• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

UK switching to electric vehicles discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,136
Of course, it is possible to leave the UK and drive for hundreds of miles on the continent or to Ireland. So potential travel distance is largely irrelevant. What counts is what people actually use their car for.
Which neatly sums up the issue. For some, an EV is ideal - off road charging available, mostly short journeys, probably mostly urban. For those who do long journeys (rep-mobiles), or are probably rural, can't afford a more expensive car, maybe does some towing, an ICE is ideal. Do we need a one-size-fits-all?

Overtime, with improvements, the tipping point between ICE and EVs will change.
 

Energy

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2018
Messages
5,135
However yesterday he declared himself impressed about how many new charging places he had seen at motorway services and other places, how there was never a queue for them, and how various models of EV looked very smart. We havent had our usual argument about the subject yet!
I have to give it to Moto, I usually dislike them (especially Bridgwater services) but they’ve been really good at getting high power EV chargers rolled out with Gridserve.

Most of Motos seem to have 6+ 350kW bays, with Rugby having a whopping 36 (18 dual bay chargers), though that’s a single site for north and southbound.

Queues are rare, utilisation tends to be good but if there’s a cheaper Tesla up the road it’s noticeably quiet.

WelcomeBreak is ok, some have AppleGreen electric which has plenty of chargers but far from every site, many have some Teslas. Roadchef is disappointing but slowly improving.

It feels like EV charging has finally gotten good. Part of that is reliable chargers (Alpitronic, Kempower and some ABB) having emerged, with operators staying far away from the early unreliable units the likes of GeniePoint has. It’s particularly noticeable with BP between an old Chargemaster site and a more modern Alpitronic site.
 
Last edited:

Bikeman78

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2018
Messages
6,194
An extra 20kG of fuel in a car weighing over 1000kG is hardly significant. And I was always taught, probably incorrectly but it sticks, that letting the tank get nearly empty was a bad thing because it stirred up sediment.
Fair point about the mass but every little helps. I've often let the tank run nearly dry without any problem. I can think of four supermarkets and another four filling stations within three miles of my house so it's not as if filling up is going to be a problem.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,954
Of course, it is possible to leave the UK and drive for hundreds of miles on the continent or to Ireland. So potential travel distance is largely irrelevant. What counts is what people actually use their car for.

Indeed so. I have a friend with a Tesla who drove it to southern Italy for the summer family holiday this year.

Sounds like we need electric car charges on the Euroshuttle and ferries then.

Plenty of chargers at the eurotunnel terminals, including some 200kW+ that will fully charge most vehicles in less time than it takes to get a coffee at Starbucks in the terminal buildings.
 

Mawkie

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2016
Messages
1,285
The Electric Trucker's latest upload is a visit to a truck show exhibiting electric trucks and he talks extensively about battery technology and their use in commercial applications, as well the upcoming offerings from Mercedes, DAF, IVECO, etc. He has a large back catalogue of videos using pure electric trucks across Germany.

If you believe what happens in commercial applications filters down towards consumer vehicles, then his channel is worth a look.
 

E27007

Member
Joined
25 May 2018
Messages
1,044
I have often thought that due to the additional fire risk of a ZEV, the additional risk being the battery fire is a chemical reaction which is hard to control and extinguish, house insurance would be affected, especially if the ZEV is kept in an integral garage to the house.

It seems that scenario is happening, the link is to the owner of a Porsche Taycan , those vehicles are subject to a safety recall for the batteries due to cell damage and fires.
The owner of a taycan has had both his car insurance and house insurance cancelled due to the safety issue of the Porsche batteries.

Insurance cancelled due to fire risk of ZEV Porsche Taycan
 

dcbwhaley

On Moderation
Joined
4 Aug 2018
Messages
839
Are there any stats to support that statement?

I would much rather have a large battery in the garage than 70 litres of petrol.
I have kept at least 20 litres of petrol in my various garages over nearly sixty years with never a fire.
I also keep 7kG of LPG and lithium ebike batteries in my current garage and I know which is the most likely to cause problems
 

trebor79

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2018
Messages
4,912
Which neatly sums up the issue. For some, an EV is ideal - off road charging available, mostly short journeys, probably mostly urban. For those who do long journeys (rep-mobiles), or are probably rural, can't afford a more expensive car, maybe does some towing, an ICE is ideal. Do we need a one-size-fits-all?

