• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: STATIONS IN CATHEDRAL TOWNS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,980
Location
Airedale
Does anyone recall a timetabling quiz in Modern Railways some years ago?
The winners - not I :(( - realised that Southwell Minster is technically in the town of Newark. I wouldn't like to walk it though...
 

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Joined
23 Mar 2013
Messages
6,490
Location
Powys
Just doing a bit of research on this topic and until now I never realised how just few places have both a CoE and Catholic cathedral. By my reckoning it's just London, Birmingham, Liverpool, Newcastle, Bristol, Sheffield, Portsmouth & Norwich. Manchester and Salford have the pair between them.

And Cardiff, although the Church of Wales one is called Llandaff, but it is still within the city boundary.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just a few minutes walk from Danescourt.

Your either a quick walker or take long steps, Philipe!!
I reckon it is at least 10 minutes.
 

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Joined
14 Nov 2011
Messages
13,472
Location
Caerphilly
And Cardiff, although the Church of Wales one is called Llandaff, but it is still within the city boundary.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


Your either a quick walker or take long steps, Philipe!!
I reckon it is at least 10 minutes.

I ran !!!
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,924
Does anyone recall a timetabling quiz in Modern Railways some years ago?
The winners - not I :(( - realised that Southwell Minster is technically in the town of Newark. I wouldn't like to walk it though...

That's what came to mind when I saw this thread title. Must have been at least 25 years ago. From memory the 2nd and third placed entries started and finished on the same train, but had completely different itineraries!
 

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2014
Messages
2,544
I'm not going to check how far they are from each station, but FGWs Portsmouth to Cardiff Services must fare well at this - Portsmouth Cathedral, Salisbury, (Bath Abbey/Wells is fairly near though), Bristol, Newport, Cardiff.

Portsmouth's a city, as is Sarum. Corrected your spelling mistake too. ;)
 

deltic08

On Moderation
Joined
26 Aug 2013
Messages
2,907
Location
North
Ripon is a City too.

Leeds Northern wanted to build closer to Ripon Cathedral but was not allowed to by the Dean and Chapter but passed within half a mile.

I would say Newcastle-Liverpool TPEx diverted via Wakefield K. passes the greatest number of Cathedra. Newcastle, Durham, York, Leeds (RC only), Wakefield, Manchester, Liverpool. Or, diverted via Bradford Interchange would give Newcastle, Durham, York, Leeds, Bradford, Halifax (Now has a Minster), Manchester, Liverpool.

NB the plural of Cathedral is Cathedra.
 

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
1,449
Bury St Edmunds presumably isn't counted as a city. The Cathedral is a fairly short walk from the station, and is probably worth a visit.

The RC cathedral in Arundel - a 19th century Gothic revival thing - is elegant and attractive, and with the castle next door (the residence of a prominent English RC family) contribute greatly to the landscape by their hill-top location.

Not sure whether Middlesbrough is a city or not (I presume not), but arguably its RC cathedral (not in the city centre - but out in the suburbs, the nearest - but not very near - railway station being Gypsy Lane ) is by quite some way the ugliest cathedral in the UK: Clifton and Liverpool Met at least have some power in their design.

Brentwood's already been mentioned. I disagree that the cathedral is architecturally uninteresting, although it feels to me very much like a 17th century English civic building rather than a church. (I think this is the newest cathedral building in England - it's from around the early 1990s, designed by Quinlan Terry)

Not sure exactly how what constitutes a city in Scotland is defined, but I suspect that several of those places with RC cathedrals, and quite possibly some with Episcopal/Anglican ones too there are not - e.g. Paisley, Motherwell, Oban, Ayr. Of these probably only the cathedrals (both of them) in Oban would jump out at me as being worth a visit from an architectural point of view.
 

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,762
Location
Yorkshire
Leeds Northern wanted to build closer to Ripon Cathedral but was not allowed to by the Dean and Chapter but passed within half a mile.

I would say Newcastle-Liverpool TPEx diverted via Wakefield K. passes the greatest number of Cathedra. Newcastle, Durham, York, Leeds (RC only), Wakefield, Manchester, Liverpool. Or, diverted via Bradford Interchange would give Newcastle, Durham, York, Leeds, Bradford, Halifax (Now has a Minster), Manchester, Liverpool.

NB the plural of Cathedral is Cathedra.

Do you have any references for that? Every reference I can see gives it as Cathedrals. They usually contain a cathedra which is the Bishops's throne.

