• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Stations that don't sound like they're Spelt

Status
Not open for further replies.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,946
Location
Mold, Clwyd
Yes okay, but it has been stated several times on this thread that Welsh, unlike English, is pronounced exactly as written.

I'm not so sure (after a decade of trying to learn it).
People say Betws-y-Coyd not Betws-y-Coed (Co-ed I would have expected).
Up the road from me they say Coyd-poyth for Coed Poeth.

I was told off in my class for pronouncing Abergele as Abergelly (quite subtle).
Don't forget that in a station sign the beginning of a name might mutate to something else eg Welcome to Bangor becomes Croeso i Fangor.

I once saw an ATW leaflet about engineering diversions and came across the station names: Manceinion Heol Rhydychen (Manchester Oxford Road) and Manceinion Fictoria (Victoria).

I don't know if Port Talbot is English or Welsh but it seems to come out as one word - PortAlbot (very flat A, not as in Sunbeam-Talbot).

I had a laugh with the locals in South Africa once while trying to get my head round the Zulu "Hl" (as in Hluhluwe Reserve in ZwaZulu Natal) when I realised it is pretty much the Welsh "ll".
No wonder the Ladysmith Black Mambazo felt at home in Llangollen.

My son lives in Shrewsbury - definitely Shrew...

I lived in Malvern for a spell, and started with MAlvern like most northerners.
But it's MOlvern (supposedly from the original Brythonic Moel Bryn).
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,949
Location
Fenny Stratford
there are people who work in my office who insist on pronouncing Harrogate as Harrow Gate.
I just ask where and when they say Harrow Gate, you know, near Leeds i say oh you mean arrogut
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Surely the old northern trick of dropping (or inserting) random "h" sounds doesn't apply to place names?!

I would probably say "Harrow", and then follow with with word "good" but with a "t" sound instead of a "d" sound. But that is because I know that the second syllable is not normally pronounced as "gate".
 
Joined
1 Apr 2012
Messages
426
Location
Leeds
there are people who work in my office who insist on pronouncing Harrogate as Harrow Gate.
I just ask where and when they say Harrow Gate, you know, near Leeds i say oh you mean arrogut

Harrow Gate is the posh name. Equally, there are those,who say they live in Pannarl (a suburb of Harrow Gate). Pannal is way too common!:D
 

Gwenllian2001

Member
Joined
15 Jan 2012
Messages
671
Location
Maesteg
I'm not so sure (after a decade of trying to learn it).
People say Betws-y-Coyd not Betws-y-Coed (Co-ed I would have expected).
Up the road from me they say Coyd-poyth for Coed Poeth.

I was told off in my class for pronouncing Abergele as Abergelly (quite subtle).
Don't forget that in a station sign the beginning of a name might mutate to something else eg Welcome to Bangor becomes Croeso i Fangor.

I once saw an ATW leaflet about engineering diversions and came across the station names: Manceinion Heol Rhydychen (Manchester Oxford Road) and Manceinion Fictoria (Victoria).

I don't know if Port Talbot is English or Welsh but it seems to come out as one word - PortAlbot (very flat A, not as in Sunbeam-Talbot).
I lived in Malvern for a spell, and started with MAlvern like most northerners.
But it's MOlvern (supposedly from the original Brythonic Moel Bryn).

The 'oe' is a dipthong; pronouced as 'oy'. There's nothing subtle about Abergele, 'L' is pronounced 'L' as in English. Port Talbot is not Welsh but named after the industrialist who developed the port. The historic name of the town is Aberafan. M'o'lvern is correct, see my earlier post concerning Welsh place names in England.
 

6Gman

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2012
Messages
9,233
I once saw an ATW leaflet about engineering diversions and came across the station names: Manceinion Heol Rhydychen (Manchester Oxford Road) and Manceinion Fictoria (Victoria).


.

Manceinion Buddug surely!

:D
 

37 418

Member
Joined
27 Jan 2010
Messages
201
Location
Dingwall, Scotland
Speaking of which, I heard someone say, recently, that Rutherglen was pronounced Ruglen? Is this correct or a windup? Any scotttish members on here know the definitive answer? Thanks.

