BeijingDave
Member
- Joined
- 26 Jul 2019
- Messages
- 804
Overcapacity is a big discussion point about the Chinese economy and infrastructure these days, and inevitably some of that refers to the railways.
I recently changed at Nanjing South, a mostly busy station serving a major city of around 10 million, yet saw trains occupying only 6 of the 28 platform faces at one point.
So my question is, which station in the UK has abundant 'overcapacity'?
I would guess Stirling with 9 platforms when sometimes only 1 may be occupied.
And which station has the most efficient capacity utilisation?
Again, it's an educated guess, but I would expect it to be Clapham Junction or maybe London Bridge. Manchester Piccadilly platforms 13 and 14 if you cleaved them off the main trainshed I suppose.
I recently changed at Nanjing South, a mostly busy station serving a major city of around 10 million, yet saw trains occupying only 6 of the 28 platform faces at one point.
So my question is, which station in the UK has abundant 'overcapacity'?
I would guess Stirling with 9 platforms when sometimes only 1 may be occupied.
And which station has the most efficient capacity utilisation?
Again, it's an educated guess, but I would expect it to be Clapham Junction or maybe London Bridge. Manchester Piccadilly platforms 13 and 14 if you cleaved them off the main trainshed I suppose.
