• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: PIS and signage fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Challenge

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2016
Messages
2,837
There is a board outside the station at Woking where the National Express service to Heathrow, and it was displaying the IP Address and other technical information instead of departure information. I don't ever remember seeing it displaying useful information, but I don't see it very often!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlexNL

Established Member
Joined
19 Dec 2014
Messages
1,721
Does this Danish one count?

9YyEu4dl.jpg


Picture: Banedanmark PIS screen showing a Chrome "Oh, snap" error page instead of departure information.
 

_toommm_

Established Member
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
6,306
Location
South West London
At Carlisle yesterday, the 14:10 West Coast Railway Company service was on platform 4. Its destination was CHARTER TRAIN, it was operated by CHARTER TRAIN, and had station stops at HLDGDLP (Hellifield Goods Loops) and FRNTNJN (Farrington Jn.). Fairly funny.
 

PR1Berske

Established Member
Joined
27 Jul 2010
Messages
3,025
At Carlisle yesterday, the 14:10 West Coast Railway Company service was on platform 4. Its destination was CHARTER TRAIN, it was operated by CHARTER TRAIN, and had station stops at HLDGDLP (Hellifield Goods Loops) and FRNTNJN (Farrington Jn.). Fairly funny.
You've triggered my memory, I'm certain I've seen a junction appear on a PIS before. How could that be programmed, an incorrect code?
 

_toommm_

Established Member
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
6,306
Location
South West London
You've triggered my memory, I'm certain I've seen a junction appear on a PIS before. How could that be programmed, an incorrect code?

I believe it is when it's put down as station stop by accident, as opposed to a point where the train is allocated waiting time I.e. a non-public calling point (unfortunately I don't know the technical side of it)

One time springs to mind where a Leeds to St. Pancras HST was allocated time to wait at Swinton, but it was incorrectly put down as a station stop, so it appeared on the PIS and station planners.
 

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,539
SWT 159s used to announce "The next station is Exeter Central, change here for Exmouth Junction and Lympstone"
 

Dren Ahmeti

Member
Joined
17 Oct 2017
Messages
602
Location
Reading
You've triggered my memory, I'm certain I've seen a junction appear on a PIS before. How could that be programmed, an incorrect code?
XC from Reading sometimes turn round at Didcot West End, instead of going on the Avoiders, meaning that the external displays sometimes display Didcot West End as the next stop!
 

jamesthegill

Member
Joined
26 Dec 2013
Messages
49
You've triggered my memory, I'm certain I've seen a junction appear on a PIS before. How could that be programmed, an incorrect code?

After the May timetable changeover one of the signals outside Littleport was incorrectly listened as a station stop rather than a timing point on the Kings Lynn trains, so appeared on station CIS screens as part of the calling pattern.
 

ijmad

Established Member
Joined
7 Jan 2016
Messages
1,858
Location
UK
Lots of videos of 378's PIS going nuts and announcing all stations on the network one after another, or all possible announcements, as in this video.


I assume there's a testing mode that is way too easy for drivers to inadvertently turn on? Probably bad user interface in the cab?
 

sprunt

Established Member
Joined
22 Jul 2017
Messages
1,651
This morning at Moorgate, when the next train into a platform was due to go out of service after terminating: "The next service is out of service. Please do not board this train." "The next service is out of service" is horribly phrased.
 

Furrball

Member
Joined
9 May 2011
Messages
601
The entry of Neilston as <Neilston> on the Glasgow Central boards has puzzled me ever since we moved up here
 

318266

Member
Joined
30 Sep 2017
Messages
897
Location
S&W of Alexander Dennis, N&E of Wrightbus
The entry of Neilston as <Neilston> on the Glasgow Central boards has puzzled me ever since we moved up here

It used to be even funnier! It would put all stations which had trains that terminated from the station in all capitals. I'm not sure when, but I'm pretty sure that Neilston was an exception that was left out, instead putting what you've shown above.
 

roversfan2001

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2016
Messages
1,666
Location
Lancashire
At Carlisle yesterday, the 14:10 West Coast Railway Company service was on platform 4. Its destination was CHARTER TRAIN, it was operated by CHARTER TRAIN, and had station stops at HLDGDLP (Hellifield Goods Loops) and FRNTNJN (Farrington Jn.). Fairly funny.
Sorry, pet peeve of mine, being local to the area, but Farington only has one 'r' ;)

Back on topic, at Wigan North Western I've seen a junction advertised as a stop, but I can't remember which service or junction, but it was from platform 1.
 

MadMac

Established Member
Joined
13 Jun 2008
Messages
1,504
Location
Moorpark, CA
Not "automated", but a long story.

At Glasgow Central in the 80s, there was an announcer who some of us christened "Paddy" as he seemed to have a very thick Irish accent - he was actually of Lithuanian descent and had ended up as the announcer due to having been made redundant from another post, but I digress. One evening he announced that "The 17:18 to East Kilbride is the Front Train at Platform 5", followed shortly thereafter by "The 17:14 Train to Barrhead is the Rear Train at Platform 5". For those of you unfamiliar with Central, it's a terminus. You can see why this was problematic. Cue mumblings from passengers along the lines of "If it's got anything to do with him, I'm not bloody surprised".

Fast forward a few months, and there were numerous complaints about the quality of the public address system at Central, to the extent that orders came from the very top to find out what the issue was and repair it. The Telecomms folks made strenuous efforts to replicate the problem to no avail. Finally, someone hit on the idea of contacting the complainants in an effort to identify if these issues happened at specific times of day. No pattern was identified, until someone had the equally bright idea of cross-referencing the complaints to "Paddy"'s shift pattern. You can guess what they found.....
 

