• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: obscure rail tickets you've used

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farigiraf

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2023
Messages
1,206
Location
Bridge on the River Cam
What are some tickets you've used that you think virtually nobody else has bought?

For example, recently I travelled from Shepreth (Cambs) to Leigh (Kent) on one ticket, and thanks to a split ticket, possess a Yarmouth (Wight) to Royston advance.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Joined
21 Aug 2011
Messages
1,824
A circular saver for 2 ppx from Ellesmere Port to Portsmouth, out via Cambridge & back via Oxford, using a Voyager card (September 1987).

I remember taking an old copy of the BR Fares Manual to Runcorn station a few days before in case I needed to explain to the man in the booking office what Circular Savers and Voyager Cards were. I did. It took him the nest part of half an hour to write out the ticket.
 

AJM580

Member
Joined
31 Jan 2016
Messages
655
Location
Norwich
Norwich to Windermere return ticket. Was valid via Manchester or WCML so went out via Manchester and back via WCML.

Great Yarmouth - Grindleford return.
 

CarltonA

Member
Joined
22 Apr 2012
Messages
878
Location
Thames Valley
Slough to Woking via Windsor. Four trains needed outward and five on the return thanks to a points fault near Egham on the day. Other routes available via Reading or London.
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,367
Wonder how many Aberdeen-Penzance via London walk up tickets have ever been sold?

I'd imagine the vast majority of people doing that journey are enthusiasts going for the direct XC service.
 

totally

Member
Joined
13 Mar 2012
Messages
67
Wonder how many Aberdeen-Penzance via London walk up tickets have ever been sold?

I'd imagine the vast majority of people doing that journey are enthusiasts going for the direct XC service.
Why would you buy a via London ticket to travel on the direct route?
 

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,367
Why would you buy a via London ticket to travel on the direct route?
I did travel via London.

Merely wondering how much demand there is for Aberdeen-Penzance via London. I'd assume very little.
 

A S Leib

Established Member
Joined
9 Sep 2018
Messages
3,390
  • A Knockholt – Paddock Wood single (most people buying those probably have travelcards or season tickets; I tapped out / in at Knockholt)
  • An advance ticket from Tiverton Parkway to Clapham Junction, changing at Reading, when I suspect most people trying to go from Exeter to Hemel Hempstead cheaply by train would be going via Salisbury
  • High Wycombe – Winchester's 178 passengers per year, so I think a ticket via Reading counts
  • An advance single from Nuneaton to Sheffield changing at Tamworth and Derby rather than Tamworth or Birmingham New Street (not massively strange)
The problem for me is that a lot of my relatively unusual journeys (e.g. a planned one from York to Doncaster out via Selby and back via Wakefield) are using less unusual tickets, although that at least makes this thread more interesting.
 
Last edited:

Oxfordblues

Member
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
1,132
I privilege accompanied bicycle single from Minffordd (High Level) to Tanygrisiau. The guard wanted to see the bike's priv card!
 

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Joined
20 Dec 2022
Messages
4,648
Location
Greater Manchester
I didn't personally use this, but I bought two Atherton -> Hag Fold Accompanied Child Tickets, I thought those had stopped being issued years ago.
I can't imagine many people have gotten that ticket, I'm pretty sure you need a staff member to issue it, and it's only a 2 minute journey (got it from the ticket office at Atherton station).

Also when the ticket journey data was revealed for the first time I found multiple journeys only I had done, but that was only within that year.
 

A S Leib

Established Member
Joined
9 Sep 2018
Messages
3,390
A Manors – Newcastle advance single (for a journey continuing to Carlisle).

A single from Alnmouth to Acklington as another one-stop example in the North East.
 
Last edited:

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,122
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
Summer 1976 (more than 28 years after nationalisation!): Farncombe to Godalming First Class single....issued by yours truly at Guildford passimeter office on Southern Railway First Class 'blank to blank' Edmondson card stock. All above board, paid and fully-accounted for at the time....I just wish that I had a fountain pen with me at the time instead of a crummy old BR-issue Biro. I still have that ticket somewhere.
 

James H

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2014
Messages
1,548
Quite proud of my Elephant & Castle to Rosslare ticket - can't have been many of those
 

Mainline421

Member
Joined
7 May 2013
Messages
914
Location
Aberystwyth
Probably used quite a few tickets that no one else has ever bought but Pokesdown to March and Pokesdown to Carrick-on-Shannon are the ones that spring to mind.
 

Bill57p9

Member
Joined
1 Dec 2019
Messages
900
Location
Ayrshire
Swansea to Wick via London open return, back in the early 90s.
My grandmother had a priv card, which allowed me as an under 16 travelling with her to get any return for £1. We travelled all over the network together over the years. That return basically gave carte Blanche to go anywhere west or north of London.
 

45107

On Moderation
Joined
3 May 2014
Messages
324
Not used ‘em my self but in the days of the ‘old’ BR Free Pass (pre 83), I’m aware of (amongst other permutations)

Bat & Ball - Bowling
Carbis Bay -Wemyss Bay
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,321
On the old generation DLR ticket machines, I bought a child single from Royal Victoria to Custom House, two stations within sight of one another.

It wasn't for travel. Out for a walk one hot summer Sunday afternoon, Mrs T became notably thirsty. There was a Coca-Cola vending machine there. However, it only took coins (I said it was old generation times). I only had paper money with me. There was nowhere nearby for change. No pub. The refrigerator in the drinks machine hummed away. The sun beat down. Mrs T looked so longingly at the bottles inside the glass ...

However there was a DLR ticket machine, took £5 notes and gave change. The absolute cheapest ticket, after a quick review, was this child single, at times when it was something like 60p. Out came the ticket, and £4.40 in coins as change. Mission accomplished.
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,682
Location
Solihull
North Downs Day Ranger seems obscure, none of the barriers i tried it on accepted it (though i got through with operator intervention - though they did take a long look at the ticket as they hadn't seen or even heard of one before!) Guards on the trains who saw it also said they hadn't seen one before!
 

Bradford PA

Member
Joined
3 Jun 2024
Messages
87
Location
Luton
A friend of mine in the 1980's travelled regularly between his home in Feltham and his parents in Ben Rhydding. The return half of the monthly ticket took some creative trips as he used it for the purposes of football groundhopping. Apparently, many onboard staff assumed that Ben Rhydding was situated north of the border, thus allowing for even greater flexibility in his journeys.
 

pitdiver

Established Member
Joined
22 Jan 2012
Messages
1,290
Location
Warsop Vale
Back in the day when you had to pay for a bike on BR there was a passenger at Moor Park who purchased a Bicycle Season Ticket. Naturally lt had a photo card. (BR trains stopped at Moor Park in those days)
 

Snow1964

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2019
Messages
11,218
Location
West Wiltshire
Had a handwritten Edmonson size ticket from Clapham Junction to Coventry in mid 1980s, student single.

It was days before TVMs and I got it early weekend evening and the one ticket window that was open gained a queue of about 20 people whilst he found the fares and blank ticket stock which someone had locked away
 

Wolvercoter

Member
Joined
29 Sep 2010
Messages
613
Location
Exeter, Devon
Pretty sure I'm the only person to have bought a Marsh Barton MBT to Malden Manor ticket so far... but as MBT is a new station, I suppose there are plenty of journeys yet to be made.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top