pokemonsuper9
Established Member
Sounds like we need electric car charges on the Euroshuttle and ferries then.Of course, it is possible to leave the UK and drive for hundreds of miles on the continent or to Ireland.
Sounds like we need electric car charges on the Euroshuttle and ferries then.Of course, it is possible to leave the UK and drive for hundreds of miles on the continent or to Ireland.
Which neatly sums up the issue. For some, an EV is ideal - off road charging available, mostly short journeys, probably mostly urban. For those who do long journeys (rep-mobiles), or are probably rural, can't afford a more expensive car, maybe does some towing, an ICE is ideal. Do we need a one-size-fits-all?Of course, it is possible to leave the UK and drive for hundreds of miles on the continent or to Ireland. So potential travel distance is largely irrelevant. What counts is what people actually use their car for.
I have to give it to Moto, I usually dislike them (especially Bridgwater services) but they’ve been really good at getting high power EV chargers rolled out with Gridserve.However yesterday he declared himself impressed about how many new charging places he had seen at motorway services and other places, how there was never a queue for them, and how various models of EV looked very smart. We havent had our usual argument about the subject yet!
Sounds like we need electric car charges on the Euroshuttle and ferries then.
Already a thing. Irish Ferries have EV charging on some of their vessels, albeit only 7kWh.Sounds like we need electric car charges on the Euroshuttle and ferries then.
Fair point about the mass but every little helps. I've often let the tank run nearly dry without any problem. I can think of four supermarkets and another four filling stations within three miles of my house so it's not as if filling up is going to be a problem.An extra 20kG of fuel in a car weighing over 1000kG is hardly significant. And I was always taught, probably incorrectly but it sticks, that letting the tank get nearly empty was a bad thing because it stirred up sediment.
Of course, it is possible to leave the UK and drive for hundreds of miles on the continent or to Ireland. So potential travel distance is largely irrelevant. What counts is what people actually use their car for.
Sounds like we need electric car charges on the Euroshuttle and ferries then.
I have often thought that due to the additional fire risk of a ZEV
I have kept at least 20 litres of petrol in my various garages over nearly sixty years with never a fire.Are there any stats to support that statement?
I would much rather have a large battery in the garage than 70 litres of petrol.
I'm not a rep but I drive high mileages in connection with my job and there's no way I'd consider anything other than an EV. It's absolutely fine.Which neatly sums up the issue. For some, an EV is ideal - off road charging available, mostly short journeys, probably mostly urban. For those who do long journeys (rep-mobiles), or are probably rural, can't afford a more expensive car, maybe does some towing, an ICE is ideal. Do we need a one-size-fits-all?
Overtime, with improvements, the tipping point between ICE and EVs will change.
I have often thought that due to the additional fire risk of a ZEV,
No. The stats show the exact opposite, a BEV is about 80 tomes less likely to catch fire than ICE.Are there any stats to support that statement?
I have kept at least 20 litres of petrol in my various garages over nearly sixty years with never a fire.
I have often thought that due to the additional fire risk of a ZEV, the additional risk being the battery fire is a chemical reaction which is hard to control and extinguish, house insurance would be affected, especially if the ZEV is kept in an integral garage to the house.
It seems that scenario is happening, the link is to the owner of a Porsche Taycan , those vehicles are subject to a safety recall for the batteries due to cell damage and fires.
The owner of a taycan has had both his car insurance and house insurance cancelled due to the safety issue of the Porsche batteries.
Insurance cancelled due to fire risk of ZEV Porsche Taycan
I see both his and your points of view, view the link, his £120,000 car has lost £75,000 to £90,000 in 2 years since new, the ownership experience was very poor, his Taycan is afflicted with defects common to the Taycan, battery safety issues, failed heater system, expensive to service. the Taycan is clearly an expensive premium car manufactured to low standards.The owner of that car has made a fortune from the anti-EV YouTube content he has produced. I'm sure he's quite happy, assuming everything he says is 100% true.
Not even close! Electric cars for all? Behave yourselves, we still have 30% of children growing up in poverty in this country. And we’re talking about swanning about in washing machine motors. Beggars belief
I still think we should not be buzzing around in lots of small individual vehicles. Public transport anybody ?.How a car is powered and child poverty certainly wasn't on my anti EV bingo card.
EVs will be cheaper to maintain and more reliable so if anything will help struggling families who need a car but can barely afford to run one. Sure, maybe not today or tomorrow but certainly once EVs are in the majority - which obviously is going to happen whether you like it or not.
What does that specifically have to do with electric cars? Is there some link that I'm unaware of? Are electric cars in some way worse than e.g. Gucci bags or something?Not even close! Electric cars for all? Behave yourselves, we still have 30% of children growing up in poverty in this country. And we’re talking about swanning about in washing machine motors. Beggars belief
Not great outside of major cities.I still think we should not be buzzing around in lots of small individual vehicles. Public transport anybody ?.
I still think we should not be buzzing around in lots of small individual vehicles. Public transport anybody ?.
The only thing I worry about there is that once someone owns a car they are going to be very tempted to use the car for journeys where a car was not necessary.For sure. While I can't see myself unable to go without a car entirely, we only do around 5,000 miles per year and use public transport (or walking, cycling) wherever possible.