AlexNL

Established Member
Joined
19 Dec 2014
Messages
1,721
Many years ago, Dutch Railways used split-flap displays to show information about where trains would run to. The split-flap displays looked like this:

640px-Utrecht_Centraal_CTA_spoor_19.png


Apart from times and calling patterns, there were also flaps to indicate that the train is an all station service (used when not all destinations could be displayed), to announce busstitution, to indicate that a reservation is required, and so forth. The system worked pretty well, but it had its flaws. Sometimes a flap would get stuck, leading to an erroneous or humorous train announcement.

Back then, there was also a direct EuroNight train from Amsterdam to Moscow. Imagine my surprise when I saw a split-flap board at Utrecht Centraal announce an EN to Moscow as "stops at all intermediate stations"!
 

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,539
This one is one of my favourite CIS fails, courtesy of Great Western Railway.
 

Attachments

  • Rodger 18.07 fail.mp3
    739.5 KB · Views: 122

Furrball

Member
Joined
9 May 2011
Messages
601
It used to be even funnier! It would put all stations which had trains that terminated from the station in all capitals. I'm not sure when, but I'm pretty sure that Neilston was an exception that was left out, instead putting what you've shown above.

Apologies, not quite following on that description.
 

ijmad

Established Member
Joined
7 Jan 2016
Messages
1,858
Location
UK
This one is one of my favourite CIS fails, courtesy of Great Western Railway.

I would love to see the front half terminate at Westbury and the rear coaches continue on to call at And.
 

_toommm_

Established Member
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
6,306
Location
South West London
The new screens on Platform 13 and 14 at Piccadilly don't recognise Ilkeston as a station... for the 08:43 service to Norwich it goes Alfreton, **unknown station**, Nottingham...
 

njamescouk

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2017
Messages
201
next train doesn't stop at Barnsley... unless it's the Huddersfield train.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20181101_064009.jpg
    IMG_20181101_064009.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 82

prod_pep

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2010
Messages
1,711
Location
Liverpool
At Glasgow Central, the replacement bus departure location doesn't seem to be programmed in. I've often heard "the next bus to depart from *pause* will be the..."

For years, the boards on the Ormskirk line showed the 17.05 Ormskirk - Liverpool service as a 6 car even though it was almost always a 3 car. I think this was a remnant from Arriva days, when the service actually was a booked 6 car working. The boards never showed the return journey, the 17.40 Liverpool Central - Ormskirk, as a 6 car though.
 

MadMac

Established Member
Joined
13 Jun 2008
Messages
1,504
Location
Moorpark, CA
I believe it is when it's put down as station stop by accident, as opposed to a point where the train is allocated waiting time I.e. a non-public calling point (unfortunately I don't know the technical side of it)

One time springs to mind where a Leeds to St. Pancras HST was allocated time to wait at Swinton, but it was incorrectly put down as a station stop, so it appeared on the PIS and station planners.

There are pictures out there of a 1st generation DMU on a tour with “Cluny Bridge” (near Thornton in Fife) displayed on the destination blind. There wasn’t a station there when the blind was produced: I don’t think there ever has been. Apparently the blind manufacturer was given an extract from the Working Timetable with anything that wasn’t supposed to be on the blind crossed out. Cluny Bridge wasn’t crossed out.
 

Fearless

Member
Joined
7 Jul 2018
Messages
123
Location
North Somerset
I recently boarded an Edinburgh-bound Pendolino at New Street and thought someone was having a laugh with the onboard announcements - they'd been sucking helium, by the sound of it. Or was letting Pinky and Perky have a go (for those of us old enough to remember them). Luckily the guard took over with manual announcements after Sandwell & Dudley, which is where I recorded it (just tried to upload it, but the file is too large, sadly).
 

Highlandspring

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2017
Messages
2,777
I’ve seen this a few times always affecting trains with Inverness; screens showing a train destined for “& Empty to depot”. In the photo below taken at Perth the 1540 on platform 2 was actually going to Inverness. It doesn’t always happen, as you can see from the other Inverness bound service!

9C249A8D-6861-45AF-979F-7F10D92EE437.jpeg
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
I’ve seen this a few times always affecting trains with Inverness; screens showing a train destined for “& Empty to depot”. In the photo below taken at Perth the 1540 on platform 2 was actually going to Inverness. It doesn’t always happen, as you can see from the other Inverness bound service!

View attachment 54867
I've seen similar on TPE services at both Huddersfield and York. Think it happens when a double unit is being split at the end of the evening peak.
 

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,539
I saw a great one at Bradford On Avon the other day. On the CIS at the station, it had "Due to short platforms, passengers for Avoncliff and Freshford should board the front of the train" immediately followed by "The front door is not in use"

GWR must also have short term memory loss as Freshford has had its platforms extended to take 5 carriages now, so everything that runs at normal service should fit there.
 

Mordac

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2016
Messages
2,386
Location
Birmingham
I saw a great one at Bradford On Avon the other day. On the CIS at the station, it had "Due to short platforms, passengers for Avoncliff and Freshford should board the front of the train" immediately followed by "The front door is not in use"

GWR must also have short term memory loss as Freshford has had its platforms extended to take 5 carriages now, so everything that runs at normal service should fit there.
If he was a blind manufacturer, how could he read the timetable? :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top