I thought I'd register and add my thoughts here, as a driver who has worked both DOO and non DOO services in my time.
I am against the DOO method of working. It adds more pressure, far more distraction and ultimately criminal liability onto the driver, on top of everything else we have to do. I cannot think of any way how DOO added positively to my duties at all. All it just meant was extra work, extra stress, and a rubbish service for the public.
Regarding in cab CCTV dispatch, with trains such as the IEP, I would like to know precisely what a driver is supposed to do if someone is leaning against the 10th coach down from you. On the DOO routes I have previously worked, the trains are much shorter, you could lean out of the window and shout at them to stand back, or even dispatch like a 'reverse guard' by standing on the platform and operating the doors. On long DOO trains, or DOO trains with no proper secondary method of viewing the platform, I would like to know how the hell this is at all safe.
The procedure would be 'ring the singaller, secure the cab, walk back 10 coaches, tell the punter to stand away, return to the cab, phone the signaller and restart the dispatch process and hope they remain stood away'. Thus all the supposed time savings from DOO are down the pan.
Or alternatively a guard can just dispatch from the location the troublesome punters are at in their presence and keep a good eye out whilst closing the local door. Much quicker and much safer too.
I asked a colleague who worked on a 12 car DOO operator, before transferring to a non DOO operator, and he said 'we just pulled out and hoped for the best, you'd be there all day if you started taking your key out walking back and rowing with passengers for standing in front of the yellow line'.
What I do think is necessary is for the narrative to be challenged so that is not a debate about "opening a door", but about "criminal liability for train dispatch procedures". The Liverpool incident is certainly controversial, but the girl would have still been killed if the train was DOO. I do not want to re-hash all that, but DOO would not have prevented it.
There are valid arguments about not giving the driver control of opening the doors (due to the increase risk of them pressing the door buttons when stopped at signals or out of course stations) - and equally reasons in favour (the driver is less likely to release them if he stops short - although I think most guards know where they are on the platform anyway) , but the real issue is about safe train dispatch. Who actually presses the button is a bit more of a side issue.
I also found the following link, and the first comment below adequately sums up why DOO is no good from both an operational and a customer service position.
https://mancunian1001.wordpress.com/2014/06/30/cuts-scene-investigation-why-driver-only-operation-just-wouldnt-doo/
I have always felt slightly uneasy when driving DOO. With a guard I can relax and concentrate on my job which is to drive. I am a driver, not a guard, and not platform dispatch.
Incidentally surely the most safe method of dispatch would be a guard operating the doors, and the platform staff operating the RA. No chance of dispatch on a red either.