I don't think we can get everyone to give up their cars entirely, as not everyone will live in environments where public transport is plentiful (or even taxis) but we seek to get people to use the right tool for the job, and by making public transport or cycling more available and appealing, people won't drive as much.
Indeed, they can then earn money from their cars being used as home batteries when not being driven!
The only thing I worry about there is that once someone owns a car they are going to be very tempted to use the car for journeys where a car was not necessary.
Worse still if they have invested in an expensive (as in brand new) EV there will be less inclined to use public transport as it does not reduce the depreciation cost part of ownership. At least with an old ICE I do not have to consider the depreciation. Time will tell whether there will be a plentiful supply of almost fully depreciated EVs for the light user (or poor) market.
Fingers crossed, sooner than I thought.I haven't been tempted to drive more just because I have the car, but I'm sure some people do. Sunk costs and all that.
We will soon* have many EVs for £1000 or even less, and in due course a lot more than just old Nissan Leafs to choose from.
* Next 2-3 years by my own estimation.
It's not the depreciation that I think about but the fuel cost. I can drive to London and back for less than a fiver in my EV. In my old 208 that would have cost me about £40 in fuel and another £10 in the kitty for oil and servicing.The only thing I worry about there is that once someone owns a car they are going to be very tempted to use the car for journeys where a car was not necessary.
Worse still if they have invested in an expensive (as in brand new) EV there will be less inclined to use public transport as it does not reduce the depreciation cost part of ownership. At least with an old ICE I do not have to consider the depreciation. Time will tell whether there will be a plentiful supply of almost fully depreciated EVs for the light user (or poor) market.
+It's not the depreciation that I think about but the fuel cost. I can drive to London and back for less than a fiver in my EV. In my old 208 that would have cost me about £40 in fuel and another £10 in the kitty for oil and servicing.
Consequently I hardly ever take the train now. Even an off peak ticket is £60 return, fully flexible £110.
We will have to see how the charging for the use of the UK road network pans out.Yes, you'd certainly want to look at the total cost of ownership.. and for an old car, you might be seeking the cost of an extended warranty to cover any nasty surprises.
So an ICE car might be a lot cheaper, but it might be due some costly maintenance work (either normal scheduled stuff, or something more serious and unexpected), require expensive routing servicing, not run quite as efficiently as it once did (just like an EV battery degrading by 10-20% before starting to level off), all of which you need to factor in as well as the cost of fuel.
The EV might cost more, but be a relatively safe bet. Sure, check the tyres and suspension etc, but otherwise if the battery is good then you're likely all set for some years of fuss-free motoring. Servicing will be less, you may not need any extra warranty (but the battery might still be covered anyway) and if you can charge at home then 'fuel' might be 10 times cheaper.
Each individual needs to do the maths to work out what works, but I think a more expensive second-hand EV is almost certainly going to be the safer bet.
Now if you're talking about an old car with no fancy electronics and you've got the skills to do your own work on it then, fine, the ICE car might not be a risk at all - but you still have the cost of fuelling it to consider. Electricity is expected to go down in price this year and next, with more time-of-use tariffs coming, plus hundreds more hours of free or negative priced electricity, but I am not sure there's any suggestion that petrol or diesel is going to come down significantly anytime soon.
The tender for the e-fast charging network for e-trucks marks an important step in the further development of the charging infrastructure in Germany. Interested parties can apply until 18 October. For the first time, the so-called pass-through model, which allows users to 'bring' their own electricity supplier to the charging station, will be mandatory
That is a good step forward. For me also the high cost of public charging acts as a disincentive.In my opinion the one single thing that would advance the cause of EV adoption would be the reduction of public charging costs.
I note Germany are introducing a "pass through" model for truck charging costs on their soon to be implemented autobahn infrastructure. This allows businesses to use their 'home' electricity tariff when their vehicles are out and about on the motorways, the so called "pass through" tariff. Naturally, there is an added "facility fee" to cover the costs of site development - although I have no idea what that fee could be.
If adapted to personal use vehicles, this pricing model could be a game changer for me, and the millions of others who can't charge at home and don't want to pay 89p per unit outside.
Could it become a reality in the UK?
![]()
"Pass-through model ensures price transparency for the first time"
Berlin - With the tender for the e-fast charging network for trucks, the so-called pass-through model is becoming mandatory for the first time. In an interview with energate, Knut Hechtfischer, CEO of the start-up Decarbon1ze, describes how the technology strengthens competition and reduces...www.energate-messenger.com
In my opinion the one single thing that would advance the cause of EV adoption would be the reduction of public charging costs.
I note Germany are introducing a "pass through" model for truck charging costs on their soon to be implemented autobahn infrastructure. This allows businesses to use their 'home' electricity tariff when their vehicles are out and about on the motorways, the so called "pass through" tariff. Naturally, there is an added "facility fee" to cover the costs of site development - although I have no idea what that fee could be.
If adapted to personal use vehicles, this pricing model could be a game changer for me, and the millions of others who can't charge at home and don't want to pay 89p per unit outside.
Could it become a reality in the UK?
![]()
"Pass-through model ensures price transparency for the first time"
Berlin - With the tender for the e-fast charging network for trucks, the so-called pass-through model is becoming mandatory for the first time. In an interview with energate, Knut Hechtfischer, CEO of the start-up Decarbon1ze, describes how the technology strengthens competition and reduces...www.energate-messenger.com