There will be no black boxes. Mileage will be recorded at MOT stations and submitted to the government for invoicing. What happens in the first 3 years I don't know. I'm irked by this, I drive a plug in hybrid, and do about 6000 miles a year in France. Apparently I'll still owe UK Gov for this, even though I'm not using UK roads, but paying French tolls.
Never mind the fact that I rarely plug it in, so the battery charge is from petrol I've already paid duty on. It's double taxation.
Should we start the betting on this scheme being delayed or shelved ahead of the next election, when it not only proves unpopular and potentially unworkable but might even be used as some sort of deal sweetener by freezing a scheme that never actually started?
There had to be a load of better ways to increase revenue from car users, and this scheme seems dumb because while it isn't that much - it still impacts those who may do low mileages but need to drive for whatever reason. Richer people won't care one bit about the cost, and it certainly won't make them attempt to drive less (assuming there was any desire to use such a scheme to not only raise revenue but potentially reduce congestion).
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Only if your cars are young enough to be riddled with computers!
As every year goes by, there will be more and more cars with such computers and data logging - some able to send data over a mobile connection or Wi-Fi, or downloadable via an OBP port. I don't know what the average age of a car is on the road, but I am sure the technology to track usage has been around for well over ten years at this stage.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
The EV mileage charge is the worst thing from this announcement. I know someone who was on the fence about buying an EV (i.e. resistant, but running out of excuses, since they have a driveway and never do >200mi r/t). They're now determined not to buy one. Yes, they would still save money relative to a petrol car, but you're dealing with stubbornness and the tax being separately visible, not pure logic. It should have been deferred until we were further along the transition.
It will do (arguably has done) loads of damage to those advocating for EVs. For weeks since the Telegraph broke the story, that's nearly all you read on forums and social media. It doesn't matter that it still doesn't make an EV worse than an ICE car (even for those who can't charge at home, because in the last month or so there are plenty of ways to charge much cheaper at public chargers - for between 25-50p per kWh). It's all about perception.
And for what? A scheme not coming anytime soon, and may well be shelved or modified before the next election when common sense is realised. It may well be another embarrassing U-turn for the Government, who will try and spin it by saying they're delaying it but have nevertheless made it clear they intend to introduce such a flawed idea.
Just increase the annual charge for EVs based on the necessary criteria to help those buying a small car versus those buying a massive 2.5-3 tonne behemoth with a 120+kWh battery pack needed to offer any sort of decent range.
Last edited: