• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA : Where haven’t Sprinters been?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neptune

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2018
Messages
2,626
Location
Yorkshire
150001 went on a huge tour of the country when new including places sprinters have never operated. I’m fairly certain that St Pancras was used for some of its publicity shots so south MML can be ruled out for never seen a sprinter.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2019
Messages
11,220
Location
West Wiltshire
SW London branches eg Chessington, Shepperton, Windsor

Alton branch, possibly Frimley line

Was going to say Brockenhurst - Dorchester South, (think they have been to Lymington)

Sprinters (in original class 155 form) used to Operate Portsmouth - Cardiff so parts of SWR territory have seen them for about 34 years
 

John C

Member
Joined
3 Dec 2011
Messages
198
A little more obscure....Ely to King’s Lynn ? Weaver Junction to Acton Grange Junction ? Berwick to Dunbar ?
I maybe wrong but I believe the 158’s which transferred a few years back from Scot Rail to Northern (158786 etc) travelled between Haymarket and either Heaton/Neville Hill via the ECML thus covering the Dunbar-Berwick section.
 

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2013
Messages
1,007
Location
London
All London termini apart from Waterloo.
All of Kent
Euston had a regular 158 working in the early days of privatisation when North West Trains ran a service.

156502 reached Dover in 1989, where it used the train ferry to cross the Channel and take part in an exhibition in Holland to mark the 150th anniversary of NS
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
Weren’t 155s and 156s called Super Sprinter when they were introduced? If so, are only 150s actually Sprinters, and therefore many fewer lines have been visited?
I think for the purposes of this thread the wider definition, including the Express Sprinter, is being used.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Euston had a regular 158 working in the early days of privatisation when North West Trains ran a service.

156502 reached Dover in 1989, where it used the train ferry to cross the Channel and take part in an exhibition in Holland to mark the 150th anniversary of NS
I was about to post this- it went under its own power, unlike 150263 which the previous year had travelled through Dover but being towed as part of an exhibition train, along with two BREL International coaches, the class 89, a 90 and a 91 and a couple of wagons with couplers/brake adaptors (and transitional liveries) to marshal the sprinter into the consist
 
Last edited:

aliceh

Member
Joined
11 Oct 2019
Messages
242
Location
Bournemouth
Was going to say Brockenhurst - Dorchester South, (think they have been to Lymington)
I've been on one in service to Bournemouth (during flooding disruption) , and i think they occasionally go to Bournemouth depot. Plus the Corfe Castle service used one, but between Branksome and Wareham is in with a shout!
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,389
Wasn't there a plan to use class 150s to replace Thumpers at one point? I'm sure I read that somewhere.
I don't think there was a plan. It was mooted in a magazine at one point that 150/2s would have been desirable to run the Brighton to Ashford service when they first put the CEP trailer coaches in 207101-207103/205205 but there weren't any available.
 

DustyBin

Established Member
Joined
20 Sep 2020
Messages
3,927
Location
First Class
How about the (now) Overground routes out of Liverpool Street? I’m thinking Cheshunt, Chingford and Enfield Town? Also there’s the new and former East London line sections, I’d be very surprised if a Sprinter has traversed those.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,747
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I've been into Paddington twice on 150/2s.

The Silverlink 150s were often seen in the centre roads at Euston. I believe sometimes an early Sunday morning WCML diagram was operated by a pair.

One of the prototype 150s has definitely been to St Pancras (though not in its current form).
 

Mat17

Member
Joined
17 Aug 2019
Messages
962
Location
Barnsley
150001 went on a huge tour of the country when new including places sprinters have never operated. I’m fairly certain that St Pancras was used for some of its publicity shots so south MML can be ruled out for never seen a sprinter.

Indeed I do believe I've seen a photo of it at St. Pancras.

My contender for never seeing a sprinter would be the line from Sheffield Victoria (as was) through to Wadsley Bridge station, which was used for football specials until the mid-90s.
 

sprinterguy

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Mar 2010
Messages
11,575
Location
Macclesfield
What about the WCML from Lancaster to Carlisle
Regularly traversed by the Crosscountry 158s in the mid-nineties to early 2000s.

The North West Trains 150s were also refurbished and repainted by Hunslet-Barclay at Kilmarnock during 1999/2000 and I believe they used the WCML as far as Carlisle. Similarly the Silverlink 150s were refurbished and repainted by Railcare at Springburn.

More recently there's been movement of Northern units between Newton Heath and Kilmarnock for refurbishment.
 
Last edited:

hacman

Member
Joined
22 Jul 2011
Messages
503
The Metro in Newcastle this is a guess
Pelaw - Sunderland is frequented by 156 and 158s, and Sunderland - South Hylton sees the Network Rail class 950 from time to time.

Obviously Gateshead Stadium - Pelaw Metro runs on a parallel track along the same alignment, so you could maybe count that - same with Palmersville - Northumberland park where 156s have gone up to Blyth.
 

Sprinter107

Member
Joined
26 Mar 2019
Messages
1,098
I've travelled into Euston from Coventry on an 8 car Tyseley rake when the juice was switched off very late one Saturday evening about 15 years ago.
 

Polarbear

Established Member
Joined
24 May 2008
Messages
1,926
Location
Birkenhead
A little more obscure....Ely to King’s Lynn ? Weaver Junction to Acton Grange Junction ? Berwick to Dunbar ?
Weaver Junction - Acton Grange Junction was briefly used by the First North Western Rochdale - Euston service that used 158's.
 

Grecian 1998

Member
Joined
27 Oct 2019
Messages
525
Location
Bristol
I've been on one in service to Bournemouth (during flooding disruption) , and i think they occasionally go to Bournemouth depot. Plus the Corfe Castle service used one, but between Branksome and Wareham is in with a shout!

SWT operated Bournemouth - Weymouth shuttles with 158s/159s during the 2012 Olympics.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,747
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
A 156 did make it to Hooton in 2013, as part of an excursion which started at Liverpool Lime Street and went via (IIRC) Warrington, Helsby and Ellesmere Port. On the way back it went via the Halton Curve.

Did 15x ever operate the Helsby-Hooton service before it was electrified to Ellesmere Port, or was that just 1st generation DMUs?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top