• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK trip 2007 - day 1 "The West Highlander"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reini

Member
Joined
19 Mar 2007
Messages
105
Location
Austria/Vienna
Yesterday morning we arrived in Vienna after our UK trip.
Our flight to London was booked on August 24th from Vienna to London via Düsseldorf. We arrived at Stansted about 30 minutes at 16:00. After our arrival, we went to London Euston where we took the sleeper to Carlisle.

After a short night, we arrived at 4:30 in Carlisle, where I was able to took a photo of a Class 158:

IMG_5757.jpg


156455 stand next to it:

IMG_5758.jpg


40145 has arrived the day before and is now waiting to depart from Carlisle:

IMG_5763.jpg


Before our departure, some different Class 66 passed Carlisle:

IMG_5769.jpg


IMG_5771.jpg


After the freight train, our train was shunted to the platform:

IMG_5773.jpg


The departure has been punctual at 6:16, now we are heading noth to Fort William.

A short stop at Kilmarnock:

IMG_5777.jpg


Another short stop between Glasgow and Fort William (I forgot the name of the station):

IMG_5790.jpg


After some hours, the weather was better and even the sun came out:

IMG_5823.jpg


I have never been on such an impressive line like this:

IMG_5836.jpg


IMG_5842.jpg


IMG_5899.jpg


IMG_5910.jpg


40145 after we arrived about 60min late in Carlisle:

IMG_5924.jpg


67007 of the Fort William sleeper:

IMG_5927.jpg


After our short break in Fort William we were on the move again, back to Carlisle. The steam train from Mallaig is waiting for the signal at Fort William Junction:

IMG_5931.jpg


Now the WestCoast Mainline Class 57 hauled the train through the Highlands:

IMG_5967.jpg


IMG_5975.jpg


IMG_5977.jpg


IMG_5985.jpg


A glance back to the "Whistler" 40145:

IMG_5990.jpg


After a long day, we finally arrived Carlisle at about 00:30:

IMG_5993.jpg


I would like to thank Neil McDonald who made it possible that we collected and paid the tickets on the train, otherwise we wouldn't be able to join this great tour.

Although it was a very long and exhausting day I enjoyed every second of it!

Part two will follow soon...
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
Another short stop between Glasgow and Fort William (I forgot the name of the station):

IMG_5790.jpg
That's the same photo, as the one above it
Can you update and replace, and then we might be able to identify the "unknown station"
 

Daniel

Established Member
Joined
5 Oct 2005
Messages
2,568
Location
London
After a short night, we arrived at 4:30 in Carlisle, where I was able to took a photo of a Turbostar:

IMG_5757.jpg

Nice shot, but that isn't a Turbostar - It's a Class 158, (sometimes called a sprinter).
 

Reini

Member
Joined
19 Mar 2007
Messages
105
Location
Austria/Vienna
Or, to give it it's BREL brand name, a SPRINTER EXPRESS

OK, I hope I'll remember next time ;)

Jordy said:
Thats on the Oban line, it can't be anything other than 'Bridge of Orchy'

Seems to be correct, I only remember that it was an unusual name for a station :grin:

I'm glad to see that you enjoy my shots - I hope I can finish part two until tomorrow (Locomotion/Shildon, London Underground, Tramlink)
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
Great photos. I love the WHL. I'd like to go up someday.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top