• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tube driver filming himself whilst driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intermodal

Established Member
Joined
3 Nov 2010
Messages
1,306
Location
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
From I can see and I have said before, there is no safety issues as he's focused on the job, in fact it's useful to run a commentary to yourself so you can note danger or signals on the journey.
I don’t want to rehash the arguments in the previous five posts, but it seems pretty clear to me that people who are much more qualified to make this decision than either of us have taken a different view.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Vespa

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2019
Messages
1,733
Location
Merseyside
I don’t want to rehash the arguments in the previous five posts, but it seems pretty clear to me that people who are much more qualified to make this decision than either of us have taken a different view.
I don't think many Tfl manager are qualified drivers themselves.
 

Goldfish62

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Feb 2010
Messages
13,219
From I can see and I have said before, there is no safety issues as he's focused on the job, in fact it's useful to run a commentary to yourself so you can note danger or signals on the journey.

Very much like the Japanese "Shisa Kanko" pointing and calling out signals and points.

I do it sometimes to talk myself through complicated routes.
I've just finished reading an article in Modern Railways about the Peterbrough speeding incidents and it mentioned about the training technique that actively encourages drivers to point out aloud potential upcoming hazards. There was a driver in one of Don Coffey's excellent videos employing this technique. It's similar to Japanese drivers pointing to and acknowledging every signal.

And before anyone starts; yes, Don Coffey does have formal permission for his videos.
 

Vespa

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2019
Messages
1,733
Location
Merseyside
Your experience in train driving is, as you have previously said, limited to a preserved line driving experience. Not main line.


Correct and I applied the "Shisa Kanko" to it which made it a better experience overall with very few mistakes made, 37, 50, 142 and 73 have different characteristics from each other, they weren't short trips either they were several return trips all day including the use of AWS, the principle remains the same it helped you focus on the job more without distractions.

I can understand more about where Dale is coming from, he's unconsciously applying "Shisa Kanko" without realizing it, the Tfl have made a big mistake in my opinion as this would be a good recruitment tool for potential tube drivers.
 
Last edited:

Intermodal

Established Member
Joined
3 Nov 2010
Messages
1,306
Location
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
Correct and I applied the "Shisa Kanko" to it which made it a better experience overall with very few mistakes made, 37, 50, 142 and 73 have different characteristics from each other, they weren't short trips either they were several return trips all day including the use of AWS, the principle remains the same it helped you focus on the job more without distractions.

I can understand more about where Dale is coming from, he's unconsciously applying "Shisa Kanko" without realizing it, the Tfl have made a big mistake in my opinion as this would be a good recruitment tool for potential tube drivers.
Take a step back my friend. You’re lecturing main line train drivers on the safest way to drive based on what you learnt on a preserved railway paid experience.
 
Joined
31 Dec 2019
Messages
995
Location
uk
I can understand more about where Dale is coming from, he's unconsciously applying "Shisa Kanko" without realizing it, the Tfl have made a big mistake in my opinion as this would be a good recruitment tool for potential tube drivers.
Two points. Firstly, and most importantly, you can do risk based commentary without recording it let alone uploading it YouTube. Secondly, it only takes a few videos to see him playing with the camera whilst operating a train.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,550
Location
LBK
I've been enjoying these videos too, it's a shame it's been stopped.

One thing I noticed in the comments was someone saying they're going to contact TFL to complain, but Dale asked them not to - I guess in case it makes it worse.

I can't copy and paste from the YouTube app, but screenshot below.

View attachment 168427
Not sure yet if the existing videos will be removed either.

There's a statement from TFL online apparently, will see if I can find it.

Edit - struggling to find it, but have screenshot what was said on YouTube comments (on the video mentioned above) - BUT obviously can't guarantee it's accuracy.
View attachment 168428
View attachment 168429
I blame Kay Bosch personally.
 

Vespa

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2019
Messages
1,733
Location
Merseyside
Take a step back my friend. You’re lecturing main line train drivers on the safest way to drive based on what you learnt on a preserved railway paid experience.

Whether you work on the railways or just an armchair enthusiast who has never touched an AWS is neither here or there.

Either way my point still stands, Dale is a fully qualified LU driver, he knows more about safety rules on the LU more than you and me, why else would a manager give him permission? It's more a case of buzz kills who don't like something they can't control.

Argue with the subject not the person.
 

Intermodal

Established Member
Joined
3 Nov 2010
Messages
1,306
Location
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
Either way my point still stands, Dale is a fully qualified LU driver, he knows more about safety rules on the LU more than you and me, why else would a manager give him permission? It's more a case of buzz kills who don't like something they can't control.
So any driver should be able to set company wide policy because they know best about how to drive? Argument doesn’t really follow, does it….
 

stuart81

Member
Joined
9 Oct 2015
Messages
133
Location
Ipswich
On the other hand, take a moment to consider that the reply TfL gave indicates that, at some level, someone has authorised tube drivers to film in cabs without ever giving any consideration to whether it might affect the safety of passengers. Let that mull around in your head. I find it quite astounding, honestly.
How do you know they didn't give consideration? Seems like authorisation was at a local level and this directive is from higher up presumably after people have stirred things with TFL?
 

