I regularly travel on the 17:33 London Euston to Liverpool followed by the 2003 from Liverpool Low Level to West Kirby. This allows an 11 minute connection time at Lime Street.
This is a great service for Delay Repay as if the arrival at Liverpool is 5 minutes late, there is next to no chance of making the connection, so my ultimate arrival is always half an hour late.
I was booked on this service yesterday - first class advance at a cost of £140 - London to West Kirby. My appointment finished earlier than anticipated and I arrived at Euston at 1645. I went to the ticket office and asked if I could travel on the 1707 and this would ensure connection and was happy to pay an admin fee. Virgin said I could travel on the service as a standard class passenger for £10, but to remain in 1st class it would cost another £100. I politely declined their offer and went to the first class lounge to await the 1733 departure. You can guess what happens, this train is late again by 9 minutes and I now have a delay repay claim for £70.
I know that to change a ticket it is the cost of the walk up fare minus fare paid plus admin fee but really, they could have had an extra £10 but have cost themselves £70. It really is limited foresight ...
This is a great service for Delay Repay as if the arrival at Liverpool is 5 minutes late, there is next to no chance of making the connection, so my ultimate arrival is always half an hour late.
I was booked on this service yesterday - first class advance at a cost of £140 - London to West Kirby. My appointment finished earlier than anticipated and I arrived at Euston at 1645. I went to the ticket office and asked if I could travel on the 1707 and this would ensure connection and was happy to pay an admin fee. Virgin said I could travel on the service as a standard class passenger for £10, but to remain in 1st class it would cost another £100. I politely declined their offer and went to the first class lounge to await the 1733 departure. You can guess what happens, this train is late again by 9 minutes and I now have a delay repay claim for £70.
I know that to change a ticket it is the cost of the walk up fare minus fare paid plus admin fee but really, they could have had an extra £10 but have cost themselves £70. It really is limited foresight ...