Movement of the point switch blades as the bogie moved over it is probably the likely explanation as it was going into the sidings rather than going onto the mainline.
Is this an error that could occur with a train in passenger service?
Unless there was a defect with the track, it mainly would only happen if the points moved when the train was going across them.
It's a bit worrying that points would move as a train goes over them.
This occurs so rarely that one should not worry about it. The last passenger service in the UK that I can recall effected by this issue was Potters Bar in 2002. Like anything, there can be faults. Its nothing to be concerned about and a small incident regarding a tamping machine during the night is simply not a cause for concern from a revenue service perspective.
Just a quick note also, 4001 was out on short runs today (138 I believe) instead of the usual full service!
So we weren't just lucky that it wasn't a passenger service involved?
I'm not really the expert on this, but no. If what I have read is correct, the incident was in the Hylton Yard and something would be drastically wrong if a passenger service was in there![]()
True but could it suggest lax maintenance of tracks?
The added bonus is the door tones button which can speed things up on the platform during rush hour.
How does having the hustle alarm on a separate button save time out of interest? The buzzer and recorded message are about as long as the 3-second hustle alarm on the refitted sets.
As an aside, I've noticed a few drivers of these sets sound the alarm at the exact same time the doors are closing, if at all. Or failing that, there seems to be a tendency to allow as little as half a second between starting the alarm and closing the doors.
May not be too long before this results in an issue of some sort.
I also got to say I'm not keen on the white panels on the tunnel walls at Central, they are unlikely to stay clean for long and no doubt if any Graffiti attacks happens, then any marks will be quite noticeable. I also wonder if those TV monitors to display the next trains will be installed like at Haymarket as it would seem like the current orange dot matrix boards could well remain seeing as it looks like most of the background re-wiring looks nearly all but done. Do hope they remain though, they are much better than those TV monitors at Haymarket imo.
The hustle alarm could be used and would (as it's name suggests) hustle people into the train. This can mean the driver can sound the hustle alarm and then arm the doors 5 seconds later, or sound the hustle alarm, people hurry, driver sounds hustle alarm again and then arms the doors. When you hear the doors closing (or beeps) people hurry into the train quicker.
A lot of drivers will simply forget to sound the hustle alarm, or are used to pressing the one button. The doors are also slower to close and arm so a lot of drivers will do both at once.
Shouldn't result in any 'incidents', but I'm sure someone will find some way.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The white panels you could say the same for Haymarket. Haymarket seems to be doing fine, however it depends on whether they're made the same and looked after. There has been a graffiti attack recently on the Metrocars with a couple of cars attacked.
I imagine those TV monitors could be last. But I'm unsure as to what the plans are for Central Station and information boards. I'm intrigued as to what they're going to do there as they did say next train monitors would be installed at the top of the escalators too.
As said, 4001/40 are back paired together, was a bit dissapointed 4083 was off the system again as I was hoping to catch it. 4001 was paired with 4002 outside one of the stabling roads with 02 pantograph down before it got paired with 40. Now today, i noted 4083 is on one of the stabling roads next to 4002 and it has now got its pantograph down.
I wonder if 142094 can confirm if 4077 has been fixed as I thought I seen it paired with 4086 but sadly when I saw 86 the next day, it was paired with 4081 and I knew that was changed overnight as 4081 was paired with 4043 the previous day.
Is there a list of dates of when every Metrocar was refurbished?
It's very nice to see 4083 and 4040 out together today!
Its nice to see 4083 anyway, does anyone know if it has male or female announcements.
Male I believe. Only one unit now has the female announcements; which is always a nice surprise.
4019 I believe.
Indeed it is. Just keeping it quiet encase they are looking![]()
![]()