So there’s a fair few extensions that could happen on the Tyne and Wear Metro. If the one along the Leamside route to Washington happens, where would it go once through Newcastle?
Open to all suggestions. I was thinking that it could perhaps be a coast express service, running limited stop from South Gosforth to Monkseaton or wherever there is/was a bay on the northern part of the circular route, with the yellow line being simplified to being South Shields to Monkseaton (slow). There’d also be a St James to North Shields slow service, meaning the service from Washington that went fast to Monkseaton can then run limited stop to St James. If not, a new branch would be an exciting new venture for the Washington service.Around the coast loop or to the airport I would have thought, unless you mean could a further extension be built?
The Leamside line surely can't be suitable for metro operation? There are such unsuitable distances between potential stops that a faster heavy rail service would be better for.
I think the only area that could justify a new metro route would be the West end of Newcastle, but I'm not sure if a suburb could justify tunnelling that is usually only done in city centres. It's bad enough that the current east-west Newcastle tunnel only gets 5 tph.
The Leamside line surely can't be suitable for metro operation? There are such unsuitable distances between potential stops that a faster heavy rail service would be better for. I don't think Cobalt and Silverlink would provide the numbers needed for those places to be served either.
Maybe a branch from Benton to Quorum, Killingworth, Dudley and Cramlington alongside the ECML would be justified. But that might put too many metros on the core line from South Gosforth to Pelaw with no chance of grade separation at either end. Plus the ECML really should be providing local services for those places and a much faster link to Newcastle.
Maybe if the St James tunnel could be extended after a sharp turn under St James boulevard to link up with the Scotswood branch and then cross the Tyne with the line splitting to reach the Metrocentre and Dunston & Team Valley that could work. The Metrocentre link could possibly even be extended to Blaydon or even back across the Tyne to some of those estates outside of the A1 which still appear to have intact former railway alignments.
Also, if the airport station was on a slightly different alignment, a short extension to Ponteland would have been pretty easy.
I believe whenever the Leamside line is brought up in reference to Metro extensions it's only ever been to get as far as Washington. Beyond that the population falls of a cliff and the distances get quite long.
The West End would be good but I think the infrastructure requirements will always be prohibitive.
A small part of Washington doesn't seem worthwhile for that distance as well as the capacity demands on the central core and creating a three way flat crossing at Pelaw.
Team Valley is the one I’d most like to see, then the Metrocentre. They’re both large economic hubs with no or poor rail links respectively. The West End would be good but I think the infrastructure requirements will always be prohibitive.
Beyond those I’m not sure what else is required; some places (such as Leamside as you’ve pointed out) are better served by heavy rail so I’d like to see some further lines and stations reopened where possible.
The North East Transport Plan envisages, first, a direct coast to Airport service
They need to expand the depot avoiding line at South Gosforth first (which will likely be done when the depot is rebuilt, or at least with passive provision).They could do that now in theory. The issue is you need more trains to run it otherwise you’d have to cut services through the core which wouldn’t go down very well.
I don't imagine the service would be 6tph, like the rest of the network, but clearly Nexus feel it would be a useful addition, I think especially for passengers from SE Northumberland. It'd also be significantly cheaper than rebuilding South Gosforth (though the extra trains required might offset that).Is there any need for such a Newcastle avoiding service? I wonder if they could achieve similar levels of connectivity by rebuilding South Gosforth station into a single island platform for cross platform interchange?
They need to expand the depot avoiding line at South Gosforth first (which will likely be done when the depot is rebuilt, or at least with passive provision).
I don't imagine the service would be 6tph, like the rest of the network, but clearly Nexus feel it would be a useful addition, I think especially for passengers from SE Northumberland. It'd also be significantly cheaper than rebuilding South Gosforth (though the extra trains required might offset that).
Yep, should have elaborated on my point - it's just a single track and probably isn't in great condition either. I don't think Nexus would want to introduce a section of single track that would have the potential to delay services across the network. However, as you say, I think the 'deal breaker' idea is very much the impetus behind the project.Fair enough, I can’t say I’m in the know when it comes to the depot avoiding line to be honest, I just know one exists. Is it just a single track?
I don't imagine the service would be 6tph, like the rest of the network, but clearly Nexus feel it would be a useful addition, I think especially for passengers from SE Northumberland. It'd also be significantly cheaper than rebuilding South Gosforth (though the extra trains required might offset that).
It just seems like an effort to use spare capacity on the branches. From what I'm aware of, the airport's connectivity problems are that the metro doesn't run early enough for its peak rush in the early morning. So maybe it would be better if they focused on running trains earlier in the morning?
I wonder if the airport still has the desire for heavy rail services via a reinstated left Benton curve? Which I believe they own the land for.