• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tyne & Wear Metro: Fleet Refurbishment List

Status
Not open for further replies.

danpick

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2014
Messages
74
Location
Brockley Whins
If anyone is interested 4083 and 4040 were paired up today on the South Gosforth terminating service today at approximately 16.45

They're together again today on 148. Does anyone know what they'll do later.
145 might of been extended to Airport but it could be a case of the wrong code being entered.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Does anyone have a bit more information as to why Central is running hugely behind time and I assume above budget? I read somewhere that it was due to the walls being in a worse condition than anticipated. Is this another dodgy doing by Tolent, who have a track record of being behind time and above budget, or the fault of Nexus.

Also, I heard a driver discussing the FASI system the other day and that the system was 'actually working' on that unit: has there been reliability issues with these computers?
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,185
Does anyone have a bit more information as to why Central is running hugely behind time and I assume above budget? I read somewhere that it was due to the walls being in a worse condition than anticipated. Is this another dodgy doing by Tolent, who have a track record of being behind time and above budget, or the fault of Nexus.

From what I know (and don't take this as fact) the levels of asbestos were a lot higher than they thought and that required dealing with.

Mind, I do remember they had completely bodged the plastic ceiling stuff, it was angled, pushing into the cabling at one end, and crumpled at the other. I emailed Nexus to report it and two months on it hadn't been sorted. I've not gotten on at Central Station lately so haven't been able to see if it's been sorted yet (platform 2, just as you enter the platform by the top exit).

I'd imagine Nexus would have pretty large penalties in place for jobs not going right but it I'd guess depends on whether they assessed it properly or not.
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
From what I know (and don't take this as fact) the levels of asbestos were a lot higher than they thought and that required dealing with.

Mind, I do remember they had completely bodged the plastic ceiling stuff, it was angled, pushing into the cabling at one end, and crumpled at the other. I emailed Nexus to report it and two months on it hadn't been sorted. I've not gotten on at Central Station lately so haven't been able to see if it's been sorted yet (platform 2, just as you enter the platform by the top exit).

I'd imagine Nexus would have pretty large penalties in place for jobs not going right but it I'd guess depends on whether they assessed it properly or not.

Cheers! I thought it looked a bit unusual on P2; If I'm honest, I think the full thing looks dreadfully cheap. Also, the lighting is now on in the station, assisted by some of the temporary work lights. These lights seem very dim indeed and if there isn't any extra support from ceiling lights, I can imagine the station won't be too bright!
 

Scott M

Member
Joined
14 Aug 2014
Messages
398
If I'm honest, I think the full thing looks dreadfully cheap.

Problem is we aren't London so we aren't going to get opulence. A functional, acceptable looking system is the aim.

Public services by and large aim to not stand out for being bad, rather than to stand out for being good.
 
Last edited:

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Problem is we aren't London so we aren't going to get opulence. A functional, acceptable looking system is the aim.

Public services by and large aim to not stand out for being bad, rather than to stand out for being good.

I'd like to distinguish between cheap and functional/improving. As described the project is over time, has some issues in terms of structural design and lighting; not things that we should be happy with. Haymarket esque refurbishments are obviously not on the cards, but a functioning and on time refurbishment really should be.

Other examples of Nexus on the cheap (albeit not their fault): Refurbishments where the MetoCars were not improved, ran out of money & came back making awful rattling metalic noises. Stations where Everything bar St James - North Shields and Haymarket. The paint is peeling off at most stops!

This said, the original plans did look okay: lets see what the end deal actually is, as I may be eating my hat over that one!
 
Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,645
Location
Isle of Man
If I'm honest, I think the full thing looks dreadfully cheap. Also, the lighting is now on in the station, assisted by some of the temporary work lights.

The ceiling panels haven't been installed yet, just the panels that curve between the ceiling and the wall. I'd fully expect ceiling lights to be installed roughly where the temporary lights are. The lights against the wall are pretty bright LEDs but obviously wouldn't work by themselves. I'd expect them to be an addition to- getting rid of shadows- rather than a replacement for the ceiling lights. I'd expect it to be much brighter than it was before.

I don't see how you can criticise it before it is finished.

The stations need to be clean and functional. There's no need to spuff millions up the wall like they did with Haymarket, where most of the office space is still empty ten years after the refurbishment...
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
The ceiling panels haven't been installed yet, just the panels that curve between the ceiling and the wall. I'd fully expect ceiling lights to be installed roughly where the temporary lights are. The lights against the wall are pretty bright LEDs but obviously wouldn't work by themselves. I'd expect them to be an addition to- getting rid of shadows- rather than a replacement for the ceiling lights. I'd expect it to be much brighter than it was before.

I don't see how you can criticise it before it is finished.

The stations need to be clean and functional. There's no need to spuff millions up the wall like they did with Haymarket, where most of the office space is still empty ten years after the refurbishment...

Fair enough. As I said we will have to wait and see. Wasn't the building at Haymarket funded by an external source, thus they must be the main one loosing out?
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
Also, I heard a driver discussing the FASI system the other day and that the system was 'actually working' on that unit: has there been reliability issues with these computers?

There are always issues with the system, but the recent one has been the fact that some do not have the updated timetables loaded for the possession between Benton and Monkseaton, so paper timetables have to be used instead of the electronic one.
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,185
Also, the lighting is now on in the station, assisted by some of the temporary work lights. These lights seem very dim indeed and if there isn't any extra support from ceiling lights, I can imagine the station won't be too bright!

They will have two rows of lighting at the wall and the platform edge. I'd guess they could also do with being cleaned once the work is done to help brighten them. They may also still have plastic coverings.


Small side note but 4019 (currently paired with 4045) has the female announcements. Must admit I definitely prefer the male ones even if he does just say 'Central'
 

danpick

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2014
Messages
74
Location
Brockley Whins
They will have two rows of lighting at the wall and the platform edge. I'd guess they could also do with being cleaned once the work is done to help brighten them. They may also still have plastic coverings.


Small side note but 4019 (currently paired with 4045) has the female announcements. Must admit I definitely prefer the male ones even if he does just say 'Central'

4081 also has them.
 

Scott M

Member
Joined
14 Aug 2014
Messages
398
I'd like to distinguish between cheap and functional/improving. As described the project is over time, has some issues in terms of structural design and lighting; not things that we should be happy with. Haymarket esque refurbishments are obviously not on the cards, but a functioning and on time refurbishment really should be.

Other examples of Nexus on the cheap (albeit not their fault): Refurbishments where the MetoCars were not improved, ran out of money & came back making awful rattling metalic noises. Stations where Everything bar St James - North Shields and Haymarket. The paint is peeling off at most stops!

This said, the original plans did look okay: lets see what the end deal actually is, as I may be eating my hat over that one!

I see your point, but I think we should wait to see the final article as you say. The trains weren't ideally done but the refurb was never going to be with them just being a stop gap for the new sets (not an excuse mind :p). Was on one today that was making quite a worrying rattling noise.

I wasn't aware of paint peeling but will keep my eyes out. Be worrying if it is already peeling, as they weren't painted that long ago relatively speaking!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There some new drivers out and about? Was on a metro the other day where it was being very harshly handled - one passenger commented that they thought the driver must be drunk. Makes you appreciate how much of a fine, time honed skill it must be to drive as smoothly as most of the drivers do.

I think it's just the little things that add up to a smooth ride, like knowing your brake distances to a tee to avoid harshly jerking the brake on and off, waiting until you are clear of the bridge to accelerate when going from pelaw to Hebburn, to avoid accelerating while going down that already rollercoaster-like hill. All things that come with experience I imagine. :)
 
Last edited:

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
There some new drivers out and about? Was on a metro the other day where it was being very harshly handled - one passenger commented that they thought the driver must be drunk. Makes you appreciate how much of a fine, time honed skill it must be to drive as smoothly as most of the drivers do.

I think it's just the little things that add up to a smooth ride, like knowing your brake distances to a tee to avoid harshly jerking the brake on and off, waiting until you are clear of the bridge to accelerate when going from pelaw to Hebburn, to avoid accelerating while going down that already rollercoaster-like hill. All things that come with experience I imagine. :)

I think a lot of people on the Metro do like to play backseat driver. The ride experience can often be down to a few things. If a driver is tight on time, they are more likely to be using harsh braking and quick acceleration, thus some would deem this as a bad drive. Furthering that, some units have snatching braking systems which can make the ride feel less comfortable; isn't 4027 quite bad for that?

I for one don't really care about how the driving is perceived, although DB cut down the hours required in training to become a driver, they all know what they are doing and if the speed-board says 80kmh, they are well within their right to hit that, even if the poor track quality makes it feel like a rollercoaster. The timetable must be kept ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Looks like 4040 has been in for a paint!
 
Last edited:

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
I don't think it has, I'm sure it was still in the Emirates colours when I saw it with 4002 this afternoon.

It was out on the short works with 4001 this evening and appears to have been been given a new Emirates livery.

Is 4002 back out now?

It was stabled alone at the depot when I passed today, so I don't think so. Although not 100%.
 
Last edited:

Paul_10

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
952
It was out on the short works with 4001 this evening and appears to have been been given a new Emirates livery.



It was stabled alone at the depot when I passed today, so I don't think so. Although not 100%.

Is it possible that 4040 may have the vinyl removed from the windows like 4083 has given the impression it got a new livery?
 

MetroCar4058

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2014
Messages
588
Is it possible that 4040 may have the vinyl removed from the windows like 4083 has given the impression it got a new livery?

Perhaps, I knew I should have taken that photo! I'll have to have a more in depth look next time I see 4040, although one thing is for sure, it was looking very shiny! I wonder why they took the vinyl off the Windows? I saw that there were a few complaints about making people feel dizzy.
 
Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,645
Location
Isle of Man
I'm on it as we speak. It doesn't look like new paint, and if it is, they've missed the rust around the door buttons :lol:

Still got contravision on the Windows too :(
 

Paul_10

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
952
Perhaps, I knew I should have taken that photo! I'll have to have a more in depth look next time I see 4040, although one thing is for sure, it was looking very shiny! I wonder why they took the vinyl off the Windows? I saw that there were a few complaints about making people feel dizzy.

I was aware that before its long absence from service, 4083 suffered a minor graffiti attack which unfortunately ruined the vinyl on the windows so I would assume that could be the reason why?

Sounds like 4040 is still in the same livery as before. I must add, the front end of 4040 still looks rather neat considering it has not been repainted since 2003 when it received the Cut your CO2 livery.

Anymore updates on 4077? Starting to wonder whether the electrical damage is beyond repair and whether it will actually ever return to service.
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,185
Sounds like 4040 is still in the same livery as before. I must add, the front end of 4040 still looks rather neat considering it has not been repainted since 2003 when it received the Cut your CO2 livery.

The front end of 4040 will have definitely been repainted and probably on a few occasions.


Just a small side note, but for the GNR does anyone know if it's true that the Battery Locos will be stabled at Pelaw and there will be engineers at certain points along the system to ensure any faults are rectified quickly?
 

Tramfan

Member
Joined
19 Mar 2011
Messages
679
Location
.
Anymore updates on 4077? Starting to wonder whether the electrical damage is beyond repair and whether it will actually ever return to service.

I've seen 4077 being shunted around the depot for the first time in many months in the last few days, the first occasion it was missing some door buttons, but when I saw it yesterday they'd been refitted, so I assume progress is being made on it.
 

Paul_10

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
952
The front end of 4040 will have definitely been repainted and probably on a few occasions.

Nope, the front end has not been repainted since 2003 when it recieved the CO2 livery back in 2003, it was never repainted when it received the current Emirates Livery.

I've seen 4077 being shunted around the depot for the first time in many months in the last few days, the first occasion it was missing some door buttons, but when I saw it yesterday they'd been refitted, so I assume progress is being made on it.

That sounds a bit more encouraging so at least its a sign that it might actually return to service...One day.
 

WatcherZero

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2010
Messages
10,272
Been a power surge on the Metro today leaving people stranded in trains and starting several fires.
 

ModernRailways

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2011
Messages
2,185
Been a power surge on the Metro today leaving people stranded in trains and starting several fires.

Service is coming back - South Gosforth to Shiremoor is the only section out now. Limited Service however for rest of day.

I've heard reports of smoke. But no fires.


EDIT* There was apparently a small fire at South Gosforth.
 
Last edited:

Paul_10

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
952
Service is coming back - South Gosforth to Shiremoor is the only section out now. Limited Service however for rest of day.

I've heard reports of smoke. But no fires.


EDIT* There was apparently a small fire at South Gosforth.

Apparently there was a 'fire' as a train left Monument but I suspect going by the reports, there was severe arcing coming from the pantograph and any fire would be quite minimal as no doubt if there was, the carriage would be filling up with smoke and any evacuations would take place much sooner than 40 mins, does sound like quite a scary experience though.

Goes to show though, anything can happen at any point when it comes to electricity, i wonder if any other trains that got stranded suffered arcing when the power overloaded? If so, could there be quite a few trains very well have damaged pantographs which could lead to temporarily a shortage of trains for peak services?
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,645
Location
Isle of Man
The reports sound like arcing, but suggestions are it took almost two hours for people to be evacuated from the train stranded in the tunnel, with nobody knowing what was going on. That's absolutely disgusting.

I see the useless and incompetent DB Regio have learned nothing from First Capital Connect's troubles at Kentish Town. They should consider themselves lucky that people didn't decide to de-train by themselves.

I also love the way they removed ticket acceptance on local buses yesterday before the 900 was actually up and running properly. That was proper genius that was, like.

Still, at least it happened in the school holidays, the 900 seemed to be running ok this morning (although not the Metro- I had a 25 minute wait at Shiremoor).
 

Paul_10

Member
Joined
24 Feb 2011
Messages
952
The reports sound like arcing, but suggestions are it took almost two hours for people to be evacuated from the train stranded in the tunnel, with nobody knowing what was going on. That's absolutely disgusting.

I see the useless and incompetent DB Regio have learned nothing from First Capital Connect's troubles at Kentish Town. They should consider themselves lucky that people didn't decide to de-train by themselves.

I also love the way they removed ticket acceptance on local buses yesterday before the 900 was actually up and running properly. That was proper genius that was, like.

Still, at least it happened in the school holidays, the 900 seemed to be running ok this morning (although not the Metro- I had a 25 minute wait at Shiremoor).

Its funny how contradictory these reports can be with some suggesting they were rescued within 40 mins to an hour and then you read about upto 2 hours.

Not too convinced whether the whole operation would of took upto 2 hours but it seems the passengers were escorted via the drivers cab rather than the doors so by the time everyone got off with some passengers potentially having buggies/suitcases etc then it would of took some time really.

Also surely there would of been at least one more train going through the city centre tunnels at that point yet all the reports seem to come from this one train so I wonder if there will be some sort of investigation why arcing occured on this train and seemingly not any others that got stranded?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top