Overtime, with improvements, the tipping point between ICE and EVs will change.
I'm not a rep but I drive high mileages in connection with my job and there's no way I'd consider anything other than an EV. It's absolutely fine.
I have often thought that due to the additional fire risk of a ZEV,
Are there any stats to support that statement?
No. The stats show the exact opposite, a BEV is about 80 tomes less likely to catch fire than ICE.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,946
Location
UK
I have often thought that due to the additional fire risk of a ZEV, the additional risk being the battery fire is a chemical reaction which is hard to control and extinguish, house insurance would be affected, especially if the ZEV is kept in an integral garage to the house.

It seems that scenario is happening, the link is to the owner of a Porsche Taycan , those vehicles are subject to a safety recall for the batteries due to cell damage and fires.
The owner of a taycan has had both his car insurance and house insurance cancelled due to the safety issue of the Porsche batteries.

Insurance cancelled due to fire risk of ZEV Porsche Taycan

The owner of that car has made a fortune from the anti-EV YouTube content he has produced. I'm sure he's quite happy, assuming everything he says is 100% true.
 

E27007

Member
Joined
25 May 2018
Messages
1,044
The owner of that car has made a fortune from the anti-EV YouTube content he has produced. I'm sure he's quite happy, assuming everything he says is 100% true.
I see both his and your points of view, view the link, his £120,000 car has lost £75,000 to £90,000 in 2 years since new, the ownership experience was very poor, his Taycan is afflicted with defects common to the Taycan, battery safety issues, failed heater system, expensive to service. the Taycan is clearly an expensive premium car manufactured to low standards.
In his shoes I would consider issuing proceedings against Porsche for a refund, I knew a Rolls-Royce owner whose unreliable car was refunded in full, the Chairman of RR visited their home to deal with the matter.

Porsche Taycan ZEV extreme depreciation
 

MrEwy

Member
Joined
1 Jan 2025
Messages
12
Location
Flitwick
Not even close! Electric cars for all? Behave yourselves, we still have 30% of children growing up in poverty in this country. And we’re talking about swanning about in washing machine motors. Beggars belief
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,946
Location
UK
Not even close! Electric cars for all? Behave yourselves, we still have 30% of children growing up in poverty in this country. And we’re talking about swanning about in washing machine motors. Beggars belief

How a car is powered and child poverty certainly wasn't on my anti EV bingo card.

EVs will be cheaper to maintain and more reliable so if anything will help struggling families who need a car but can barely afford to run one. Sure, maybe not today or tomorrow but certainly once EVs are in the majority - which obviously is going to happen whether you like it or not.
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,770
Location
Croydon
How a car is powered and child poverty certainly wasn't on my anti EV bingo card.

EVs will be cheaper to maintain and more reliable so if anything will help struggling families who need a car but can barely afford to run one. Sure, maybe not today or tomorrow but certainly once EVs are in the majority - which obviously is going to happen whether you like it or not.
I still think we should not be buzzing around in lots of small individual vehicles. Public transport anybody ?.
 

stuu

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2011
Messages
3,774
Not even close! Electric cars for all? Behave yourselves, we still have 30% of children growing up in poverty in this country. And we’re talking about swanning about in washing machine motors. Beggars belief
What does that specifically have to do with electric cars? Is there some link that I'm unaware of? Are electric cars in some way worse than e.g. Gucci bags or something?
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,946
Location
UK
I still think we should not be buzzing around in lots of small individual vehicles. Public transport anybody ?.

For sure. While I can't see myself unable to go without a car entirely, we only do around 5,000 miles per year and use public transport (or walking, cycling) wherever possible.

I don't think we can get everyone to give up their cars entirely, as not everyone will live in environments where public transport is plentiful (or even taxis) but we seek to get people to use the right tool for the job, and by making public transport or cycling more available and appealing, people won't drive as much.

Indeed, they can then earn money from their cars being used as home batteries when not being driven!
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,770
Location
Croydon
For sure. While I can't see myself unable to go without a car entirely, we only do around 5,000 miles per year and use public transport (or walking, cycling) wherever possible.

