Hi all. I have a routing question which I feel I'm getting conflicting information on.
I currently have a monthly travelcard for Merstham (MHM) to London Zones 2-6. In December, I will change this to an annual travelcard with the same points.
Traveling between Merstham to Clapham Junction, I currently get the 17:41 from Merstham to East Croydon and change, but occasionally miss it by a minute or two and I rely on the 17:56 to East Croydon. However, looking forward to the new timetable for the new year, the 17:56 has been removed. The first train after the 17:41 is the 18:11. Meaning if I miss the first train by a minute I'll be waiting on the platform for 29 minutes.
A journey planner request for this time frame suggests the following option:
- 17:50 Merstham to Redhill (arriving 17:53)
- 17:57 Redhill to Clapham Junction
It's this journey that I can't decide if it's a valid route on a Merstham to Zone 2 monthly/annual travelcard.
The journey would require 'doubling back', as the Redhill to Clapham Junction train would travel back through Merstham (but not stopping at Merstham).
I submitted a question to National Rail on their website and received the response:
"Thank you for your email regarding travel on a season ticket valid from Merstham to London zones 2. I can confirm that travel via Redhill will not be valid on this ticket as it is not a permitted route."
But they did suggest I should contact Southern directly. I wrote Southern and their response only apologized for the reduction in the timetable, without even attempting to address the 'is this a valid journey' question.
So far, it seems that no, this would not be a valid journey for this season ticket. However, here is why I feel it may be a valid journey:
On the National Rail website when using the season ticket calculator for Merstham to Clapham Junction the option returned says:
" Merstham (MHM) to 2-6
Available Standard Class Adult Season Tickets(Travel is allowed by any route option shown by the Journey Planner)"
Which this journey is returned on the Journey Planner.
Also on the Southern Railway site when pricing a season ticket I can explictly say, "via Redhill" and the ticket price remains the same.
So now I'm stuck between National Rail telling me in e-mail that 'it is not a valid journey', but information on the websites leading me to believe it is.
Anyone care to weigh in on this one?
Sorry for the lengthy post, but I felt there was alot of information to convey.
Thanks,
Duane-O
I currently have a monthly travelcard for Merstham (MHM) to London Zones 2-6. In December, I will change this to an annual travelcard with the same points.
Traveling between Merstham to Clapham Junction, I currently get the 17:41 from Merstham to East Croydon and change, but occasionally miss it by a minute or two and I rely on the 17:56 to East Croydon. However, looking forward to the new timetable for the new year, the 17:56 has been removed. The first train after the 17:41 is the 18:11. Meaning if I miss the first train by a minute I'll be waiting on the platform for 29 minutes.
A journey planner request for this time frame suggests the following option:
- 17:50 Merstham to Redhill (arriving 17:53)
- 17:57 Redhill to Clapham Junction
It's this journey that I can't decide if it's a valid route on a Merstham to Zone 2 monthly/annual travelcard.
The journey would require 'doubling back', as the Redhill to Clapham Junction train would travel back through Merstham (but not stopping at Merstham).
I submitted a question to National Rail on their website and received the response:
"Thank you for your email regarding travel on a season ticket valid from Merstham to London zones 2. I can confirm that travel via Redhill will not be valid on this ticket as it is not a permitted route."
But they did suggest I should contact Southern directly. I wrote Southern and their response only apologized for the reduction in the timetable, without even attempting to address the 'is this a valid journey' question.
So far, it seems that no, this would not be a valid journey for this season ticket. However, here is why I feel it may be a valid journey:
On the National Rail website when using the season ticket calculator for Merstham to Clapham Junction the option returned says:
" Merstham (MHM) to 2-6
Available Standard Class Adult Season Tickets(Travel is allowed by any route option shown by the Journey Planner)"
Which this journey is returned on the Journey Planner.
Also on the Southern Railway site when pricing a season ticket I can explictly say, "via Redhill" and the ticket price remains the same.
So now I'm stuck between National Rail telling me in e-mail that 'it is not a valid journey', but information on the websites leading me to believe it is.
Anyone care to weigh in on this one?
Sorry for the lengthy post, but I felt there was alot of information to convey.
Thanks,
Duane-O