In my case I moved 200 miles away from my family so that I could have a job. Others will not want/be able to do similar - but if you have no proper income then your life will suffer anyway.
Anyone who is a realist will not wait for work to arrive in the Teesside area.
214 miles door to door for me and I hate it. I want to work at home, I hate the south, I hate southerners and I hate the housing prices but there are no jobs at home. If i had a family at the time could I have moved south easily? No, not easily, for the simple fact that they couldn't be accommodated with me.
I am sure those who can move will move and quickly, accelerating the skills and "brain" drain in an already declingin area. Many, however wont be able to, they have families to consider, houses to pay for etc. Even if you sold your house in Redcar and moved south your would never be able to afford a similar property to house your family.
The real world often doesn't let you up sticks and move at the drop of a hat.
I know mine won't be a popular opinion here - but the closure of Redcar has been 4 years in the making, ever since Tata sold it.
In the wake of the sale in 2011, I was at Tata Rotherham on a site visit with university - the opinion of staff there at the time (including some who had been at Redcar) was surprise that somebody had actually bought it, and a prediction that things wouldn't last unless Redcar "upvalued" it's products.
The fact is that the UK is not an attractive place to be producing Steel - even taking the cheap labour of the Far East out of the equation. Llanwern hot strip mill was mothballed because the cost of electicity is significantly higher here than in France (and because Tata had too much production capacity).
Don't get me wrong - it's a real shame that this has happened, but there's no point asking the government to step in with funds, as all that will do is delay the inevitable.
So your solution is tough cheese, be on your way and don't let the door hit you on the way out?
I am not sure anyone is realistically suggesting that the government buy the steel works just to keep it open, although i wonder if that might cost less than years of benefits!
My charge is:
a) They didn't do enough to keep the works open when they had the chance.
b) That they aren't doing enough to help with finding employment and retraining for people who have lost their jobs
c) They don't have a plan for regeneration of the whole area, or even a desire to find one.
I have often wondered if that is the case.I am thinking, for now, of the "mining communities" of South Yorkshire. To an outsider, it looks as if, whenever any replacement industry has been suggested or tried, there has been a reaction of "We are a mining community - we want our mines back". This is understandable in individuals. But, for me, the real failures are the civic leaders, elected representatives, who seem to encourage this impossible dream, rather than leading the communities out of the morass.
I agree - the problem is that the replacement industries are often nothing of the sort, offer poorer terms, poorer wages and less security
IF any regeneration is even attempted. The government should by now have sensible regeneration plans for the majority of our former industrial areas. The sad fact is they don't, and i don't think they care.
The other issue, and one the Tory party seem to excel at, is the destruction of communities, especially in the north east and other former industrial areas. One of my big concerns here is the damage to the fabric of the community. With the steel works gone the community has lost some of its strength and focus and will quickly lose its skilled workers and their wages leading to less economic vitality in the area.
Very quickly you go from a situation where families and communities are bound by a shared value system developed in local communities and through working for a certain industry to something more fluid. This leads to a breakdown of "Conservative" values - the importance of work, a work ethic, pride in the community, a pride in doing a hard, demanding job and a pride in the area and industrial heritage that brings and a feeling of belonging.
Once that starts to go the social glue holding places together starts to weaken and the quality of the area declines rapidly, gathering pace in a downward spiral until more criminal elements begin to move in taking advantage of the increased social deprivation to sell their wares.