I don't think we can get everyone to give up their cars entirely, as not everyone will live in environments where public transport is plentiful (or even taxis) but we seek to get people to use the right tool for the job, and by making public transport or cycling more available and appealing, people won't drive as much.

Indeed, they can then earn money from their cars being used as home batteries when not being driven!
The only thing I worry about there is that once someone owns a car they are going to be very tempted to use the car for journeys where a car was not necessary.

Worse still if they have invested in an expensive (as in brand new) EV there will be less inclined to use public transport as it does not reduce the depreciation cost part of ownership. At least with an old ICE I do not have to consider the depreciation. Time will tell whether there will be a plentiful supply of almost fully depreciated EVs for the light user (or poor) market.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,946
Location
UK
The only thing I worry about there is that once someone owns a car they are going to be very tempted to use the car for journeys where a car was not necessary.

Worse still if they have invested in an expensive (as in brand new) EV there will be less inclined to use public transport as it does not reduce the depreciation cost part of ownership. At least with an old ICE I do not have to consider the depreciation. Time will tell whether there will be a plentiful supply of almost fully depreciated EVs for the light user (or poor) market.

I haven't been tempted to drive more just because I have the car, but I'm sure some people do. Sunk costs and all that.

We will soon* have many EVs for £1000 or even less, and in due course a lot more than just old Nissan Leafs to choose from.

* Next 2-3 years by my own estimation.
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,770
Location
Croydon
I haven't been tempted to drive more just because I have the car, but I'm sure some people do. Sunk costs and all that.

We will soon* have many EVs for £1000 or even less, and in due course a lot more than just old Nissan Leafs to choose from.

* Next 2-3 years by my own estimation.
Fingers crossed, sooner than I thought.
 

trebor79

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2018
Messages
4,912
The only thing I worry about there is that once someone owns a car they are going to be very tempted to use the car for journeys where a car was not necessary.

Worse still if they have invested in an expensive (as in brand new) EV there will be less inclined to use public transport as it does not reduce the depreciation cost part of ownership. At least with an old ICE I do not have to consider the depreciation. Time will tell whether there will be a plentiful supply of almost fully depreciated EVs for the light user (or poor) market.
It's not the depreciation that I think about but the fuel cost. I can drive to London and back for less than a fiver in my EV. In my old 208 that would have cost me about £40 in fuel and another £10 in the kitty for oil and servicing.
Consequently I hardly ever take the train now. Even an off peak ticket is £60 return, fully flexible £110.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,946
Location
UK
Yes, you'd certainly want to look at the total cost of ownership.. and for an old car, you might be seeking the cost of an extended warranty to cover any nasty surprises.

So an ICE car might be a lot cheaper, but it might be due some costly maintenance work (either normal scheduled stuff, or something more serious and unexpected), require expensive routing servicing, not run quite as efficiently as it once did (just like an EV battery degrading by 10-20% before starting to level off), all of which you need to factor in as well as the cost of fuel.

The EV might cost more, but be a relatively safe bet. Sure, check the tyres and suspension etc, but otherwise if the battery is good then you're likely all set for some years of fuss-free motoring. Servicing will be less, you may not need any extra warranty (but the battery might still be covered anyway) and if you can charge at home then 'fuel' might be 10 times cheaper.

Each individual needs to do the maths to work out what works, but I think a more expensive second-hand EV is almost certainly going to be the safer bet.

Now if you're talking about an old car with no fancy electronics and you've got the skills to do your own work on it then, fine, the ICE car might not be a risk at all - but you still have the cost of fuelling it to consider. Electricity is expected to go down in price this year and next, with more time-of-use tariffs coming, plus hundreds more hours of free or negative priced electricity, but I am not sure there's any suggestion that petrol or diesel is going to come down significantly anytime soon.
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,770
Location
Croydon
It's not the depreciation that I think about but the fuel cost. I can drive to London and back for less than a fiver in my EV. In my old 208 that would have cost me about £40 in fuel and another £10 in the kitty for oil and servicing.
Consequently I hardly ever take the train now. Even an off peak ticket is £60 return, fully flexible £110.
+
Yes, you'd certainly want to look at the total cost of ownership.. and for an old car, you might be seeking the cost of an extended warranty to cover any nasty surprises.

