I travel to Whitby several times a year and the train is always busy, often rammed. This service should run regardless of the operating costs.
Similarly, I use the Bentham line frequently and it is usually busy. This should take precedence. With regards to intermediate stations, why bother closing them when savings will be miniscule and the options of destinations for rail travellers will be further reduced?
Your whole argument boils down to the cost of maintenance versus fare box revenue, yet there are many more thousands of miles of underused roadway and cycle track which all require maintaining and don't bring in any fare box revenue at all, yet there seems to be a consensus that these must be maintained at taxpayers expense for all eternity, which is an unjustifiable double standard.
Typical deluded railway fantasist, the fundamental FACT is road is the main form of transport in this country. I suspect the costs of such as Whitby and the Bentham are outrageous compared to the benefit they give, time for Beeching 2 in view and get rid of some these railway money cesspits.