Ruglen (stressing the Glen - nowadays it's stressed as per English/Germanic stress patterns) makes sense as it derives from Gaelic 'Ruadh Ghleann' the 'th' in the later English form is an incorrect way of rendering the 'dh/gh' sound in Gaelic. This is also true of the 'v' in Milngavie - it derives from Muileann Gaoithe (lit. 'windy mill') the 'th' in Gaoithe would originally been a 'h' or German 'ch' as in 'ich' sound

Most people pronounce names of Celtic origin wrong when it comes to stress, my personal bones of contention are Inverness and Aviemore - inverNESS and avieMORE are the CORRECT pronounciations.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There is a thread about a landslip at Slochd that is situated in the Highlands.....how should you pronounce that name with the correct vocal intonation ?

Locals pronounce it Slocht (o as in not, ch as in loch), the CORRECT way is to pronounce the 'd' as a 'k' thus /slochk/ 'ch' as in loch NOT church. -chd in Gaelic is pronounced IPA: /xk/

Hope that helps ;)
 

IanD

Established Member
Joined
18 Sep 2011
Messages
2,784
Location
Newport Pagnell
We have a very elderly resident in our village, who came from West Yorkshire, who is adamant that he comes from Bratford, despite seeing the word Bradford appearing in much of his correspondence.

I too come from that esteemed city and can confirm that is is pronounced Bratfud with the alternative pronunciation of t'sh ! tole. And the stations are pronounced Fosta Square and t'Intachange (or t'Exchange by those who know better).
 

ert47

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2010
Messages
688
Theres one that gets me - Chancery Lane on the Underground's Central Line.

Pronounce it with a southern "r" or say it like its spelt? (and announced on the train)
 
Joined
1 Apr 2012
Messages
426
Location
Leeds
Ruglen (stressing the Glen - nowadays it's stressed as per English/Germanic stress patterns) makes sense as it derives from Gaelic 'Ruadh Ghleann' the 'th' in the later English form is an incorrect way of rendering the 'dh/gh' sound in Gaelic. This is also true of the 'v' in Milngavie - it derives from Muileann Gaoithe (lit. 'windy mill') the 'th' in Gaoithe would originally been a 'h' or German 'ch' as in 'ich' sound

Most people pronounce names of Celtic origin wrong when it comes to stress, my personal bones of contention are Inverness and Aviemore - inverNESS and avieMORE are the CORRECT pronounciations.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


Locals pronounce it Slocht (o as in not, ch as in loch), the CORRECT way is to pronounce the 'd' as a 'k' thus /slochk/ 'ch' as in loch NOT church. -chd in Gaelic is pronounced IPA: /xk/

Hope that helps ;)

Thanks for that explanation. It does help.
 

Stewart

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2011
Messages
127
there are people who work in my office who insist on pronouncing Harrogate as Harrow Gate.
I just ask where and when they say Harrow Gate, you know, near Leeds i say oh you mean arrogut

Both are correct. It's just different accents. I'd probably say something in between.

However Bath is correct, yet Baaaaaaaaaath is incorrect. There is only one "a", as in cap, tan bat, tap, and so many other words.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
I know there's little if any point in my saying this, but the more "correct" way to say certain words, as epitomised in the South-East, with an "a" in the middle is to say such words with a lengthened "a" sound, producing an "aaaaa"/"arrrr". Bath is such a word. The same is true of the city. Anyone whose accent is reminiscent of the Queen's English, or otherwise the "standard" accent of Received Pronunciation (as used by the BBC among others), will say "bath" in this style - the city included. And no, I'm not from a posh background. I lived on a council estate from 11 to 20. (I am admittedly "posh" its standards though :lol:)

Irrespective though, I can tolerate the short "a". What I can't tolerate are people saying "Baff"! <(

By using the word "correct" in this manner I have opened myself up to infinite criticism :roll:
 

fairysdad

Member
Joined
27 Dec 2010
Messages
960
Location
London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
I know there's little if any point in my saying this, but the more "correct" way to say certain words, as epitomised in the South-East, with an "a" in the middle is to say such words with a lengthened "a" sound, producing an "aaaaa"/"arrrr". Bath is such a word. The same is true of the city. Anyone whose accent is reminiscent of the Queen's English, or otherwise the "standard" accent of Received Pronunciation (as used by the BBC among others), will say "bath" in this style - the city included. And no, I'm not from a posh background. I lived on a council estate from 11 to 20. (I am admittedly "posh" its standards though :lol:)

Irrespective though, I can tolerate the short "a". What I can't tolerate are people saying "Baff"! <(

By using the word "correct" in this manner I have opened myself up to infinite criticism :roll:
Surely the correct way to say any place name is the way that it is pronounced locally? Having said that, I've no idea how residents of Bath pronounce its name...