So an ICE car might be a lot cheaper, but it might be due some costly maintenance work (either normal scheduled stuff, or something more serious and unexpected), require expensive routing servicing, not run quite as efficiently as it once did (just like an EV battery degrading by 10-20% before starting to level off), all of which you need to factor in as well as the cost of fuel.

The EV might cost more, but be a relatively safe bet. Sure, check the tyres and suspension etc, but otherwise if the battery is good then you're likely all set for some years of fuss-free motoring. Servicing will be less, you may not need any extra warranty (but the battery might still be covered anyway) and if you can charge at home then 'fuel' might be 10 times cheaper.

Each individual needs to do the maths to work out what works, but I think a more expensive second-hand EV is almost certainly going to be the safer bet.

Now if you're talking about an old car with no fancy electronics and you've got the skills to do your own work on it then, fine, the ICE car might not be a risk at all - but you still have the cost of fuelling it to consider. Electricity is expected to go down in price this year and next, with more time-of-use tariffs coming, plus hundreds more hours of free or negative priced electricity, but I am not sure there's any suggestion that petrol or diesel is going to come down significantly anytime soon.
We will have to see how the charging for the use of the UK road network pans out.

Will there be higher charges than now for EVs to use the roads thus encouraging public transport use ?. I suspect there will - the state is hooked on taxes and significantly so.

As it stands a lot more public transport could well be come dead in the water. Whether that is a good thing is a question for another thread.
 

Mawkie

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2016
Messages
1,285
In my opinion the one single thing that would advance the cause of EV adoption would be the reduction of public charging costs.

I note Germany are introducing a "pass through" model for truck charging costs on their soon to be implemented autobahn infrastructure. This allows businesses to use their 'home' electricity tariff when their vehicles are out and about on the motorways, the so called "pass through" tariff. Naturally, there is an added "facility fee" to cover the costs of site development - although I have no idea what that fee could be.

If adapted to personal use vehicles, this pricing model could be a game changer for me, and the millions of others who can't charge at home and don't want to pay 89p per unit outside.

Could it become a reality in the UK?


The tender for the e-fast charging network for e-trucks marks an important step in the further development of the charging infrastructure in Germany. Interested parties can apply until 18 October. For the first time, the so-called pass-through model, which allows users to 'bring' their own electricity supplier to the charging station, will be mandatory
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,770
Location
Croydon
In my opinion the one single thing that would advance the cause of EV adoption would be the reduction of public charging costs.

I note Germany are introducing a "pass through" model for truck charging costs on their soon to be implemented autobahn infrastructure. This allows businesses to use their 'home' electricity tariff when their vehicles are out and about on the motorways, the so called "pass through" tariff. Naturally, there is an added "facility fee" to cover the costs of site development - although I have no idea what that fee could be.

If adapted to personal use vehicles, this pricing model could be a game changer for me, and the millions of others who can't charge at home and don't want to pay 89p per unit outside.

Could it become a reality in the UK?

That is a good step forward. For me also the high cost of public charging acts as a disincentive.
 

johncrossley

Established Member
Joined
30 Mar 2021
Messages
4,455
Location
London
In my opinion the one single thing that would advance the cause of EV adoption would be the reduction of public charging costs.

I note Germany are introducing a "pass through" model for truck charging costs on their soon to be implemented autobahn infrastructure. This allows businesses to use their 'home' electricity tariff when their vehicles are out and about on the motorways, the so called "pass through" tariff. Naturally, there is an added "facility fee" to cover the costs of site development - although I have no idea what that fee could be.

If adapted to personal use vehicles, this pricing model could be a game changer for me, and the millions of others who can't charge at home and don't want to pay 89p per unit outside.

Could it become a reality in the UK?


That sounds like the way fuel cards work. In a similar way, fuel card users don't pay the inflated posted rate at motorway services. The analogy for private users is that they do pay the high prices at motorway services, so they use supermarkets and other cheaper petrol stations instead. Supermarkets already offer free or cheaper charging.
 

Top