I'm currently at Kings Cross, I had an Advance to Nottingham on the 1609 via Grantham. After a short break, I have an Advance to Manchester On EMT. Unfortunately that train was cancelled, and there's a lack of alternatives because of poor connections at Grantham. The platform staff advised to try the 1633 to Leeds, but this was so full and so, so hot I could hardly board, and 10 minutes after its booked departure time the guard announced that we wouldn't be going anywhere.
In an attempt to replan my journey I tried the ticket office. The guy in the ticket office said I was no longer valid because I hadn't caught the first train. I pointed out that I had and it hadn't gone anywhere. I think all the Leeds passengers got the 1703, which was hideously overcrowded, but didn't call at Grantham. The guy in the ticket office said my tickets were only valid with his endorsement for the 1719 because it connects with the train to Nottingham. I pointed out that it didn't, the 1733 did. "No, sir, stop, you just need to listen to me. Your train was canceled, you can therefore only use 1 train either side of it. This is the rule you agree to when you buy these tickets. If you have some other journey booked later, that's irrelevant, and you will need to make your own arrangements with East Midlands Trains for that. What you've done is tried to save money, so this is the risk you've taken and now you cannot catch the 1719, only the 1733. Do not get on any other train."
Clearly there's a lot of wibble there, but this is a bizarre attitude. I'm concerned that VTEC, particularly following my previous experience, are not doing anything at all to assist passengers in getting to their destination. In my case arguably Manchester, given I'm now 2 hours late and won't have any time to stay at Nottingham even when I finally get there. Furthermore, it looks like I might miss the last Nottingham to Manchester train. Why are VTEC so poor at arrangements for alternative routes (in this case MML / WCML) when things go wrong? I pointed out at KGX that I might be unable to complete my journey, and was told it was now at East Midlands Trains discretion wether to take me or not. I said that was not the case because the VTEC service had been canceled "I'm afraid that's the risk you take with an Advance ticket." Talk about customer focus! I can't get any disruption information whatsoever for Kings Cross from NRE to check for ticket acceptence.
Update: I am aboard the 1733 and we have now departed.
In an attempt to replan my journey I tried the ticket office. The guy in the ticket office said I was no longer valid because I hadn't caught the first train. I pointed out that I had and it hadn't gone anywhere. I think all the Leeds passengers got the 1703, which was hideously overcrowded, but didn't call at Grantham. The guy in the ticket office said my tickets were only valid with his endorsement for the 1719 because it connects with the train to Nottingham. I pointed out that it didn't, the 1733 did. "No, sir, stop, you just need to listen to me. Your train was canceled, you can therefore only use 1 train either side of it. This is the rule you agree to when you buy these tickets. If you have some other journey booked later, that's irrelevant, and you will need to make your own arrangements with East Midlands Trains for that. What you've done is tried to save money, so this is the risk you've taken and now you cannot catch the 1719, only the 1733. Do not get on any other train."
Clearly there's a lot of wibble there, but this is a bizarre attitude. I'm concerned that VTEC, particularly following my previous experience, are not doing anything at all to assist passengers in getting to their destination. In my case arguably Manchester, given I'm now 2 hours late and won't have any time to stay at Nottingham even when I finally get there. Furthermore, it looks like I might miss the last Nottingham to Manchester train. Why are VTEC so poor at arrangements for alternative routes (in this case MML / WCML) when things go wrong? I pointed out at KGX that I might be unable to complete my journey, and was told it was now at East Midlands Trains discretion wether to take me or not. I said that was not the case because the VTEC service had been canceled "I'm afraid that's the risk you take with an Advance ticket." Talk about customer focus! I can't get any disruption information whatsoever for Kings Cross from NRE to check for ticket acceptence.
Update: I am aboard the 1733 and we have now departed.