It is a myth, however, the astonishing cost savings of petrol over 85p per kWh are undeniable. I would jump tomorrow if I could charge at home for 5p (or even 20p) per kWh.
Zap Map have a handy cost comparison calculator, and I tried to be fair in my selection of (current) petrol Picanto and ev Fiat 500. The inescapable truth is: charging away from home would cost me an additional £471 a year on the 25 miles I do a day. (I acknowledge there are reduced servicing costs etc, but the picanto came with a 3 year service plan anyway).
So it's fine for everyone to say "I don't have a petrol station in my garden", but until the pricing for fast charging comes down significantly, there will be millions of people who can only use public charging that will be reluctant to move to ev.
It's no surprise that companies are seeking to price gouge when it comes to charging, and they see fast charging as a way to make more money as some sort of 'convenience fee'. The fact that many are operated by oil companies who can use electric charging as a way to make petrol and diesel seem less of a rip off can't be a coincidence.
Yes there's a cost to install, but usually you'd seek to pay back those costs over a long period - but it seems that they want to recover the costs in minutes. Plus not all chargers can deliver the crazy fast speeds (yet do you get a discount when there's load balancing taking place?).
In the future, I do hope competition will sort things out and we will also see more Tesla like pricing that charges different rates at different times, given wholesale rates for electricity during the night can be almost free (or more likely nearer 2-3p) so why pay the same as charging at 5 or 6pm?
The best thing is that there's not really any way for the Government to impose surcharges on the cost of electricity to charge a car at home, although people do seem to believe fake stories about what smart meters can and will do in the future. For now, a smart meter is dumb unless you opt in to a tariff that can offer timed rates, like Octopus Agile or Tracker, and not having a smart meter is actually costing most people a LOT of money. My bills are now 30% cheaper on Octopus Tracker, although the discounts are reducing in the summer (especially with the new price cap).
Now we're getting £20k cars with a decent range, reasonable charging speeds, and likely extremely low servicing costs, I think more people are going to take the plunge. While I have a love of driving, I simply don't do enough to warrant buying a big EV with a huge range, or loads of performance. I need a vehicle that can do maybe 100 miles PER WEEK. The e-c3 looks to me to be ideal, as I think the Dacia Spring is perhaps a little too low-spec for my needs (but ideal for a second car).