Broken Viking
On Moderation
Hail all! 
All this recent talk about railcards and validity has reminded me that I need to start looking at my own options for replacing my current YPR. The situation is that my railcard expires in mid May, but with my 26th being in November (And me not being in full-time education) I'm not sure whether I'd be allowed to renew it as normal, given that I'll cease to be valid on age grounds come November.
When trying to gauge other options in relation to my usage of the rails (I travel all over, and would like to have the discount available in as many locations as possible) I've come up with two possible replacements:

If anyone can give me a bit of advice on the be(a)st and most appropriate railcard for me to choose once I cease to be valid for a Y-P, then I'd be most greatful.
>> Death <<
All this recent talk about railcards and validity has reminded me that I need to start looking at my own options for replacing my current YPR. The situation is that my railcard expires in mid May, but with my 26th being in November (And me not being in full-time education) I'm not sure whether I'd be allowed to renew it as normal, given that I'll cease to be valid on age grounds come November.
When trying to gauge other options in relation to my usage of the rails (I travel all over, and would like to have the discount available in as many locations as possible) I've come up with two possible replacements:
- Family Railcard:
Like the YPR, this appears to allow discounted travel right across the country for the holder and another 1-3 adults on similar time/ticket restrictions to the YPR. However, one problem seems to be that a child also needs to be travelling with the card holder for the railcard to be valid...Definitely not an option for me as I never intend to have kids.
I have wondered whether this "Child must travel" requirement extends to actually having a child present, or whether just buying a child ticket alongside my own would be sufficient to validate travel under such a railcard. Can anyone clarify the situation, and whether or not the latter practice would be permitted?
. - Network Railcard:
This offers the same discount as the YPR in terms of fares available, and (I think) runs to the same time restrictions, but the biggest kick in the teeth for me is the fact that it's restricted to journeys within the old NSE region...Although I can't seem to determine whether that means it's only for journeys wholly within NSE, or if it can be used for journeys that include an NSE section as part of the trip.
My most regular journey nowadays is FNB -> DBY via WOK, WAT/MYB, HWY, BAN, BMO/BHM and TAM, and if holding a Network Railcard I think I'd be able to obtain the discount for my split tickets between FNB-WOK and WOK-HWY-BMO, meaning I'd only have to pay full fare on the XC leg between Birmingham and Derby (Which is only £3.00 more than I currently pay anyway).
Can anyone confirm that I'm interpreting the Network Railcard rules and discounts correctly?
If anyone can give me a bit of advice on the be(a)st and most appropriate railcard for me to choose once I cease to be valid for a Y-P, then I'd be most greatful.
>> Death <<
