• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Virgin Trains West Coast - a more holistic approach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,790
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Indeed. I think Neil Williams' proposal instead concerned delays to the booked train - an unrelated scenario

Yes, my scenario related to a situation where the booked train was *already* known to be delayed such that making the booked connection may be difficult. I misunderstood that this wasn't the case here.

TBH, I think 11 minutes minimum connection to the Low Level platforms at Lime St is tight. Maybe it should change officially to 15 minutes.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,154
lol in this instance I was trying to help the railway. The 1707 might have resulted in an earlier arrival home but would have guaranteed connection. I have paid £140 for a ticket and was willing to pay an admin fee for a change. By asking for an additional £100 it was a no brainer to stay on the booked train. Yes it was only 7 minutes late but I had an 11 minute connection. In those 4 minutes, I was expected to collect luggage, walk 10 coaches, and transfer to Merseyrail. I actually cleared Platform 7 at 2003 the time of my connection departure. The West Kirby line switches to an half hourly service at 1933 - so arrival was then 30 minutes late.

I don't make the rules but know I am entitled to claim - the main point of this is I offered to help VT get me home on time.

For the record, on checking the 1707 it arrived 3 minutes late as well. That delay would result in a mad rush to catch the 1933 service to West Kirby so if I had been on that train the chances are that I would have only caught my original connection at 2003 and this by paying an extra £10 to do so!

I understand your dissatisfaction but where do you draw the line? What if I had a 15 minute connection (many would consider that tight). Should I be allowed to catch an earlier train if my meeting finished early to have a better chance of making it?

Yes, my scenario related to a situation where the booked train was *already* known to be delayed such that making the booked connection may be difficult. I misunderstood that this wasn't the case here.

I agree that if the booked train is known to be running late then flexibility should be shown.
 

joke2711

Member
Joined
7 Oct 2013
Messages
275
A further update on this ...

I submitted a delay repay claim for £72, half of the £144 and received quite quickly a RTV for £50. I have reported back to Virgin that this is incorrect and they are yet to respond.

At the same time I emailed Customer Services to make them aware of what happened and how it has cost them money by this stance. Today I received a reply back thanking for my comments and they will pass my comments onto a Customer Experience Manager ... they have also enclosed £50 of RTV's for my inconvenience.

So at the moment, I have refused to pay the £100 charge and they have already refunded me £100 in RTV's - makes more sense by the minute :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top