• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Worst stations for anti social behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
9 Apr 2016
Messages
1,909
What do you think are the worst stations in the UK for anti social behaviour? For example lots of chavs and yobs hanging around / lots of vandalism / lots of crimes / etc?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
Joined
5 Mar 2012
Messages
20,428
Location
Hertfordshire / Teesdale
What do you think are the worst stations in the UK for anti social behaviour? For example lots of chavs and yobs hanging around / lots of vandalism / lots of crimes / etc?

Hattersley
Ifield
Trafford Park
Humphrey Park
Thorne South
Hatfield & Stainforth
Stevenage
Hatfield
Ore
Brockley Whins
Pelaw
Gateshead Stadium
Felling
Billingham
Alexandria
Craigendoran
Westgate-on-Sea
Redbridge
Lawrence Hill
Stapleton Road
Blackpool Pleasure Beach
Castleford
Normanton
Greenbank
Dovercourt
Weeley
Hythe
Cwmbran
Moston
Mills Hill
Overpool
Virtually every station on the Coastway West from Aldrington to St Denys (inclusive).
 

J-2739

Established Member
Joined
30 Jul 2016
Messages
2,238
Location
London
How's about Meadowhall, with all the dandy out of town shoppers at break of evening?

Literally all the corner stations at South and West Yorkshire have some sort of issue...

Oh, and Peckham Rye too!
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Greenbank's improved a lot in recent years. 10 years ago if you'd told me the station would have CIS and a TVM I would have expected them to get vandalised as soon as they were fitted.
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
Greenbank's improved a lot in recent years. 10 years ago if you'd told me the station would have CIS and a TVM I would have expected them to get vandalised as soon as they were fitted.

Seem to remember a few years back that most of the Lostock Gralam signs fitted to the platform lamp standards appeared as though they had been used as target practice for airgun pellets, don't know if this is still the case?
 

furnessvale

Established Member
Joined
14 Jul 2015
Messages
4,914
Seem to remember a few years back that most of the Lostock Gralam signs fitted to the platform lamp standards appeared as though they had been used as target practice for airgun pellets, don't know if this is still the case?

Sadly it only takes one person to amuse themselves by such action to bring an area down. Same with graffiti.
 

John Luxton

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2014
Messages
2,041
Location
Liverpool
Apparently Blaenau Ffestiniog Station (Arriva Trains Wales / Ffestiniog Railway has been giving BTP concern. Here is a link to a newspaper report from last year: http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/blaenau-ffestiniog-barbecue-railway-track--9653458
“Groups have been hanging about at the station and, worryingly, on the railway tracks, where they’re consuming alcohol and drugs, and having barbecues - effectively treating what is an extremely dangerous environment like a park.
“They have so far shown a complete disregard for the residents who live nearby, as well as for their own safety. Quite simply, this has to stop.
here is an earlier report:

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/ffestiniog-railway-fighting-losing-battle-2945766
"Because of the yob culture among the young people, Blaenau has become a dangerous place.
"There are broken bottles on the streets, litter everywhere and the latest craze for these yobs is to tip over walls.
"I simply do not accept that there is nothing for these young people to do.
"They have the Urdd, football teams, a council-run youth club and the leisure centre and they take no interest in them at all. It's just wanton destruction."
 
Last edited by a moderator:

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,335
Location
Herts
It varies - certain age groups can cause trouble and move on / grow up / get nicked etc ...Garston on the St Albans branch used to be a problem , not now apparently. A moving feast ...

Wembley Central used to be more than scary - though the resident drug dealers used to sort of self police the area from muggers etc to keep the police away (as it was bad for business) ..!
 

507021

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
4,759
Location
Chester
Ellesmere Port, Overpool, Little Sutton...

Completely agree about Ellesmere Port, can't say anything for the other two because I've never alighted at them.

I can't say I'm a fan of Birkenhead North or Kirkdale after sunset either.
 

thenorthern

Established Member
Joined
27 May 2013
Messages
4,714
Probably London Waterloo simply because its the busiest.

In terms for anti-social behavior weighted against passengers numbers I would say Manchester United FC station.
 

Carlisle

Established Member
Joined
26 Aug 2012
Messages
4,515
What do you think are the worst stations in the UK for anti social behaviour? For example lots of chavs and yobs hanging around / lots of vandalism / lots of crimes / etc?

Brixton didn't feel the safest station to be on after dark a few years ago, don't know what it's like now
 

sk688

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2016
Messages
847
Location
Dublin
I wouldn't want to be near Harrow and Wealdstone at night , Bushey and even Watford Junction are far nicer ( even though Watford is still terrible ) , Harlesden is pretty terrible as well
 

NSE

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2010
Messages
1,920
As a student living in Wembley, I fancied a swim. It wasn't late, but being winter it was pitch black. Easiest pool to get to was near Harrow and Wealdstone station. Got off the train, left the station, turned round, went back in the station and took the first train out of there haha. It wasn't great.