I always think the same should be said with countries' names... take Germany for instance - given that they call it Deutschland, surely everybody else should as well. Anyway, that has taken this somewhat off-topic :)

Carry on.
 

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
Whether you use the long or short A to pronounce things like "Bath" is more to do with accent than how things should be pronounced properly. Neither is more correct than the other. Back to the Chancery Lane issue and if the tube announcer is pronouncing it with a short A then that's solely because of her accent, she is not pronouncing it incorrectly.

Nine years ago I did work experience as a journalist on a radio station in the south and was told I should pronounce things with a long A, and I told the news editor I would never do such a thing. I don't have a particularly strong accent, especially not when speaking formally, but it's quite clear that I'm from somewhere in the vague Midlands area.

I suppose certain voices are chosen for announcements in certain areas for example the automated announcements on FTPE are done by a woman with a Northern accent (I can't remember which). I always think the female automated announcer at Birmingham New Street sounds a bit odd because it is a quite strong RP accent, but wouldn't think twice if I heard it at a London terminal station.

Most manual announcements are more likely to be done by locals. There's one at BHM that is quite obviously local and a more recent female addition to the voices in which I think I detect an Asian twang. I have today heard a long A in "Lancaster" at Wolverhampton, I don't think that particular one is originally from the area.

The point is none of these are right or wrong.
 
Last edited:

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Surely the correct way to say any place name is the way that it is pronounced locally?

Does this mean London should be pronounced as either (a) Lon-don (with the "o" as in "rot") or (b) Landan? I think not :lol:

Having said that, I've no idea how residents of Bath pronounce its name...

It should be the way you pronounce "Spa", but it isn't <( They say it the way you would say "cat".
 

Francis

Member
Joined
22 Dec 2011
Messages
184
Location
Chorley, Lancs
Many years ago I remember being invited into the cab of a DMU between Bridlington and Hull. The driver asked me - how do you think we pronounce that village over there - Aike, it was on my map. I suggested it looked like the word "ache" as in hurt. "Eee noh," he said, "we say: Yak. Yak-ovver-Arram", Arram being the neighbouring larger village.

English pronunciation is not phonetic, so you can never be sure you have it right. Take Doveridge between Uttoxeter and Burton. Is it Dove-ridge, Dover-idge, Dovveridge? I don't know. Ironically, Welsh names are phonetic, and if you know the rules you will get it right. So an English speaker who knows the rules of Welsh pronunciation may get the Welsh name correct, but the English version wrong.

For example, Presteigne in Powys, on the old branch from Leominster. Is it Presteen or Presteyne? I'm not sure. But in Welsh it is Llanandras which is quite straightforward.
 

Scotty

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2009
Messages
463
Location
Boston, Lincs
Surely the correct way to say any place name is the way that it is pronounced locally? Having said that, I've no idea how residents of Bath pronounce its name...

I always think the same should be said with countries' names... take Germany for instance - given that they call it Deutschland, surely everybody else should as well. Anyway, that has taken this somewhat off-topic :)

Carry on.

What about football teams? It's interesting what us English call the team who are due to play Chelsea in the Champions League Final.

We call them Bayern Munich, which cross references German and English. Surely we should call them Bavaria Munich, or Bayern Munchen - and not a mixture of the two!
 
Joined
30 Dec 2009
Messages
480
I have looked at the first 5 pages only, so i apologise if these have been already mentioned.

Teignmouth - pronounced as Tin muth
Wymondham - pronounced as Wym dam
Llanelli - pronounced as Clan ethley
Ruswarp - pronunced as Rus ap
Keighley - pronounced at Keith ley
Meols - pronounced as Mells

these are the only ones i can think of.
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
Llanelli - pronounced as Clan ethley

Maybe it's time to drop the Welsh stations. Apart from the occasional local dialect and/or slang, they are always pronounced as one would expect (assuming the stations have Welsh names anyway).

I wouldn't agree that it is "Clan" anyway. It's closer to "Thlan".
 

dvboy

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
2,039
Location
Birmingham
I thougth Wymondham was pronounced Wind-ham, not Wim-dam - the latter is harder to pronounce correctly.
 

37 418

Member
Joined
27 Jan 2010
Messages
201
Location
Dingwall, Scotland
Maybe it's time to drop the Welsh stations. Apart from the occasional local dialect and/or slang, they are always pronounced as one would expect (assuming the stations have Welsh names anyway).

I wouldn't agree that it is "Clan" anyway. It's closer to "Thlan".

I would agree with that. ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top