• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: obscure rail tickets you've used

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,828
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
What are some tickets you've used that you think virtually nobody else has bought?

For example, recently I travelled from Shepreth (Cambs) to Leigh (Kent) on one ticket, and thanks to a split ticket, possess a Yarmouth (Wight) to Royston advance.

I can't imagine there are many Bletchley <-> Aughton Park sold, though given how busy Merseyrail is there may be one or two others.

I have been to Altnabreac, but sadly that was a break of journey on the return half of a Saver (it was that long ago) to Wick so I can't count that one.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A S Leib

Established Member
Joined
9 Sep 2018
Messages
3,410
Newcastle to Drem's probably fairly rare, although I'd be surprised if nobody's done the reverse.
 

contrex

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2009
Messages
1,680
Location
St Werburghs, Bristol
Aged 12 I was issued a hand-written ticket from East Brixton to 'TULLS HILL'. The booking office was a little kiosk on the Victoria bound platform; I had to go down into the road and up the stairs on the other side of the bridge to get to the London Bridge platform (so I could change at Peckham Rye). I think that most destinations from the intermediate South London Line stations had to be hand written.
 

mm333

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2008
Messages
776
Location
53.8331°N 1.7734°W
Travelling to my mum's in rural Lincolnshire, I needed to get a taxi for the last leg of the journey. If the cash machine at Doncaster station was only giving out £20 notes, I'd go to the LNER ticket machines, buy a child's Barry Links-Golf Street single and the machine would give me £19.?? change! I did that quite a few times :)
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,332
John Betjeman wrote that in the mid-1950s he bought a First Class single from South Hampstead to Primrose Hill (called Chalk Farm then), next station along the DC Line, and it came out headed LNWR, having been in stock for at least 35 years previously
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,900
Darlington to (Hayes and) Harlington is my favourite.
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,474
Location
Somerset
A Sea Mills to Bidston return issued as part of the YP February offer in 1987 - maybe not in itself remarkable, but it was on Edmondson stock and the grippers took up the challenge to the extent that by the time I got back there was more home than card.
 

Sir Felix Pole

Established Member
Joined
21 Oct 2012
Messages
2,212
Location
Wilmslow
Back in the day Wilmslow (and other principal LM stations) could issue continental tickets and also make the necessary reservations (actually by phoning London Victoria!). I have a 1980 Wilmslow to Copenhagen ticket (via Mcr Piccadilly, Harwich, Hoek van H, Bentheim,Hamburg, Puttgarden). Happy Days.
 

cornishjohn

Member
Joined
1 Feb 2011
Messages
169
Handwritten Edmondson Fulwell to Bristol return.

Handwritten airline format paper tickets Sandy/Underground/Harwich Parkeston Quay/Ferry/Hamburg/Lübeck return. I was surprised to have no trouble at all on the undergrounds section - we were just waved through.
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,758
Location
Up North
Back when the Borders Line opened and there was a pricing issue to/from many stations I ended up with various wacky tickets like Eskbank to Kildonan for use between Edinburgh and Inverness.

My most recent unusual ticket is probably a single from Newcastle to Belfast!
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,900
Just remembered one:

Five Ways to Rye. I didn't get off at Rye.

My one and only trip on a Thumper.
 

jumble

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2011
Messages
1,500
Sort of related: a fellow on another forum I visit did a FOI request for TfL journeys which nobody made in 2023-24. There are quite a few!

I am amazed someone did a Northwick Park to Kenton
The TFL route planner is somewhat messed up suggesting a quick trip to Preston Road and back and then walking



09:57 - Arrive at:10:19
Total time:22mins

Detailed steps for option 1​

Step 1​


DepartNorthwick Park Station at 09:57viaTransfer to Northwick Park Station


Transfer to Northwick Park Station
Journey time:
3 min

View directions

Step 2​


DepartNorthwick Park Underground Station at 10:00viaMetropolitan line to Preston Road


Metropolitan line to Preston Road
Journey time:
2 min

Step 3​


DepartPreston Road Underground Station at 10:08viaMetropolitan line to Northwick Park


Metropolitan line to Northwick Park
Journey time:
2 min

Step 4​


DepartNorthwick Park Underground Station at 10:10viaWalk to Kenton Station


Walk to Kenton Station
Journey time:
9 min

View directions

Arrive atKenton Station at 10:19Kenton Station
 

Sealink

Member
Joined
16 Aug 2006
Messages
886
Location
Bridport
By the ticket purchase fiasco I am sure no one had bought this ticket before (going back a few years) - it's a simple journey too.

Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street with First Great Western, Network Gold card discount and a £5 First Class upgrade. Think this would have been my one and only time on an Adelante.

Had to go back to ticket office as they'd sold me a Weekend First upgrade (on a weekday) - missed the first train due to the queues and the amount of time it took to sort everything.

On way back guard accused me of fare evasion as he'd never heard of the Gold Card upgrade.
All in all a stressful day out!
 

steamybrian

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2010
Messages
2,003
Location
Kent
John Betjeman wrote that in the mid-1950s he bought a First Class single from South Hampstead to Primrose Hill (called Chalk Farm then), next station along the DC Line, and it came out headed LNWR, having been in stock for at least 35 years previously
Prenationalisation tickets were still available on sale at stations until well into the 1970s. The last one I purchased was a Southern Railway (pre 1948) from Martin Mill in Kent. Until about 1990 on sale at Addiscombe were platform tickets of early British Railways design (early 1950s) with a printed price of 1d.
 

steamybrian

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2010
Messages
2,003
Location
Kent
I have a very large collection of tickets dating back to the 1800s some of which are illustrated on other websites.
Here is one to travel on a goods train in January 1968 over part of the Cuckoo Line which had by then closed to passengers but was completely closed a few months later. I have covered over (most) of my real name.
 

Attachments

  • brake van permit.jpg
    brake van permit.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 62
Joined
5 Sep 2018
Messages
234
Split tickets have meant that a lot of unusual journeys don't result in unusual tickets. For example, when we travelled from long Buckby to Llangynllo last Easter, we split at Birmingham New Street and Knighton. It's a shame I'm not rich enough to spend the extra on through tickets!

My closest station used to be Pevensey Bay. The most unusual ticket I can remember that wasn't a split, was a Pevensey Bay to Newton for Hyde advance single.

My wife's ticket from Pevensey Bay is in the ticket wall at Northampton station - I really want to fill in Cottingley (before it closes) when I go to Leeds on Saturday, but it's almost twice the price of splitting.
 

Rover

Member
Joined
23 Sep 2011
Messages
557
Location
Derbyshire
I bet that there were a few 'creative' journeys produced when the Persil offer ticket was on in the 1980's!
A wonderful ticket. Chesterfield to Keith Jn out via the east coast and Aberdeen and back via Inverness and the west coast - or was it the other way round?
 

Western 52

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2020
Messages
1,672
Location
Burry Port
40 years ago, using the free ticket offer BR had if you bought a student railcard in March, I asked for a return to Thurso at Cardiff Central. The ticket clerk had no idea where that was!
 

mervyn72

Member
Joined
23 Jul 2015
Messages
192
I got a strange look from the guard when I asked her for a single to Prestwick International Airport after getting on at Whitley Bridge. For a short while in my early twenties, that was my local station. I think it was £40 something with my railcard which I thought was reasonable
 

Howardh

Established Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
9,799
Lostock to Lostock Graham. And yes, it was a journey I needed to make, and not for the heck of it!
 

swidnod

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2010
Messages
569
Hi Gang;

During the InterCity 21 promotions...either £4,£8 or £12 Savers, I got a return from Leuchars - Shanklin(IOW). Outbound route was overnight 1V62 from Leuchars to Cheltenham, a Class 50 from there to Reading, a 33 to Basingstoke, a different 33 to Southampton, then somehow to Portsmouth for the ferry (included) and then to Shanklin. Return was same as outbound to Basingstoke, then direct to Waterloo, 85026 from Euston on a B'Ham Int additional (Mk1s), into BNS and back via Derby York and the ECML..not bad for £12.
 

LMS 4F

Member
Joined
11 Aug 2019
Messages
420
Back in the day. when I and a friend were track bashing we would pick a small station, Fitzwilliam was a regular, as our starting point and another as our destinatio. The advantage was that guards who checked our tickets often had no idea where we coming from or going to and seldom asked. We could then stray off approved routes to bash a bit more track.
Never challenged on many occasions we played this card.
 

Leogilbert007

Member
Joined
1 Nov 2024
Messages
162
Location
Born under the Brixton sun
What are some tickets you've used that you think virtually nobody else has bought?

For example, recently I travelled from Shepreth (Cambs) to Leigh (Kent) on one ticket, and thanks to a split ticket, possess a Yarmouth (Wight) to Royston advance.
Not that obscure but
  • Gipsy Hill - Clapham Junction - Reading - Totnes Advance Single on a random Friday evening arriving at 21;49
  • Southern season ticket from Gipsy Hill to Balham (don’t think many people hold one due to the prevalence of PAYGo but it’s cheaper with my 16-17 saver)
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top