And I'd nominate virtually any c2c station. As much as I love the route. I have some interesting things on that line.
 
Joined
23 Apr 2012
Messages
397
Location
Greater manchester.
Moston definitely, When I used this station at night I waited at the top of the ramp until I heard the train coming then run for it. Its unmanned dark and there are lots of youths hanging around, also during the school breaks I have been on a Rochdale bound train when kids as young as ten were throwing objects at the train- and that was in daylight.
 

southern442

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
2,266
Location
Surrey
And I'd nominate virtually any c2c station. As much as I love the route. I have some interesting things on that line.

I did notice a couple of District line stations towards the Upminster end (not c2c but same-ish line) were quite rough, lots of drinking and smoking (in broad daylight - some even on the trains!) and just a general unpleasant feeling.
 

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
1,450
I'd not put every c2c station in the same boat. I commuted on the line for several years, and really a lot of it is fine. I'd say Grays was probably the worst station for yobs, then maybe Ockendon, Tilbury Town, then probably Laindon and Basildon. Pitsea station is in a fairly tough area, but I never saw any problems there. Southend Central could be pretty lairy with drunken crowds some nights. Most of the other stations are perfectly fine though!
 

NSE

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2010
Messages
1,920
I'd not put every c2c station in the same boat. I commuted on the line for several years, and really a lot of it is fine. I'd say Grays was probably the worst station for yobs, then maybe Ockendon, Tilbury Town, then probably Laindon and Basildon. Pitsea station is in a fairly tough area, but I never saw any problems there. Southend Central could be pretty lairy with drunken crowds some nights. Most of the other stations are perfectly fine though!

Oh nah it was a bit tongue in cheek :P I mostly used Thorpe Bay station, which never had any trouble at all. Was at Chafford Hundred once and watched as a young lad scaled the fence to get on a train.
 

district

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2011
Messages
1,116
Location
SE16
Chartham has a lot of drug taking in the shelter. There is a large problem with youths at Deal.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,852
Location
Epsom
It can happen anywhere, even Worcester Park - one of the busiest and more expensive suburbs of London is not immune:

http://www.epsomguardian.co.uk/news...r_brawl_breaks_out_in_Worcester_Park_station/

A man was left with “serious facial injuries” after a brawl broke out in Worcester park station.

Officers from British Transport Police (BTP) were called to the station at 3.48am on Saturday to reports of a disturbance.

When they arrived they found that a fight had broken out in the station concourse and spilled out into the car park.

One man, in his twenties, suffered serious facial injuries and another man suffered minor injuries, a BTP spokesman said.

A 22-year-old man from Hounslow was arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and has been bailed until Monday, December 5.

A 21-year-old man from Epsom was also arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and bailed until Tuesday, December 6.

Central Road was partly closed on Saturday morning as dectectives carried out their investigations.
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
To be fair even the most surprising places can have issues. You wouldn't necessarily have thought I'd be mentioning Clandon and Uckfield on here, would you? Yet of all the places I see problems occurring with anti-social behaviour, those have been two of many hotspots during my career to date.

Of course, I do agree with others around the South Central ish area. Peckham Rye, of course. And further out, Ifield (and for that matter Crawley and Littlehaven) won't be in the top 10 of places that train crew enjoy going. Brixton, yes, Ore, yes. (At Ore, there have been a few periods when train crew have had to run in really slowly and then constantly patrol the empties, checking that yobs hidden by the siding hadn't egressed the doors, got in and started wrecking the train. Probably by no means a unique story, but it tells the tale well enough.)
 
Last edited:

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Joined
18 Apr 2011
Messages
2,825
Location
Birmingham
Stratford upon Avon has been a bit rough of late. There was an arson attack on it earlier this year. BTP and/or Warwickshire police have posted an order on the station which, and I can't remember exactly how this is worded, withdraws the implied right for people to be at the station and private security guards have been brought in to monitor it. I presume the police order (which is posted prominently in multiple locations on the station) is there to give the security guards the right to kick people off of the station if need be.
 

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
Surprised to see London Waterloo mentioned. Not surprised to see some of the others mentioned. I dislike travelling after about 2100. (Although sometimes late afternoon can be unpleasant owing to some school kids going home, not sure how many of them have tickets either, especially when they are only travelling a couple of stations along the line.)
 
Last edited:

scrapy

Established Member
Joined
15 Dec 2008
Messages
2,313
In terms for anti-social behavior weighted against passengers numbers I would say Manchester United FC station.

Id have to disagree is probably the only single platform station to have a police presence for most of its operating hours either on the platform or immediately outside the turnstiles. Many trains also have police on board. The platform is also closed between trains so very little opportunity for anti social behaviour.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top