Trainfan2019

Member
Joined
9 Aug 2019
Messages
530
I've watched a lot of Dale's underground videos and really enjoyed them through the past few months.

He seems a very safety and security aware driver. His videos give an excellent insight into driving on the underground and yes, it would be great to see more footage of the things that the general public don't usually see. However, I fully accept and understand that he is not allowed to film certain areas.
 

Intermodal

Established Member
Joined
3 Nov 2010
Messages
1,306
Location
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
How do you know they didn't give consideration? Seems like authorisation was at a local level and this directive is from higher up presumably after people have stirred things with TFL?
Because 'giving consideration' in a railway environment would mean risk assessing it. TfL state that no risk assessment exists, so therefore it hasn't been given consideration.
 

Vespa

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2019
Messages
1,733
Location
Merseyside
Two points. Firstly, and most importantly, you can do risk based commentary without recording it let alone uploading it YouTube. Secondly, it only takes a few videos to see him playing with the camera whilst operating a train.
The trains were stationary I believe.
 

thomalex

Member
Joined
25 Aug 2021
Messages
532
Location
Leeds
To me the issue was this was a side hustle while he was working and being paid on company time as a driver. The videos were monetised and had a lot of views so no doubt he was bringing in a fair sum for these videos. If he wants to host and record videos on the tube in his own time that's no problem but while you're on the clock it's not on really. And understandably this has brought about some animosity among other drivers like the FOI request mentioned in an earlier post, never mind if there was some incident and it was then disclosed this driver was hosting a video at the time and TfL were happy for him to do it. Clearly is best of everyone if there is a blanket ban on this.
 

Mawkie

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2016
Messages
1,281
The videos were monetised and had a lot of views so no doubt he was bringing in a fair sum for these videos. If he wants to host and record videos on the tube in his own time that's no problem but while you're on the clock it's not on really.
Not quite true, that was the reason Tube Girl made headlines earlier this month.

TikTok star Sabrina Bahsoon, known to many as ‘Tube Girl’, was warned earlier this year by Transport for London (TfL) about filming ‘commercial’ videos on their property, the Standard can reveal. A TfL spokesman said: “We're pleased that some customers enjoy our services so much that they are moved to share their experiences via social media, but when this stops being personal videos, and becomes an organised commercial endeavour, we understandably need to ensure it is done properly and agree commercial terms. “This helps ensure filming is safe, protects our intellectual property and provides revenue that is reinvested in the transport network for the benefit of everyone. We contacted Sabrina Bahsoon’s agent earlier this year to explore the possibilities.”
 

thomalex

Member
Joined
25 Aug 2021
Messages
532
Location
Leeds
Not quite true, that was the reason Tube Girl made headlines earlier this month.

Which seems acceptable to me, I know if I just starting filming around tube station I'd be asked what I was up to.

My point was even if it's perfectly safe, the concept of someone earning money on a separate interest while being paid on company time, and that interest being enabled by the job he's being paid for, is in my eyes quite dubious. If he wants to do it in his own time, and even if he wants to join someone in the cab and film if TfL were happy with it, that would be perfectly fine.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,550
Location
LBK
Why do you believe that? He has a membership program and accepts donations in the comments.
That's interesting - I have a browser extension which usually indicates if a channel is part of the YouTube Partner Program, which says the channel is not monetised. But the presence of Super Thanks means it must be, so you are probably right there.
 

Intermodal

Established Member
Joined
3 Nov 2010
Messages
1,306
Location
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
That's interesting - I have a browser extension which usually indicates if a channel is part of the YouTube Partner Program, which says the channel is not monetised. But the presence of Super Thanks means it must be, so you are probably right there.
The telltale sign in the page source code that used to indicate this was removed by YouTube. There's no longer any way to tell other than the obvious UI elements such as membership, etc.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,550
Location
LBK
The telltale sign in the page source code that used to indicate this was removed by YouTube. There's no longer any way to tell other than the obvious UI elements such as membership, etc.
Are you telling me how to do my job?: :lol:

(But seriously, good catch, and you learn something new every day!)
 

renegademaster

Established Member
Joined
22 Jun 2023
Messages
2,219
Location
Croydon
I thought you needed a very large viewing base before you actually started making a meaningful amount off YouTube
 

Intermodal

Established Member
Joined
3 Nov 2010
Messages
1,306
Location
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
I thought you needed a very large viewing base before you actually started making a meaningful amount off YouTube
Meaningful is very subjective, and earnings vary wildly by creator and all sorts of factors, but it's quite likely Dale has made a few thousand, and possible (although I'm not sure that it is likely) that it broke into five figures.
 

Lockwood

Established Member
Joined
4 Apr 2013
Messages
1,246
Was Tube Girl the driver that was on Secrets of the London Underground?

The TfL approved TV programme?



That FOI request really did read as a quite pointed question, and almost like the "when did you stop hitting your wife" trap. "Did you allow this extremely dangerous thing that is a security risk and make trains start falling from the sky?" "No" - you have no control over your staff and they can run wild. "Yes" - you support the behaviour being described as extremely negative.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top