When I first read the message (before scrolling down for context), my first assumption wasn't "train divided", more that someone had uncoupled a pair of units that weren't due to be split, or whatever. I've certainly seen instances where drivers have uncoupled a late-running train that had fallen into the path of the one they were supposed to be splitting (that caused a few please-explains). Alternatively it could have been "delay while detaching a unit", 15x sometimes take quite a few attempts which might lose a path.You don't just press the uncouple button 'by accident'. To accidentally uncouple you'd need to go into the coupled cab, key in, cancel the AWS, set the desk up correctly and then press the uncouple button (and on modern units such as 195s and I suspect 80x the train will automatically recouple if not moved apart a certain amount of time since they were uncoupled). You don't just accidentally push a button from the front cab and leave a unit behind on the move!
None of these turned out to be the case here of course.
I do remember a driver who used to be with Northern telling me that they had a 142 where the "uncouple" pin and the "notch 5" pin had become transposed. So that when the train accelerated through the Edge Hill Tunnels the rear unit would detach itself. I hope that as soon as this was discovered someone was sent quickly with "non-multi" signs.
"A broken down freight train" would have been better. Easier for a layman to understand and tells them as much as they need to know.Indeed, but in this case the PIS was set (whether manually or by default) to replace it with a message that sounds potentially a little less dramatic.
I was glad when this change happened. It always irked me that there were TDA codes covering overcrowding due to a special event, unusually high footfall, or disruption; yet there was no code for "overcrowding because it's always overcrowded at this time on a Saturday". At least they're now admitting that overcrowding is normal, rather than it being considered unusual.That one will be ‘an unusually large passenger flow’, it’s just the word ‘flow’ has been cut off.
Most TOCs are using newer delay reasons with the equivalent reason for this being ‘overcrowding’.