Despite trying to be picky with that you seem to have missed that the question was about cathedral towns, not the numerous cities you've given. The only town I can spot is Halifax, which though as you correctly state has had a Minster since 2009 , does not have a cathedral.
 

deltic08

On Moderation
Joined
26 Aug 2013
Messages
2,907
Location
North
Do you have any references for that? Every reference I can see gives it as Cathedrals. They usually contain a cathedra which is the Bishops's throne.

Despite trying to be picky with that you seem to have missed that the question was about cathedral towns, not the numerous cities you've given. The only town I can spot is Halifax, which though as you correctly state has had a Minster since 2009 , does not have a cathedral.

Most posters have made the same assumption. And yes, the plural of Cathedral is Cathedra as I was taught at school. No need for reference.
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
It has a Roman Catholic Cathedral as well as the Abbey.

Indeed. http://www.dioceseofshrewsbury.org/about-us/cathedral/welcome
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just doing a bit of research on this topic and until now I never realised how just few places have both a CoE and Catholic cathedral. By my reckoning it's just London, Birmingham, Liverpool, Newcastle, Bristol, Sheffield, Portsmouth & Norwich. Manchester and Salford have the pair between them.

Many of the older Anglican cathedrals were built as Catholic churches but got converted to being Anglican cathedrals following Henry VIII's fall out with The Pope. Chester being one such example.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,762
Location
Yorkshire
Most posters have made the same assumption.

A couple have until the OP's question was pointed out to them.

And yes, the plural of Cathedral is Cathedra as I was taught at school. No need for reference.

I'll feel free not to believe you then as it's not what I was taught and I can't find anyone else that says it is.

It certainly comes from the Latin word cathedra. As a thoroughly anglicised word I'll stick an S on the end of it to pluralise it until someone can convince me otherwise.
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
Indeed- and Dunblane has direct services to all seven of Scotland's cities (though no English ones)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
NB the plural of Cathedral is Cathedra.

I'd love to see your working on this, I've checked several linguistic sites and they all disagree with you. The Latin word for "Bishop's throne" for reference is "cathedralis"
 
Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,762
Location
Yorkshire
And yes, the plural of Cathedral is Cathedra as I was taught at school. No need for reference.

I'm happy to belive that an association of people involved with such buildings might be expected to know what the plural is.

http://www.englishcathedrals.co.uk/about-us/

But if you want to carry on using your own special plural don't let me stop you.

I'd love to see your working on this, I've checked several linguistic sites and they all disagree with you. The Latin word for "Bishop's throne" for reference is "cathedralis"

It's OK. Someone told them years ago it was catheda so there's no need to ever check it's right.
 
Last edited:

khib70

Member
Joined
29 Aug 2011
Messages
236
Location
Edinburgh
Indeed- and Dunblane has direct services to all seven of Scotland's cities (though no English ones)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


I'd love to see your working on this, I've checked several linguistic sites and they all disagree with you. The Latin word for "Bishop's throne" for reference is "cathedralis"
Not strictly true. The up Chieftain stops there on Sundays only. Calls at Newcastle, Darlington and York on the way to Kings Cross.

...and I think "cathedrals" is obviously right. the OED gives "cathedralis" as Late Latin, with "cathedra" as the original Latin word for a bishop's throne. "Cathedral" is from Middle English, and is an abbreviation of Cathedral Church, meaning "The church which contains the bishop's throne" The Latin plural would be "cathedrae", not "cathedra"
 
Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,366
Location
Yorkshire
Leeds Northern wanted to build closer to Ripon Cathedral but was not allowed to by the Dean and Chapter but passed within half a mile.

I would say Newcastle-Liverpool TPEx diverted via Wakefield K. passes the greatest number of Cathedra. Newcastle, Durham, York, Leeds (RC only), Wakefield, Manchester, Liverpool. Or, diverted via Bradford Interchange would give Newcastle, Durham, York, Leeds, Bradford, Halifax (Now has a Minster), Manchester, Liverpool.

The usual route would also include Dewsbury Minster... If that counts!
 

Wolfie

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2010
Messages
7,436
Shrewsbury has an Abbey, not a Cathedral.

Cardiff has 2 Cathedrals; St Davids RC is within a mile of Queens St Station, but I'm not sure whether Llandaff Cathedral is more than a mile from Fairwater or Danescourt stations.

Are we talking direct or by road?

Shrewsbury RC (as Phillipe said!) Cathedral is definitely a Cathedral (or at least it certainly was when I once read at the Christmas Service there;)!).....
 

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
I think the OP was referring to 'Cathedral Towns', that is, locations with cathedrals but no city status. Many of these are Catholic Cathedrals, built since the link between having a cathedral and being a city was broken.

