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,570
Location
Essex
Typical, first day of a week's rest from commuting and they sneak out. Not a surprise though, they've been running in pairs on the test outing for a couple of weeks.
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
I suppose the rear unit could be isolated on a 12 car in service in the morning on the UP journey, then return ECS Down back to Ilford thus giving the driver training on it. It would then be in place to do the near-daily training run to Witham.

Huh? I'm pretty sure the driver has to sign all the units in the formation whether they are driving from them or not.
 

Alfie1014

Established Member
Joined
27 Jun 2012
Messages
1,205
Location
Essex
2 Renatus 321s reported to be in service today. Can confirm 321321 is working the 1518 Liverpool Street to Clacton-on-Sea.
I saw it pass Wivenhoe on the 18:48 Liv St to Clacton later in the evening, it was the country unit of 12 car set.
 

Wivenswold

Established Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,570
Location
Essex
Huh? I'm pretty sure the driver has to sign all the units in the formation whether they are driving from them or not.

You could well be right, I'm just wondering how an AC unit can attach to 2 DC ones.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top