At least one of these is also wrong (Morecambe, I've now removed it!).
 

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
1,449
Indeed. http://www.dioceseofshrewsbury.org/about-us/cathedral/welcome
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---


Many of the older Anglican cathedrals were built as Catholic churches but got converted to being Anglican cathedrals following Henry VIII's fall out with The Pope. Chester being one such example.

And also, when the Roman Catholic church was allowed to establish itself again (from 1829), and subsequently established a hierarchy (this necessitating cathedrals to contain cathedrae for the newly appointed bishops), it made a point of, mostly, establishing them in places that did not have an already existing cathedral. There were a few exceptions from the start, and more occurred later as the initial dioceses were sub-divided.
 

route:oxford

Established Member
Joined
1 Nov 2008
Messages
4,949
Not strictly true. The up Chieftain stops there (Dunblane) on Sundays only. Calls at Newcastle, Darlington and York on the way to Kings Cross.

Not forgetting Carlisle when on Diversion.

The term "Cathedral" in Scotland is a bit odd. Dunblane Catherdral is definitely called a cathedral by most people, but Church of Scotland doesn't have Cathedrals - they are usually referred to as "High Kirks"

At the same time, as far as I know, Dunblane Cathedral is the only Cathedral (or High Kirk) owned by the Crown (and maintained by Historic Scotland)...
 
Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,342
What, no Orthodox cathedrals in the count?

Wikipedia lists of cathedrals include some of the cathedrals designated by orthodox churches:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cathedrals_in_England_and_Wales

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cathedrals_in_Scotland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cathedrals_in_Ireland

These pages contain photos of the most of relevant cathedrals, and links to information about individual cathedrals.

And there is also a list of UK cities - eliminating these shows cathedrals that are in towns:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_the_United_Kingdom
 

dcsprior

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2012
Messages
862
Location
Edinburgh (Fri-Mon) & London (Tue-Thu)
Dunblane has a cathedral, not that far from the station, and it's a town, not a city.

Perhaps... If my memory is correct, the road-sign as you enter from Bridge Of Allan says "City of Dunblane" and when growing up nearby I was taught that it was a city, unlike (then) Stirling, despite Stirling being far larger

Indeed- and Dunblane has direct services to all seven of Scotland's cities (though no English ones)

Not strictly true. The up Chieftain stops there on Sundays only. Calls at Newcastle, Darlington and York on the way to Kings Cross.

And I think the Inverness portion of the sleeper too

At the same time, as far as I know, Dunblane Cathedral is the only Cathedral (or High Kirk) owned by the Crown (and maintained by Historic Scotland)...

Wikipedia's list of Historic Scotland properties includes a few Cathedrals, but the only other non-ruin I could see was Glasgow
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,980
Location
Airedale
That's what came to mind when I saw this thread title. Must have been at least 25 years ago. From memory the 2nd and third placed entries started and finished on the same train, but had completely different itineraries!

And I recall the list omitted Chelmsford. Supposedly a new Archbishop of Canterbury was the traveller which I think referred to Rowan Williams' appointment in 2002. The competition provided a welcome distraction, and much thumbing of the GB TT in those pre broadband days.

Not that this is relevant to the current thread....
 

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,053
Location
Bristol
I'm happy to belive that an association of people involved with such buildings might be expected to know what the plural is.

http://www.englishcathedrals.co.uk/about-us/

But if you want to carry on using your own special plural don't let me stop you.



It's OK. Someone told them years ago it was catheda so there's no need to ever check it's right.

It is most definitely Cathedrals.
Pluralisation of nouns taken from other languages should always be done in the English fashion, ie adding s or sometimes es. It should not be carried out in the original language.

The only exceptions are where the adopted word is already plural, note therefore that singularisation cannot be done by removing the s, because there isn't one.

An example of this is data
because it is already plural, we have to use datum from the original language for the singular.
There are quite a few of these:
criteria/criterion
media/medium
strata/stratum
to name but 3.
 
Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
13,762
Location
Yorkshire
It is most definitely Cathedrals.
Pluralisation of nouns taken from other languages should always be done in the English fashion, ie adding s or sometimes es. It should not be carried out in the original language.

The only exceptions are where the adopted word is already plural, therefore singularisation cannot be done by removing the s, because there isn't one.

An example of this is data
because it is already plural, we have to use datum from the original language for the singular.
There are quite a few of these:
criteria/criterion
media/medium
strata/stratum
to name but 3.

Generally. There's a few words we use the original language's plural form - child/-ren. ox/-en being roughly germanic and how many Old English plurals were formed. And then there's the plural "sheep" - and tooth/teeth.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top